Abba - Voulez-Vous. Is it an underrated album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

yeah the connection to rock your baby is somewhat well-established. Still, that alone, does not make "arrival" a disco album,.... not to me. Not in the sense that I consider VV a disco album... because VV has a wide thread of 1979 disco styles running thru it.

and yeah, Eagle has often been labeled more prog than california. but that doesnt make The Album seem like a prog OR a california album to me.

Not arguing with you here. Just wondering how anyone would classify those two albums. Does anyone else classify VV as a "disco" album, or is that just me?

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Not having grown up with ABBA, In the later 80's I bought the CD of "The Singles: The First Ten Years." I liked the second disc much better, which is where the Voulez-Vous material started. Which got me interested in the solo careers of the girls first, then on to Abba as a group. Voulez-Vous being the first original CD I bought as an adult. :)

"If It Wasn't For The Nights" seemed liked an obvious first single. Don't know how it would of fared in the USA, though. I also like the early version of "Does Your Mother Know," which might of made a fine single in that form. The title track is too long and repetitive for a radio single, it might of fared better in an edited version. But the 12" mix as a dance track, awesome! At a 2010's Record Store Day I picked up a colored 12" single of Voulez-Vous/If It Wasn't For The Nights, which I love. "Summer Night City" in it's long form would of made a grand opener to the set! The album cover, the songs are all very strong. It is one of the albums I can listen all the way through!

3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I don't classify any ABBA albums as belonging to any genres, they're all pretty eclectic. On VV, I'd say 6 out of the 10 tracks are disco influenced, some more strongly than others.

4. John Adam

I think it's a pop album influenced by the current trends in disco, for sure!

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Voulez-Vous is a landmark album for me as it was the first one I purchased when I started work. I actually bought it with my first weeks’ wages in May 1979. I’m not going to lie and say I desperately wanted it...I obviously had money in my pocket for the first time ever and I’d have even more next week so it didn’t matter if I squandered it.:) Sadly in May 1979 I was going through one of my ‘cassettes aren’t that bad’ phases so I bought it on tape. If you thought the LP packaging was minimalist, you should see the cassette.:D

I liked the album, but not as much as Arrival, The Album, or the LP that’s resided in seemingly every UK home at this point, Greatest Hits. I do actually blame the cassette for this a little as it didn’t sound great and I was pissed off that it didn’t contain the lyrics unlike the LP. I resolved this a few weeks later by swapping my tape for a guy I worked with’s LP. He was trying to start a cassette collection. The fool.:)

After this, I liked it more. I’ve since bought it on CD at least 4 times. I still prefer Arrival, The Album and Super Trouper, but Voulez-Vous is pretty damn good.

6. Wombat Reynolds

my order

1) arrival
    2) Abba
    3) super trouper
    4) VV
    5) waterloo
    6) the album
    7) visitors
    8) ring ring

altho I realize that was not the intent of the thread, sorry.

and no, I dont like the mature, introspective visitors era abba. I dislike the day before you came as well. I like the happy Abba. You know the Honey Honey Abba, and the holy cow look at Frida waving that mini skirt around on So Long, abba.

not everybody likes the same stuff you know.

7. Bobby Morrow

I think they’re hedging their bets a bit. They’re dipping their toe in the waters of disco, but are only too aware it could all go belly up at any moment.:)

8. Bobby Morrow

You don’t like The Day Before You Came?

I sentence you to listen to Me And Bobby And Bobby’s Brother 500 times as penance.:D

9. Bobby Morrow

I’m very surprised @Jarleboy hasn’t put in an appearance yet.

Jarleboy, Marble Index and John Adam like this.
  10. Wombat Reynolds

nope.

way too long, musically, dull. Her voice is nice and some of Benny's keyboard stuff is pretty.

Just goes on too long with nothing really happening.

to me, its boring.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. John Adam

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. The early image/music was more cartoon-ish. I don't dislike happy Abba, but not discovering them until I was an adult, their later material had more appeal to me. The girls were still very stunning in the late 70's and 80's. More mature music, more mature look. And this is just my humble opinion.........

12. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Just like The Beatles? ;)

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  13. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

It gets three and a half stars on Allmusic, a half-star dip from The Album and Super Trouper. I like them all so much, I never felt that it was any better or any worse than the others.

ABBA | Album Discography | AllMusic

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. John Adam

Great comparison!
    It's all good, just a different time in their careers and lives.

Jarleboy, Frosst and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Voulez-Vous" is one of the three studio ABBA albums I own, I think it's quite good. Some people may not like it because of it's disco leanings.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Well, that’s not completely true… I found Waterloo, ABBA, Greatest Hits Vol II and a Super Trouper red face all for 3 Euro or less in the last 5 years. :righton: The early CDs aren’t as abundant as the ABBA Gold CDs, but they’re still out there.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Voulez Vous, Arrival, Super Trooper, The Album - people forget how good the albums were. They sound great too - French original vinyl pressing of Voulez Vous for example.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Yost

I love Voulez-Vous, except for chiquitita. It’s in my ABBA top-3. I probably love because of its disco-inspired sound. Great tracks and lovely production, IMHO.

19. Bobby Morrow

And it was released around the same time as Donna Summer’s Bad Girls. Another great disco album. I should do a thread about that.:)

Jarleboy, Yost and John Adam like this.
  20. Mike_with_G1042

Mike_with_G1042 Forum Resident

Not another Jon Astley mastered vinyl? 'The Album" coloured singles sound very Astley to me...

21. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Ask and you shall receive. Apparently it fared no better.

ABBA - Voulez-Vous

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just to think Abba-Chess ...could have been.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. John Adam

3:45 promo edit. Should of known. Thanks Kiefer!

Jarleboy and kiefer2 like this.
  24. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

It doesn't feel quite as accomplished as some of their other albums, but with ABBA the standard is so high those sort of comparisons are almost moot. 'Angeleyes' and 'If It Wasn't For The Nights' are the songs that have aged the best for me. 'Lovelight' is another favourite of mine, so I am pleased that has been added to most versions of the album that is readily available today (along with 'Summer Night City' and 'Gimme Gimme Gimme', which are probably their best takes on the disco sound).

x

Jarleboy, Bobby Morrow and John Adam like this.
  25. Yost

This is my favourite version of Voulez-Vous nowadays. Nils Landgren Funk Unit Made a beautiful cover:

Jarleboy and TheLastVoice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.