Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

I stand with @XC70

He's the hero we needed.

Mrsharko, Gila, maandrade and 2 others like this.
  2. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I would say it's more of a smeary non-discrete sound-stage. This is the total opposite of a diffuse/discrete soundstage where you have elements cleanly isolated left, center and right like the old 1960s mixes.

Giles Martin believes that Beatles fans do NOT like the "diffuse" stereo of the original stereo mix of "Sgt Pepper's". That's why he mixed "Pepper 50" it like he did. Look up his quotes regarding the mixing if you doubt me. Where he got that mis-information about us hating diffuse mixes I have no clue. Certainly not from this board. Geoff Emerick's "Sessions" mixes were a sonic disaster. The "Pepper 50" mixes are closer in mixing style to the "Sessions" mixes than the vintage mixes.

I LOVE wide discrete stereo mixes of older material as long as it's balanced and hopefully both drums and lead vocals can be centered but everything else way off to the sides. I think that's most people's opinion.

I think the reason we naturally prefer those two elements in the center over others is because they are the most dynamic elements of any pop or rock song. Centering those allows you to make the most powerful mix. Less dynamic sounds can sit easily in one channel. When I do a mix of an old song with limited elements and can't fully center the drums (because would be mono) I STILL let the drums bleed a little to the center because it makes the whole mix more "crankable" and also fold-down-able but still has a wide stereo presence. Listening to something like "Oh Darling!" with the drums totally in the left channel would destroy the impact and be unlistenable on small portables, those little mono bluetooth speakers I use working in the yard and in cars and on headphones.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    DRM likes this.
  3. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Agreed! Actually I think Paul should have put "Come and Get It" (exactly as he did it during the AR sessions) on the McCartney LP. A catchy "all-Paul" recording from 1969? Would have fit great on the album.

crossroads69 and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Please Please Me was a #1 record, historical fact, and is considered to be a #1 by informed citizens. #1 for 2 weeks on 3 of the 4 major independent record charts who sampled the most number of record shops for their weekly calculation. #1 according to EMI/Parlophone on the back of the Please Please Me album, and several Beatle EPs. #1 for 3 weeks according to the BBC Pick of the Pops chart, which averaged together all 4 major independent record charts of the day. #1 by newspaper articles of the day all over the UK.

It is considered to be a #2 peak record by the Guinness chart books, the 'Official' UK Charts Co, and misinformed citizens who follow these 2 sources. They all reference the Record Retailer chart for the 60s, which sampled the fewest number of record shops in 1963 (30), was the least accurate, disagreed the most often with the other charts, was the least followed, you couldn't buy their music paper off the rack, newspapers did not carry their charts. Most Brits didn't even know they existed. There was no 'official' UK chart prior to Feb 1969. To their credit, Guinness (first chart book in 1977) did not claim the charts they were using for their books were 'official', they only said 'for the purposes of this book we are using the NME chart for the 50s, and the Record Retailer chart for the 60s.' The Official Charts Co did not declare Record Retailer as their 'official' chart of the 60s until after 2001. Rewriting history and misleading millions of Brits and music lovers in the process. Even EMI bought into the lie, and did not include Please Please Me on The Beatles '1' CD.

If you lived thru the 60s, you know that PPM was #1. If you didn't, you get false rewritten history out of erroneous chart books.

Long article and thread here that will explain everything: Updated "CHART HISTORY"

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

George Martin acknowledged this to the young Beatles. Congratulating them on their first number 1.
    The Beatles' Marathon 'Please Please Me' Session, Hour by Hour

theMess likes this.
  6. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It's going to be the 22 plus (most likely) "Free as a Bird" b/w "Real Love". Mike said both songs are included and it makes sense they're the 23rd single.

zobalob and theMess like this.
  7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

As you should.

8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Wouldn't it make sense for "The Long One" to be the final track? Is it weird that two tracks "Something - Orchestral" and "Golden Slumbers" outtake come AFTER the preliminary medley edit?

That just seems like a strange flow.

This makes me think that this list is very much TBD, with some possible additions and definitely some rearranging of the running order very much in store...

And have they really forgotten about poor "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)"? I feel like Paul and John finishing that track together in hysterics is as much a part of the AR story as is their making "Ballad" together as well. Two moments when these guys really connected despite all the other drama and stress happening.

9. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

thats one way of putting it haha

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

The medley was apparently called The Long One/Huge Medley by staffers and the Beatles. According to Lewisohn, it was 15:30 in length. At this stage the songs were all slightly different. No vocals on The End; Her Majesty between Polythene Pam and Mean Mr. Mustard. It will be very enjoyable hearing this medley as originally mixed in perfect fidelity. Also, The End was originally called Ending. Perhaps changed when the vocals were done. Ron

11. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Apparently CD 2, track 2 - before the Something demo.

stevenson66g likes this.
  12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

We haven't heard it. If it's last, there's probably a good reason why it's last. It could be a goof version, someone saying bye bye in it, or whatever. I hope there's a bonus track.

Lewisboogie and longdist01 like this.
  13. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

C'mon. You haven't listened once to the remixes? You must have iron self-control.
    Although - hey - if you've listened to the 5.1 mix - you actually have listened to a remix! ;)

stevenson66g and Lewisboogie like this.
  14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I don't agree. His reasoning for mixing Pepper how he did was to try and capture the spirit of the mono mix, which was the one sanctioned by The Beatles. His remixes are actually not very modern, since they are usually much wider than today's stereo.

I agree completely, but that "as long as..." is the key, because many Beatles 60s stereo mixes are not balanced. Just listen to Lovely Rita, for example. With Giles' remixes so far (despite the fact that I don't like some of them), I get both the width of 60s stereo and the balance of modern mixes.

15. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

BeatleJWOL, theMess, videoman and 2 others like this.
  16. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

What stupid choice was made that damaged M&M?

17. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

I just wasted a few hours listening to music and got overtaken by ten pages of the forum doing its thing. Oddly the music helped my overall mood more than the internecine wrangling over nothing I might have missed. If anyone is interested just spinning the red vinyl RSD version of Ocean Colour Scene's first album

18. For all we know, that ‘leak’ could be intentional on Apple/UMs part.

19. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

View it from the other side: the paid professions who put their efforts into a solid marketing plan have now been ruined by someone who thinks that their work has less value than it's worth. Would you like it if someone came and spoiled your product before you were fully ready to bring it to market? Would you like it if you spent hours thinking of ways to build interest in your product at the right time only to have it go to waste because someone wants to build up their reputation?

The insiders know that their relationship with those individuals on the production side is precious. If it gets ruined, they won't be able to help spread the excitement that they have over these products. The "games" have been enough to let us know that something is coming without spoiling what it is until the company is ready to — thus keeping up the balance between getting excited as a fan and not wasting money on marketing on the company's side.

Make no mistake about it: the leak is about to cost someone their job. And possibly more than one person. This isn't a game — it's real life: that person who leaked it is ruined because no one is ever going to hire them in that industry again, and likely every associated industry either. References will be like "X is the one who ruined our marketing plan, so if you don't care about wasting money hire them — or don't, because we don't even trust them near the company fridge."

And, on a side note, personally I love the fact that what Maccawings and Mike did was tease us with the colours — because the discussion is much more fun when we aren't fully certain. We can guess, we can make jokes about those guesses, we can yak about it (in more ways than one), and still have a good time loving The Beatles and speculating about what our ideal release is first. How many people talked about things other than a singles box? If we were limited to demanding info right-bloody-now and then complaining about how long we have to wait for releases, it wouldn't be anywhere as fun a place to be.

You want to promote that attitude, go hang out with today's young people. They can't even stand having to wait in line for their burgers any more. (Trust me, I work with young people on a daily basis and it annoys me that they expect adults to drop everything right-bloody-now and get what they want done first because they have priority.)

If I were at Apple right now, yes I'd be pissed — but I'd also be doing my damnedest to cut off everyone else from the communication, change that track listing, and pronounce that all the Internet speculation is wrong just to give the finger to those who leaked it. This was Apple's decision to announce, not anyone else's.

It's not like McCartney Archives where we got photos of them coming off the actual presses to know it's a real physical thing. This is a listing that is, until made official, tentative.

20. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

some jerk leaked the tracklist

stevenson66g likes this.
  21. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Her Majesty

(Paul ain't dead.)

22. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

Paul: My Wallet

John & George: Beatles Product This Fall

[​IMG]

23. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Someone posted on Facebook what's on the CDs for the upcoming Abbey Road set as it is slated for release at present.
    M&M know they need permission first — this individual posted it in an area that made sure everyone would see it, and a ticked off Apple can shut the door harder.

FYI, it was the realization of how much was being bootlegged that led to a clampdown in the 90s. Until Anthology began, it wasn't uncommon for the odd studio tape to make its way to bootleggers; now, it's only broadcasts and live shows that get bootlegged because outtakes — and information about those outtakes — is scant in order to keep them safe in the vault for later release.

stevenson66g and ralph7109 like this.
  24. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

I have wept and said many prayers for Giles tonight. I hope everyone is coping with the atrocity of this leaked tracklist well. Truly a heinous act.

25. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

can i post a colorized i want to hold your hand single sleeve? i am making it right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.