ABBA - CD Album Box Set - 27 May 2022 Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, May 27, 2022.

1. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

I'm glad that there's a version of the album with these 2 songs unsegued.

I don't think it's a good idea to fade out studio recording into cheering of live recording.

mpayan, andrewskyDE, Simon A and 7 others like this.
  2. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

Yes I meant that, right! Anyway it's still one generation earlier than the album master they used for the previous boxsets

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    Freelander and Jarleboy like this.
  3. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

The last thing I need is another ABBA box set, right? Probably right. But based on the comments made here, and on the visual side of things, I managed to persuade myself. I do need a collection of consistent mastering choices, and this one seems to have a lot going for it.

So, what can I lose? Only money, money, money.

You know what? I did need this collection. :agree:

4. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

Same ‍;)

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  5. Jarleboy

Good to know I am not alone. :righton: I did not have a hard time persuading myself into buying the set. Mr Persuasion, if you get the allusion. (I am sure you do... :agree:)

6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

So it seems these may be the newer iTunes remasters and not the horrid remasters everyone has been fearing?

I will likely bite on this as the only ABBA I own are the two W. German target GH volumes and a Polydor Live CD.

Giobacco and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

£46? I'll wait for a price drop. I already have the previous box.

EG.

jl151080, 905 and Jarleboy like this.
  8. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I am not necessarily hung up on DR numbers either but the numbers on this set don’t hold up against GH 1 and 2 and The Singles First 10 Years all of which sound great. I might just hang on to my little £12 black box.

905 likes this.
  9. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

I agree about DR numbers, they don't say it all. But this box, unlike the previous ones, is also probably sourced from the stereo mixdown tapes (that were transfered to 24-bit in the late 90's), not from the album masters, so from earlier generation tapes. This is another clue that it could sound much better. Waiting for my copy to arrive to compare.

10. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

yep I will look forward to actual “ears” reviews of this box as it might move up my shopping list. I just have a slight fear it is mastered to sound clear and bright for streaming platforms as so many recent compilation releases appear to be.

905 and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

Yes, it could be... but we must also say that the early cds were cut from the lp eq'd masters. While they were very dymanic and sounded very much like the lps (same eq), they were digitized with very early ADCs, and not from the best tapes avaliable for CD mastering. So there is still some hope...

Kristofa, stillrockin and Jarleboy like this.
  12. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

Nothing bright here. Warm and balanced sound on the new box set :)

andrewskyDE, ispace, cmi and 6 others like this.
  13. Jarleboy

I could kiss you. :love:

But I won´t. Just so happy that some new, improved ABBA albums could find their way to my stereo system. I recently bought a great 4K/Blu-ray/DVD/CD etc player, and I can´t wait to try out these new CDs.

bob60, ARK, anduandi and 3 others like this.
  14. Giobacco

Giobacco Forum Resident

Good to know! Thanks!!
    How do you find it in comparison to the other masterings? (1997/2001 and 2005-2008)

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Where’s the best place to purchase this in the US?

16. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

Thanks for sharing all of the great findings so far! You should get a cut for pushing it on us:nyah: hehe

True, great Carl Magnus Palm write ups, and Full lyrics! The previous 1997 has a short retrospective by 'Tobler' and black and white photos! lol

Same, I've just purchased it too due to the surprising findings reported on this thread! It's not so bonkers, I have duplicates of duplicates. OH and Voyage again so soon:nyah:

Jon_UK and Jarleboy like this.
  17. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

I'm hoping for The Visitors, that some of the tape issues such as the pop in "All of those great romances" in 'One Of Us' and the dropout in "Tired shuffling feet" in 'I Am The City' are fixed.

I'm so happy 'Dancing Queen' is finally corrected! Have we confirmed if The Album's Side A has the same sound issue as every Digital Release, bar 'Eagle? Reading the rest of Side A appears to be from Non-Distorted Tapes is excellent news though!

They were smart to issue new to CD Remasters, for another CD Box Set release; Uni/Polar have our money again! hehe

If the sound is indeed superior, it'll make us want the other B-Sides and non-album tracks n this manner. If 'The Visitors' is good, I'll want to hear Cassandra from the same Remaster series. I hope the booklet is good, oh the credits should indicate the Remastering?

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    ispace and Jarleboy like this.
  18. NTG

NTG Forum Resident

Except the “Lay all your love on me” clean ending, did they use the Deluxe Edition Remaster of Super Trouper or is this a completely new Remaster?

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Looking forward to more reports. I've got all the old WG originals and the Deluxes so I'm fairly happy but I'm down for a cheap upgrade.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Jarleboy and GoodKitty like this.
  21. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Any reason why this is missing Cassandra? The band don't like it?

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Cassandra could be explained away by the inclusion of Put On Your White Sombrero, as it recycled the latter's melody. I Am The City, You Owe Me One, Dream World, Crazy World and Medley, amongst others, are all missing too.

Jarleboy and sathvyre like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I shouldn’t worry about the problem with I Am The City as it’s not actually on the new boxset.

:D

Jarleboy and FrankieMax like this.
  24. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

The new mastering reminds me of the Deluxe Editions (ecept "The Album" and "Arrival" which were the 2005 remasters on the Deluxe Edition).

Jarleboy and Giobacco like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Has anyone listened to The Visitors yet? Is it free of the issues on the DE?

Jarleboy likes this.