A viable anti-static solution

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dcarwin, Jun 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was inspired by this posting I read here about a DIY anti-static solution. I've been running my version for about a week now, as I wanted to make sure it worked before sharing it here. I can confirm that LPs are lifting off the platter without static crackles now, and that they are sliding back into their sleeves much easier than they come out. I am not going so far as to say that every single trace of static is completely gone after a single play, but I will say that after playing each side of an LP there is less static in the disc than before playing it. We've got two turntables running in the house, and the static solution is only set up on one of them. Static builds on the turntable with out the solution, and dissipates on the one where I have the brush running. It is a very nice feeling to lift a disc off the platter and have it feel like inert plastic versus some kind of active static monster.

The solution isn't novel or particularly innovative, it's a DIY scaled down version of solutions that are in place in factories everywhere. You need a conductive carbon brush with an anchor point for a grounding wire, and you need to make sure that grounding wire makes it to an earth point. I'm using the panel screw on the wall plate (after I verified that the screw was indeed grounded using a multi-meter).

[​IMG]

The toughest part for me was sourcing a good quality brush at a reasonable price. If you are blessed to have old computer printers laying about you might be able to disassemble one and cannibalize the brush that most printers have built in. I ended up ordering my brush from Amstat Industries. Four inches was the smallest size I could order and cost was twenty four dollars for the brush and twelve for shipping for a total of thirty-six dollars for the brush to my door. I know that in the UK there are similar manufacturers of anti-static brushes one could source.

I've seen the commercially available anti-static record arms as well, that perform the same function. I like to believe that this DIY version has more bristles in play across a larger surface area than the store-bought version, and I can have it making contact with both sides of the LP at the edge. I'd read that static will travel to the underside of an LP while it's being played, so I positioned the brush make contact with the top, bottom, and edge of the spinning LP. When I'm done listening I can slide the assembly back and replace the dust cover easily on the turntable.

Thanks for reading. :) Hope this helps someone.

Leonthepro likes this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I have my doubts about this an actual improvement. You're moving electrons. These are subatomic particles. A larger path isn't likely to improve anything. The path ground is what is important. As far as contacting both sides go, the friction is from the stylus onto the record that is creating the static electricity. So there probably isn't any additional benefit either. But nothing I've said negates that you're seeing dissipation of static. I just don't see much logic that it's an improved solution over the commercially available option.

dcarwin likes this.
  3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Or you could just play CDs...:D

Seriously, I find the static issue thing interesting as I live in the Idaho high desert where it's quite dry. I run two different Techincs turntables with their factory rubber mats and find that a quick preen with one of the brushes I use (Parastat or AT 6012) with a light spritz on the brush of about 90-10 mix of distilled water and 99% iso eliminates any static issues. I usually follow the preening with a CF brush for good measure.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    dcarwin likes this.
  4. dcarwin

Understood, I have no way to measure whether this is more or less effective than the store bought version.

5. dcarwin

Yeah, it's the preening, spritzing, and brushing process that I'm able to avoid now. I've in the past had to head to the cleaning station for a spray-down for some records.

6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Dude! That's part of the whole vinyl experience!! ;) I've been doing that since the late 60's through the mid-80's which I credit for why my LPs from those years (most of my collection) still sound so good.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    dcarwin likes this.
  7. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I have seen this and thought I'd like to at least try it even though I'm skeptical.

I'll probably wait until winter though as I don't have static problems in summer.

Do you have the brush actually TOUCHING the platter or vinyl? I can't tell from your photo.

8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

My solution I’ve been doing for several years:

- One or two BOUNCE brand unscented fabric side Tung dryer cloths that have been completely run through a drying cycle.

- Smooth them out stack two together and fold into quarter size.

- Very lightly wipe the record surface before play. Free, safe, and easy!

Dave Mac likes this.
  9. dcarwin

Yes, I have it touching.

10. Phil Thien

I also wonder if belt drive tables are more susceptible to the
    The original which inspired you has an air gap I think, so?

I do know that if I connect my platter/motor bracket/whatever to my ground, that I get some switch-mode noise into my signal. The noise comes from the motor's PCB.

11. dcarwin

The brush itself came with instructions, indicating that it can be used with or without direct contact. Without direct contact, static must reach a threshold before it will jump the air gap. Therefore static will build up, but not above that threshold. With direct contact there is no threshold to overcome. I'm not hearing any motor noise.

12. Phil Thien

Are you worried about wear of the platter?

13. dcarwin

No, as the brush is not rubbing the platter. There's a 5mm mat under there lifting up the record.
    The carbon bristles have the texture of fine human hair, they're very delicate. So even if there was contact I would not expect any measurable wear or friction.

14. Phil Thien

I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I thought it was touching the platter and the album. So just the album. Copy that.

dcarwin likes this.
  15. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

If your TT allows, use a ground wire from your platter bearing/asembly to the ground wire/lug/post on the TT. Then check for continuity to confirm installation. As the platter spins the LP and generates static, the static will have a way to ground via the groundwire that you just installed. It is easy to install on some TTs and difficult on others due to the materials used.

VinylSoul likes this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Nice work. I made a very rough version of the stat strap myself as a prototype. I jumbled together bits that I had at home basically.

I've been planning on making a nicer version and had been trying to source some sort of brush. Amstat won't ship their anti static brush to Canada unfortunately.

17. dcarwin

eddiel likes this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It doesn't even have to touch the record. You can have it 2-3 mm away.

19. Phil Thien

When I do this, I'll likely cut some fibers off an old carbon fiber brush and crimp them in a quick disconnect ferrule.

I'm so glad I never throw anything away.

eddiel likes this.
  20. Phil Thien

Right, that is the way I'll make mine. When I get "round-t0-it."

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I thought of doing that but have only one brush that I use. I also had this vision of bristles blowing all over the place :)

The one I made used the braid from a coax cable. It worked but it's a bit of a mess so want to make something more refined.

22. dcarwin

[​IMG]

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

This reminds me that i need to try this myself. Read the article long ago.

I think Ill be making my wood construction holding the bristles and wire attach to the 45 adapter hole on my Technics.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    dcarwin likes this.
  24. Leonthepro

I find cold climates to be more of a problem.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  25. Leonthepro

I think non touch is better also because having a brush rubbing constatly should create static also. Although the market brush arms work so what do I know.

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.