Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathaniel Crabtree

Nathaniel Crabtree Active Member

Random question is this take 32 of I Want You (She’s So Heavy) what was used on the album because if it is then could this be the full song without the hard ending.

2. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

My understanding is the final version is an edit of Takes 9, 20 and 32. Take 32 is the second half of the song, everything after the final "she's so...", so presumably yes, a full version of this take would include the breakdown that occurred after the cut.

pablo fanques, anthontherun and Gila like this.
  3. tages

tages Senior Member

That would be interesting but unfortunately you can't get too adventurous when so many people are demanding the drums, bass and vocals all be centered on every song. :shrug:

MoonPool, jmxw, BeatleJWOL and 10 others like this.
  4. Ants

Ants Forum Resident

I think that take is without overdubs, so it could have an unused rhythm guitar part, as well as an unused solo (just listen to the isolated drums part, from RockBand).
    I think only the original organ and drums parts are on the final record, the rest was re-done.
    I don't know about the bass part.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

For this remix, I would like less bass and more treble, much more sound separation and panning, and an Abbey Road that breathes.

The original Abbey Road already does what it does quite well. A mature and solid Beatles finale. Great songs and an extraordinary medley. The Beatles and George Martin working very well together.

The Abbey Road 2019 Remix could be a psychedelic throwback (in terms of sound production) that also harkens back to some of the earlier Beatles albums. Wide soundscape, more sparse and less clogged, clearer, more Fab. With lively dynamics and less bass suffocation.

And no obligatory "centering" via a phantom center speaker.

If you can't beat the original Abbey Road, you might as well create something completely different.

shmuckler, Drifter, jmxw and 7 others like this.
  6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Re treble. Absolutely. If one Beatles album could do with being a little more lively in the top end it us AR.

7. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Regarding the non-inclusion of Come and get it, here's an interesting tidbit about another McCartney/Badfinger collab:

Rock Of All Ages, the b-side to the Come And Get It single, was recorded on this day (Sep 18th). McCartney co-produced the song with Mal Evans, and helped write it, although the latter gesture went uncredited.
    During the session McCartney played piano and sang a guide vocal alongside Badfinger's Tom Evans, which was later replaced by a second vocal part by Evans.

Paul McCartney performs on Badfinger’s Rock Of All Ages

8. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

I wonder how much they can get out of it. The drum fills in the two remixes of Come Together are a tad opened up compared to the original mix, but not much.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  9. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

I second this.

DRM and Crunchie like this.
  10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Come Together would be a particular challenge. Can the sounds be separated more to allow for more clarity? Which may not boost the treble but could add some breathing space. The overloaded bottom end could be lightened, at least?

11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Not much i think. I don’t want the treble hyped either. Just the entire thing opened up a bit more.

MoonPool and DRM like this.
  12. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

There was a BBC radio piece ages ago that had snippets of individual stems that was really interesting, so AFAIK all of the multitrack stems for Come Together are available. That hasn't stopped all 3 official mixes being very similar in terms of instrument placement though, strangely. It's a pretty dense track though so I'm not sure how much "breathing space" you can give it.

13. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

I like the 1+ version of Come Together. I does sound a bit overloaded in the lower end (still fine, imo) and I think this is due to bass guitar notes. But hi-hats sound clearer and more pleasant than the 09 stereo. Drum fills fill more powerful as well. Let's see what Giles has done with the upcoming mix.

P.S. IMO, Ringo's kick drum historically was buried somewhere in the mix (at least in the 87 stereo versions), and I'm always happy to hear that it is more highlighted in the recent reissues.

14. The poster you responded to is in Italy. How about you post something in Italian, and let him critique it?

jlf, bherbert, pablo fanques and 9 others like this.
  15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Anyone else notice that Amazon was blowing out the 2012 Abbey Road for Prime Day? Smart move, they know something’s happening…

Wingsfan2012 and SunSon like this.
  16. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

On Amazon Australia it was the 09 CD that they were trying to flog. A similar thought crossed my mind, until I saw they also had the Revolver up as well. Unless.... (wishful thinking)

marklamb, SunSon and MrRom92 like this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

A snippet of Paul's vocals.

18. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

So just a thought: I wonder if that first gen non tube EMI board would sound good with a treble emphasis? Is expect the high end to be a little harsh?

19. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Yeah assuming it could all be made to fit properly etc. But Apple has no interest in doing cool stuff like that for added bonus tracks. If the idea occurs to us-It must've occurred to them right ? True Cold Turkey isin't A Beatles Abbey Road song..

But neither is Old Brown Shoe or Ballad of J & Yoko or Goodbye etc etc.

Obviously Abbey Road album...isin't chock full of additional songs...but most of the cool stuff you could use they don't. Not just on Abbey Road 50th, but on Sgt Pepper's 50th & White lp 50th also.

In fairness they did use some cool tracks on White album 50th, thank God....so the 'rules' are flexible from one 50th anniversary box to another.. heck they're using non Abbey Road stuff on this one ! Because they needed some bonus content for it, so they chose B of J & Yoko & Goodbye & Old Brown Shoe...for obvious reasons...recorded near the time of the AR sessions, represents all 3 writers with one bonus song...so why not Cold Turkey Love style & Come & Get it & other stuff ?...its almost like they make them expensive & underwhelming on purpose.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  20. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's not cool...

Onder and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Such a predictable scene. Especially John and Ringo nearly had that look later in the 70s.

JFSebastion and Mal like this.
  22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes. Intentionally dense. A thick powerful gumbo that rumbles.

Unless some sounds can be highlighted and others slightly dropped down. For a different sound. And to give a few people something to complain about." Where's the _______? I can hardly hear it!"

23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That is just impossible. In the early albums most of the songs feature just drums, bass and two guitars, ocassionally harmonica or piano. Abbey Road is a multi-layered recording a-la-Pepper, with plenty of sounds and effects. It's a very busy recording.

24. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

The idea is so cool it's cold, like cold turkey! Remixing "Cold Turkey" is something for Yoko (or Sean) to do with the help of Rob Stevens (or Paul Hicks).

Bern and Beatle Ed like this.
  25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

No boosting of treble. Just slightly clearing the underbrush so that the higher sounds are more discernible. Here Comes The Sun achieves this clarity from the very beginning and the Moog parts are still powerful and effective. Although some do not like the vocals on one side.

Contact Lost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.