ABBA single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

"Chiquitita" "Lovelight"

I think Benny has said this is one of his favorite ABBA songs/compositions. This might be one of the love it-or hate it songs from past thread experience. To me it comes off a bit like a novelty song. Like I Do (5x,) it makes the older audience smile, and in a way that "makes me happy" seeing people get pleasure from a sing-a-long song, that just doesn't quite do it for me. But lucky us in the USA, Atlantic gave us a better track first as a single! :D

But in a way, it didn't make a lot of sense. In early 1979 ABBA appeared on a well watched television show with ONJ, the Bee Gees etc. etc. sang "Chiquitita," a new track and yet (Atlantic) didn't release it as the new single, even with the free promotion from the show??? By the way I don't mind the song, just prefer an edited version. Like other songs on the album it is just too long.........

Great b-side and former non-LP track, as nearly everything has been tied into a CD release now. But...... I recall a time when singles were "collectible." (Using my best "geezer" voice.) :)

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I remember Olivia singing The Key on that show...It was one of the worst songs of the night!

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  3. John Adam

First ABBA thread posters, sorry for this little interlude!

Why I preach, buy the single! Often a surprise on the B-sides. Here's one I know you can relate to, even though it was on the A-side. Totally Hot remix, on the single only.........Well not in the UK, cough, cough!
    Even though I don't like Totally Hot, the song, I bought the single. Best surprise ever. Well almost. :D

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. John Adam

Wasn't what I would of expected from her at that time. Was kind of a downer, wasn't it?

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Fleetwood Mac may not have been there, but Stevie Nicks did donate the then-unreleased "Beautiful Child" to the cause.

Also, though ABBA may have lip-synched to "Chiquitita," it didn't stop the audience from taking part. I distinctly remember rhythmic clapping as the song entered its instrumental denouement, which was present both on the TV special and on the UNICEF LP.

6. John Adam

Great song! That would of been a good choice. I think that "If It Wasn't For The Nights" in a edited version also would of made a great first single. Plus it would of livened things up if they would of sung that at the "The Music for UNICEF Concert: A Gift of Song." Just because you are trying to raise money doesn't mean everything has to be so somber........

7. Bobby Morrow

It was like she found the worst song she could so she wouldn’t lose much money.:D

The Key was written by one of the guys who wrote Please Don’t Keep Me Waiting (!). It was such a drag I’m amazed Olivia was able to stay awake throughout her performance.

8. John Adam

ABBA should of been honored to be in the Top 5 with these classic artists and songs! And yes, Heart of Glass is a much better song!

Porkpie, bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

What a great top 5, what a time to be young!

10. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

'If It Wasn't for the Nights' was originally intended to be the lead single from 'Voulez-Vous'. ABBA performed the song in Japan in November 1978 and on the Mike Yarwood Christmas Show in December 1978. However, once they recorded 'Chiquitita', plans to release 'IIWFTN' as a single were ditched.

11. cut to the chase

'As Good as New' is one of ABBA's most underrated songs and definitely single material. It's probably my favourite track from 'Voulez-Vous'.

It was released as a single in Mexico, where it became their 8th and last number one hit.

Kirk76, Jarleboy, ralph7109 and 3 others like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

gja586, Jarleboy, LarsO and 1 other person like this.
  13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Well she seems happy anyway. ;)

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

The thing is As Good As New hadn't even been written at this juncture (Dec.'78 - Jan. '79) This and I Have A Dream were the last songs to be completed for VV in mid March 1979. In fact, nearly half of Voulez-Vous was recorded between January and March so when it came to the Unicef event and the single, they went with what they had available at the time.

I have to single out Chiquitita as the song that drew me in when I was 2 years old. Someone in my family must have played the heck out of it and I’m told I became obsessed with it. (I don’t remember any of this of course but it’s probably true…) Voulez-Vous was the first album I’ve ever owned –it was given to me by my godmother who used to own a record store (something I find totally badass in this age of streaming and playlists…) I still have it and, inexplicably, it’s still playable despite the fact that it was owned by a toddler… :D I might pull it out tonight and give it a spin.

This album is a rare instance where I don’t mind the bonus tracks on the deluxe edition (I pretend that the 1997/2001 remasters never happened…)

15. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

ABBA Singles That Weren't: If It Wasn't For The Nights (1979)
    Intended release date: December 1979

'If It Wasn't For The Nights' was originally meant to be the first single from Voulez-Vous. Like the abandoned 'Hole In Your Soul' single, the mix intended for single release was different to that which was eventually issued. But, unlike 'Hole In Your Soul', the single mix is available courtesy of a Japanese TV performance from November 1978.

The first thing to note is that it's much shorter than the album version. The second is that the strings which are a feature of the album are buried in the mix while keyboard and guitar parts are generally more prominent.

Like 'Hole In Your Soul', it got pretty close to release. On November 1, Polar advised its licencees to expect delivery of a new single on November 13 and a disc cutting session for the Scandinavian single release was scheduled for November 16. But Bjorn and Benny got cold feet and the plans for a single were cancelled at short notice.

The issue was that they weren't happy with the recording, even trying to rerecord it with US session musicians during the visit to Miami which produced 'Voulez-Vous'. They then extensively remixed the track for inclusion on the Voulez-Vous album.

Even then, it seems that they disliked the track. While Voulez-Vous was extensively mined for singles, 'If It Wasn't For The Nights' was never issued by Polar as either an A-side or a B-side. It was, however, performed on the group's 1979 Tour.

Abba singles that weren't will be back after 'Does Your Mother Know'...

greelywinger, gja586, Mylene and 5 others like this.
  16. cut to the chase

I'm glad they didn't release 'If It Wasn't for the Nights' as a single. It's too repetitve and not catchy enough IMO.

Jarleboy and MerseyBeatle like this.
  17. John Adam

Just shortening the track makes with much more listenable, because as cut to the chase said, it is rather repetitive. But not as much as the title track. One of the many singles it seems that "weren't."
    On a side note with the upcoming "Abbatar" promotion, seeing this video, I hope they do use 1979 (early) as a prototype of ABBA in concert. They really did look good that year. Those legs! Nuff said. :D

Jarleboy and Luxury_Liner like this.
  18. cut to the chase

My top 20 so far:

01 (01) Knowing Me, Knowing You
    02 (02) SOS
    03 (03) Dancing Queen
    04 (04) Money, Money, Money
    05 (05) The Name of the Game
    06 (06) Eagle
    07 (07) Thank You for the Music
    08 (08) Fernando
    09 (NEW) Chiquitita
    10 (09) Mamma Mia

11 (10) Take a Chance on Me
    12 (NEW) Lovelight
    13 (11) Summer Night City
    14 (12) Hasta Mañana
    15 (13) Another Town, Another Train
    16 (14) I Do x5
    17 (15) Ring Ring
    18 (17) So Long
    19 (16) I'm a Marionette
    20 (18) I've Been Waiting for You

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I agree, although I always liked "Chiquitita" well enough. I know it gets slagged as a "Fernando" ripoff - and I think "Fernando" is a better cut - but kudos to the band for signing over the rights to UNICEF. I think I might have had this as a single . . . somehow . . because I remember seeing the UNICEF bit written on a record label. It is interesting that ABBA did a second Latin-tinged hit, and even more interesting that it was a massive success in Latin America. They really knocked it out of the park. Along with "Money Money Money" this always struck me as the most foreign-sounding of ABBA's American hits.

I will say, the finale of the song is pretty stirring. As someone mentioned above, I wish that went on 30 seconds longer.

20. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Dance Frida....dance!

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. John Adam

I must of been the toddler playing in the yard behind your house! I don't remember Chiquitita or playing Abba either. My Mom bought be the Visitors album thinking it was going to be like Dancing Queen or something. No wonder I'm so serious! :D

Great story Luxury Liner! I have a couple of records too that survived my youth.

22. John Adam

My Top Ten ABBA singles: The First Half of Thread

1) SOS
    2) Fernando
    3) Take A Chance On Me
    4) Knowing Me Knowing You
    5) Waterloo
    6) Dancing Queen
    7) The Name Of The Game
    8) Honey Honey
    9) Another Town Another Train
    10) Ring Ring

23. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Somewhat abominable.

ralph7109 likes this.
  24. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

B. Bu Po, Colocally and tin ears like this.
  25. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

I would’ve liked to have seen your reaction to the ominous synth intro and Frida singing “I hear the doorbell ring and suddenly the panic takes me…” The first time I heard that song I thought it was about space aliens and I could picture a mothership hovering over a skyline as soon as those synths kicked in.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.