Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

No sign of the anniversary items on Amazon Australia yet (that's typical though). JB HiFi and Sanity have the Super Deluxe 3CD/1BD set for $AUD175.

2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yup. Last time I had an issue and they looked up my history and responded with something like "whoa! you've been a customer since 1999!?" Yup. What can you do for me..?

3. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I'm sure they were up for consideration and someone said no. Maybe a bit too unrefined..who knows. Let it Be will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

applejam101 likes this.
  4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes. You are wrong. ;)

5. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Dolby Atmos for Headphones is an updated version of the old Dolby Headphone standard. It attempts to recreate positional audio; it works best when it is fed a discrete multichannel feed such as a 5.1 film soundtrack or video game. For 2 channel material, it is probably applying some form of Dolby Surround (what used to be Dolby Pro Logic) to ‘extract’ front and surround channel information.

Actual Atmos for home use relies on either Dolby TrueHD (lossless) or Dolby Digital Plus (lossy) as a carrier. ITunes purchases use a lossy AAC 2 channel codec, which is not Atmos nor intended for surround decoding. So your Atmos for Heaphones processing will be attempting to upmix the 2 channel information into a surround with height mix - something not intended by the producer/mixing engineer/mastering engineer. If it sounds pleasing to you, carry on using it though.

By comparison, if you have any music DVDs with a 5.1 soundtrack, trying listening to that with Dolby Atmos for Headphones - you’ll probably find the surround effect much more pronounced.

For the fullest, most pronounced Atmos effect, download one of the trailers at Downloadable Dolby Atmos Trailers | Dolby Laboratories and play back back using an application that supports multichannel audio.

IronWaffle likes this.
  6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That price will most likely come down before the release.

7. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Wow. I just could not refrain myself from listening to Something RM2019 several times and comparing it a bit to the other mixes. Not too analytical, though. Yet.
    I must say this new mix is by far my favourite. It does have the delicacy, the overwhelming power that I have always been longing for in this song. I enjoy RM2000 pretty much, RMLove does not count as it's a mash-up, but this one just blows me away and makes my whole existence overflow with love.

Again and again I am mesmerized by the sonic progress. First I had to imagine a lot due to the cheap equipment I had when I was a teen. Slowly my equipment got better and I finally heard a lot of what I imagined for real. And now the remixes bring a clarity and power I always knew to be in the recordings ... highly interesting.

All the other snippets we could already hear sound awesome, too. I have even higher hopes now that IWY(SSH) will also be the overpowering wall of groove and noise I have always heard in my mind.

But ... I will put this into a spoiler as you will never be able to un-hear this if you haven't already. I would be amazed if this had not been noticed before ...
    At ca. 2:33 there's a tiny double tracking error with "... the things she shows meme", the "me" is doubled. I checked all three mixes, it's been there all the time, just I had not noticed before.
    I was very much afraid this may have been a digital editing error introduced now that went unnoticed, but I am kind of relieved that it has been there all the time, hidden in plain sound ...

Have you heard this before?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  8. Lownote30

I heard it. Always have.

hEARt PhoniX likes this.
  9. fspadafora

fspadafora Forum Resident

Does that work with Amazon.ca when you have been a loyal Amazon US customer for 20+ years, but only place orders with Amazon Canada when they have huge pricing errors? Asking for a friend ;)

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  10. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Apparently it is 76.98 euros on French Amazon. 3cds + Blu-Ray. Free delivery to UK mainland on Prime.

11. Lownote30

Yep, but if I order it from another country, I'll never get it even close to release day. Even if the Amazon US price doesn't come down, I'm satisfied with getting free shipping, and receiving it close to, if not on release day.

voles likes this.
  12. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I Want You (She’s So Heavy) remix is the one I am really looking forward to! It’s one of my favorite tracks and I always felt it had most opportunity on the album for a remix, to bring out more power from those hypnotic guitar arpeggios!

Listening to the Come Together snippet and Something remix on AR50, I am happy that they chose to take a new approach and give us something different (than rehash same thing again). The 2015 1+ remixes can now be the single remixes and the upcoming versions will be the album remixes. Win win! :)

13. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

Which books are these please? There are plenty of books written by Lewisohn and I wouldn't want to get the wrong ones.

14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Uh... how much does it cost to add ~40 minutes of audio to a bluray? Surely, it would be marginal.

Jimijam, boggs and MPLRecords like this.
  15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Try living in Denmark ;-)

matheussian and Lownote30 like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Beatles new product not usually the case I find.

17. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

All These Years

18. alexpop

Cheaper than Norway. :)

Kim Olesen and Lownote30 like this.
  19. Lownote30

Well, if it comes down, it comes down. If not, I don't care. The Amazon US price is fine by me considering what I'm getting.

kevintee and alexpop like this.
  20. alexpop

Pricing thread time ?

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yep, and with confirmation that BullMoose doesn’t charge until the item ships (like Amazon), it was a no-brainer.

boggs likes this.
  22. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Does anybody else ordering through Amazon Prime UK have an estimated delivery date of 1 October?

I'm sure this is just a temporary 'glitch' and that it'll be delivered on the day of release, but I thought I'd check to see if others here have been quoted the same delivery date.

autumn daze likes this.
  23. alexpop

Beatles new product ? Maximum $$$$

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This may have already been answered (sorry if I missed it), but are any of the outtakes/demos recycled from Anthology 3?

25. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That's a good approach :righton:

crossroads69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.