Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I think it would be more productive to speculate what will be the content of the 3LP set. Up to now for the deluxe vinyl editions we had one extra record for each final remix. Now there are two. We also know (If I understood correctly the info from our insiders) that there will be no more than one alternative version/outtake per song. So possibly (and this is simply my speculation) the 3LP set will have one LP with the remixed Abbey Road, and the alternative album version will be spread on two LP’s (so the outtakes will be longer than the final version). Maybe the second LP will contain extended versions of the medley songs on side one, and (imagine) the whole side two with just a long jamming of “The End” (I’m not as knowledgeable as some of you and I have no idea if such a long (let say about 15 min.) jam exists, but if so, that could be great).

2. teag

teag Forum Resident

Again, the uninitiated speaking.

Unfortunately the outtakes for Abbey Road are inferior to most of their other albums. This was shown on the anthology. If this is going to be a multi disc release, it’s a pure money grab.

Tommyboy likes this.
  3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

LP1: Remixed album
    LP2: Alternate album, consisting of alternate versions of songs picked from the Deluxe
    LP3: Remixed album with second side as Side A and the first side as Side B [just to hear what that would sound like...]

:magoo:

planckera likes this.
  4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Even if I accepted your premise, that no one knows what they're talking about unless they share your point of view lol, I'm still correct: it was overwhelmingly positively received.

5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Or better yet... outtakes and remixes of Ballad Of John & Yoko, Old Brown Shoe, and You Know My Name (Look Up The Number). ;)

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That was my first thought.

pablo fanques and Lewisboogie like this.
  7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Purple Chick managed to make a 3 cd release of this album. Maybe Apple will follow suit. Throw a Blu-ray Disc in there and now it’s 4.

8. Calico

Calico Senior Member

A version of Mary Hopkin's "Que Sera Sera" with a Paul McCartney guide vocal, also recorded during the "Abbey Road" sessions, if it exists, would also be a great addition to the set.

9. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Chris Carter just played this morning on the Beatles channel, the George vocal version of "It Don't Come Easy"......and wow!!! Love it....first time I ever heard it!

10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Wow, I didn’t know Paul sang a guide vocal for Que Sera Sera. It’s one of my favorite Apple artist tracks!

theMess, Who Cares and Calico like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hare Krishna!

12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

And by that logic, if it was recorded smack in the middle of the AR sessions, it should be included. Even Ringo is on it. That right @Arnold Grove ? ;-)

Arnold Grove likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

I think so.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  14. Calico

Calico Senior Member

And George Martin lent a hand as well.
    That great Mary single has such a lovely Abbey Road vibe.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    theMess, dewey02, Who Cares and 5 others like this.
  15. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

There’s a lot of backbiting in the thread today. I honestly don’t think any harm was meant earlier in questioning Macca’s response, merely confusion over what was being said. The post about all the different configurations sparked a number of excited posts and there seemed to be excitement, denial of the six disc set and then questioning why all in quick succession and, though there was a lot of back and forth, it became clear again.

There’s no need for any name calling or bitching either. Let’s all keep it civil, we are all fans here and only want to know as much as we can as soon as we can. Also means being patient too until the announcement or a time in which more info might be leaked.

16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Well if it featured only Paul and Ringo i’m thinking, oh what the heck, include it then (even if i don’t think demos really belong since they are not Beatle tracks yet).

17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I think that valid criticism of the Peppers remix made for a better White Album remix. Which will also make for a better Abbey Road remix.

Lownote30 likes this.
  18. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I second this proposal!!

19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Unless one of the lads or their estate says no. For all we know, James Paul McCartney could veto its inclusion and put it on one of his own box sets down the road. The point is THEY have the right to include or veto anything that they wish. It's their decision, whether we want it included or not. And who's saying it WON'T be included? Mike's humorous little post??? Ron

PS Yes, Paul recorded the song during Abbey Road sessions but it was never considered for the Beatles. Expressly written for the Iveys. Paul just used 20 minutes of studio time to whip up a demo.

20. Arnold Grove

Oh, yes. We will only get what The Fabs and/or their estates agree to include.

Still scratching my head over the scratchy version of the Penny Lane promo mix. Not sure how anyone could have approved that...

21. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Why not? I just got the entire Get Back sessions on 83 "silver pressed" CDs!

22. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Always thought they used someone's personal acetate...like George Martin's. But since they never mentioned it...I guess not. Including a scratchy out of round 45 make zero sense.

23. Arnold Grove

Never explained. Probably never will be.

theMess and pablo fanques like this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The logic for including "Step Inside Love" on the White Album 50th could be used to include "Come and Get It" on Abbey Road's 50th.

25. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Me either. I hold on to the probably silly notion that the record was Paul's and somehow, someway they thought it deserved inclusion based on that fact. It makes zero sense that Giles Martin would purposefully include it since he had access to the vaults that either had a safety copy of RM11 or RM10 which is nearly the same mix. DId anyone even contact Capitol for a tape? Whatever the reason, it was a definite mistake to include such a horrid dub. It definitely makes you wonder just how carefully Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia actually listen.

PS Yea, what Bern said! Maybe Giles found an old acetate of his dad's... thought it was historic in some way and included it. Again, this scenario would scream that an actual historian be involved with these porojects. Giles and Sam are great at what they do, but knowing the "details" somehow eludes them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.