Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Yes but it is often shorten to just 1.37. Check the back of old movies on DVD/BLU-RAY. Most of time it will just say 1.37.

Didn't say the difference between 1.375 and 1.33 was unnoticeable. For example. I doubt anyone on here on a 32 inch monitor could tell the difference between 1.85:1 and 1:78:1 ratio. In fact most of the time a 1.85:1 image is reduced for our 1.78:1 televisions. And the bars at the top and bottom no one ever notices for 1.85:1 and even less for the bars at the side for 1.66:1.

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I picked up that factoid somewhere along the way.

Incidentally, the area of an Academy ratio frame is just over 6% larger than a 4:3 frame of the same height.

john morris likes this.
  3. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

I’m really excited!! Mike C is starting to drop more hints, we have seen possible configurations posted(even though our insiders say they’re wrong, it still means that the engines are starting up)!! This is a great time to be fans. Did anybody think 3 years ago we would be in the position of getting our 3rd deluxe Beatle’s set!! If this box has 2 discs of outtakes that would be a total of 8 discs of archive material over the last 2 1/2 years(not to mention Hollywood bowl and the BBC vol 2)!! I think the people who constantly complain about what we are not getting need to show gratitude for what we are getting!! Let’s not forget the Beatles were all but done with this archive game after anthology! Don’t you remember the interviews where they talked about barrel scraping and George Martin even said in one of the post anthology interviews that if they release anything else it would need to come with a government warning!! Let’s also show some gratitude towards Mike C and Maccawings for keeping these forums exciting and giving us great info when they can. Please people do not call them out and badger them because the news they may give doesn’t fit with your plans!! How can we be mad or question people who have time and time again come up with the goods!! To be angry in a forum like this is just silly anyway, I mean we’re just talking about records right?

4. john morris

O.k. someone slap me. First off I want to thank that annoying member (said with love dude.) who pointed out the real old Academy ratio to me. I should know better! Now I will sound a little less like an idiot. secondly I think I have successfully derailed this thread: Film ratios?

I appreciate all the members responses to my posts but let's get back to Abbey Road eh....

dewey02 and Mal like this.
  5. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Can we hope that we get a better come together video than *that thing*

6. john morris

Thank you. I hate spreading false info.
    Could be wrong here...Wasn't the reason for the television ratio only being 1.33.1 was the lack of the optical track? The .4 difference being the optical track? I heard that somewhere. But that makes no sense! And as you just stated the Old Academy Standard was 6 % larger on screen than a 4.3 ratio.

Oh on a big screen you might see the difference but not on 65 inch television. And certainly not on my Sony Bravia 32 inch baby girl. 6% is small. Every been tipped 6% sir?

Mal likes this.
  7. john morris

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to Video Club Forum. Today's topic is film ratios.

The Beave likes this.
  8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

9. john morris

Yea, they do this nonsense all the time. Unless your seeing an Imax movie in an Imax cinema you are being cheated. By the way what is the Imax ratio anyway?

10. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly - mind you, I'm pretty much a "glass half full" guy.

No point in fretting over what's not there - especially if it's circulating already via Anthology or boots - let's relish what new stuff we get.

longdist01, Karl Denver and Exotiki like this.
  11. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

I love this forum, despite its frustrations. I am glad to see sense re-establish after the bickering. Thank you to macca and Mike for their input, every clue makes the adventure more exciting. We are into countdown and the real fun begins. Much love and peace to you all; may the next few months bring pleasure, treasure and revelations.

Isaac Azimuth and Flippikat like this.
  12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Make that just over 3% (the 6% figure is for squares!).

13. Exotiki

Back to abbey road. I really enjoy it. It is a fun experience and if I might add. The vinyl is a completely different experience because of how sides one and two fall and that creative transition

14. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

100%.

I remember discovering the album in 1981. It was my Dad's. It had a few scratches but I didn't realise how bad one scratch was until I heard someone else's copy many years later.

My album went "step on the gas away."

It felt so weird to hear "step on the gas and wipe that tear away." It didn't feel right, it didn't fit!

15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Is it possible the book will have concept art for “Everest?” Maybe something similar to Paul’s Sgt. Pepper napkin doodles that we haven’t seen before their inclusion in that super deluxe box?

The seemingly spur of the moment change to “Abbey Road” always seemed intriguing, to me anyway

16. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

We have seen this drawing from Paul:
    [​IMG]

17. Exotiki

If you really want to experience the cleverness, buy the vinyl or press pause at the end of I want you she’s so heavy on your CD player for between 15 and 30 seconds

Marsh1 and longdist01 like this.
  18. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Very cool! This one’s new to me. It seems they really had a very specific idea in mind for the final shot - and nailed it! I always figured they went out for the stroll, shot through a roll and picked out their best contender. Especially given the variations shown in all the other shots from that day. Now I can see it was very deliberate.

Something similar to this from when the working title was still “Everest” would be interesting, to get an idea of what they had in mind…

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  19. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

All Paul

MrRom92 and MPLRecords like this.
  20. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

First time seeing Paul’s bird’s eye view of the crosswalk with EMI to the right unlike the familiar album cover and other drawings which face approximate north with EMI to the left.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    MrRom92 likes this.
  21. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

That may become relevant in the Let It Be thread next year (I hope not though as I hope they get it right - but you never know in these days of having to conform everything to wide screen regardless of source material)! :mad:

22. Exotiki

I know it is completely impractical for motion pictures. But how Disney does it for there early animated films, I think is quite elegant. You get the option of either black borders. Or painted borders that look like an extension of the background painting in the shot. It changes fairly frequently. Not prefect but more ascetically pleasing then black bars. Also the zoomed in and blur technique can also work

john morris likes this.
  23. Considering there have been 100 pages of posts today, can somebody summarize what new information has surfaced (other than the list of configurations and the denial that the Deluxe will have 6 CD’s and a Blu-ray)? TIA!

24. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The main thing is the release date of Sept 27th.

goer likes this.
  25. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

I am wishing my life away!
    September can't come soon enough and then with what follows that and of course next year's LIB and possible ATMP and POB 50th (hopefully) releases... and into all of that the Archive Series material (bring on the Egg!)

Wingsfan2012 and sws2000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.