Aaron Hernandez specials

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Duke Fame, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome Thread Starter

Did anyone catch either of the Aaron Hernandez specials? We don't have Netflix but we did catch the one on Investigation Discovery. It was a pretty good watch, even the wife really got into it and she could care less about football players.

I'd really be interested to hear from anyone that watched both specials to hear about the differences and which one you thought was better.

I was quite surprised about how much of that story I'd either forgotten about or never knew.

2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I am nto a football fan and never paid attention to his story, but the Netflix special was really good...that guy was pure evil...very well done.

Brenald79, Szeppelin75 and Duke Fame like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

My mom and I caught the special on Netflix.

Duke Fame likes this.
  4. Duke Fame

Yeah, I don't think I followed it religiously or anything but I was certainly aware of it. The part of the story I either completely forgot about or just don't remember was him being tried for the double murder after already being sent to prison for the Odin killing. I don't know how much of that was covered in the version you saw, but the ID special covered it and it seemed like Hernandez was the beneficiary of a good team of lawyers on that one. Did the Netflix version cover Hernandez shooting his buddy in the face?

Chip Z likes this.
  5. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

IIRC, there wasn't much about Hernandez shooting his buddy in the face. It mostly emphasized the Odin murder ant then the events that resulted in the second trial. Much of the Netflix special was about how he seemed to have ended up at that point. Not great parents, closeted, CTE. Big emphasis on these "excuses" it seems to me.

Duke Fame likes this.
  6. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

As someone who's experienced multiple head injuries, I find the topic of cte very fascinating. I experienced at least a couple of severe ones as a child and to this day I still wonder if it's the reason my short term memory can be poor and I can be a 'slow learner.' The ones from adulthood have also seemed to cause problems. Generally, teachers and professors were often not much of a help for me since my brain seemed to not process instructions the best. I'm also one of those people who gets accused of 'not listening' because I forget so easily or can't remember directions, sequences, etc. There could be some overlap with possible add/adhd. My level of retention with reading and films is also really low as well. Often I'll watch a movie or read something and barely remember anything at all unless I take good notes. For example, I had a close group of friends growing up who'd stand outside the theater and discuss movies in length afterwards and I'd just stand there barely remembering the events of the film. Was usually the same way with novels growing up and rarely participated in discussions because I couldn't recall much of the story.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  7. Duke Fame

Yeah, the ID one also covered those same things. The one thing that really didn't get covered was why he shot Odin to begin with.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  8. glide

glide Forum Resident

Not sure I consider any of those things excuses but rather explanations.

Edgard Varese likes this.
  9. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

The Netflix doc did cover Hernandez shooting his "buddy/drug dealer" in the face.

What i still dont know is why he shot and killed Odin.

BeatleBruceMayer and Duke Fame like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I thought the Netflix doc did a good job of sequencing the events of shooting his buddy in the face and his buddy’s testimony of the 2nd murder trial. It’s so confusing but the Netflix doc did a good job of that.

And it’s a really crazy documentary.

Szeppelin75 and Duke Fame like this.
  11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The Netflix doc had a theory of why he killed Odin.

12. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

The head injuries? Odin saying Aaron was gay?

13. Tried watching one - I thought it was on Reelz. Bailed. Poorly done. Started the one on Netflix. MUCH better. Will finish it this weekend.

14. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

The Netflix doc speculated, I believe, that Odin had caught Aaron in a compromising situation, concerning his alleged bisexuality. No evidence or corroboration was presented that I recall, though.

In the double murder trial, Aaron's legal team essentially turned the case such that it seemed said buddy he shot in the face (allegedly?) was actually the one who killed the two men from the club and that it wasn't Aaron who shot the guy in the face, but rather a drug deal turned sour, and said buddy ended up being shot in the face.

It's all rather sad and I would concur that CTE and the crappy parents and his being closeted weren't "excuses" but rather, a series of events that culminated in an already undisciplined, unstable person thinking he was untouchable who went on to commit murder, multiple times.

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Some of phone calls from jail in the Netflix doc were chilling. Like when he’s talking to his agent who tells him he’s losing his Nike sponsorship and Aaron asks if he can get sponsored by Smith & Wesson.

The loyalty of the wife through the trials was strong but she does not come across good at all from the doc. During the first trial she’s being asked by the prosecutor what it looks like Aaron has in his hand in home security footage and said “I can’t tell what that is, it just looks like black blob.” Lol

toddrhodes and Duke Fame like this.
  16. Duke Fame

Looks like the Netflix version covered a couple of things that the ID version didn't. The reason for the Odin shooting being one of them. The wife didn't really come off all that good in the ID version either, but more because she was the type who'd let him walk all over her. They covered a scene where Odin's girlfriend came over to grieve at her house and Aaron's on the phone with her instructing her to go to the basement and grab a box and dispose of it. She doesn't ask questions or look at the contents. She just goes and dumps it.

toddrhodes likes this.
  17. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

They did show the footage of her disposing of the box which allegedly contained the murder weapon on Netflix as well.

I've seen "memes" praising his GF and his aunt for their loyalty. Like they should be glorified for protecting a madman. I mean, I guess that's one perspective. I don't share it, and I'm not saying I condone snitching either, but murder is beyond the pale, IMO.

Duke Fame likes this.
  18. Duke Fame

In the ID version they showed her on the stand being asked about the box and it's contents and she said she didn't know what it was but that it smelled like skunk so she thought it was weed.

toddrhodes likes this.
  19. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Aaron seemed to really like the *skunky* weed -- that word got mentioned several times in the Netflix documentary, IIRC.

Duke Fame likes this.
  20. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I haven't watched the third episode of the Netflix special yet but it seems to me this guy was mentally ill, exacerbated by his confused sexuality and poor poor parenting. Makes for one scary individual.

Duke Fame likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Odin’s girlfriend and Hernandez’s wife are sisters.

22. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

How crappy is that, when your own sister knows that her boyfriend killed your boyfriend. And she helped hide evidence. Even though on the witness stand she pretended like she didn't know what she was disposing off, she did. They even show a text where Hernandez texts her 'if you want to know where it is, it's in the safe', or something along those lines. Next thing you know, she's taking out the trash that clearly has a box in it.

Brenald79 and Duke Fame like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.