Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Mark Lewisohn has released the first book (Tune In) in a series of three, and the third volume will cover this era of the band.

2. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

More special? Sorry I don’t get it. You like the Beatles? Here’s some ‘new’ Beatles to enjoy. Postponing for a later date doesn’t make it any better or worse. Life is too short.

audiotom, Lluis and The Beave like this.
  3. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Sure it makes it better. (for me) All new experience once it shows up. I'm waiting as well.

Bern

4. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've got the same. I usually get a similar message on pre orders and it always seems to work itself out eventually and is delivered on release day, so I'm not concerned yet.

Beatlebug likes this.
  5. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Hmm. Really not sure if I prefer this or the 1+ mix. They've definitely been more...creative with this one though. The 1+ mix feels like a tidy-up of the original mix, whereas this is definitely an intentionally different approach. Louder vocals, particularly the double-tracked parts, the stereo drum effects, the louder cymbals, the moving keyboard (?) elements. They've also used a tad more noise reduction (which is fine with current technology) and it overall sounds more "processed".

6. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Well I made it through the night with no Amazon.ca cancellation lol. Only about 50 more nights to go. There's very, very little chance though considering it's not even listed on their site anymore.

marklamb likes this.
  7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Ofcourse you may :)

In the back of my mind duplication just gets in the way of other unreleased stuff. BUT Something demo and CAGI are different enough to warrant inclusion.

johnny moondog 909 and supermd like this.
  8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Maybe it cost $20 to make each set, but they need to profit from selling it. If I sold it the day after I bought it, I'd get a lot more than $20 for it at my local used shop.

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I usually want to wait and hear it all at once
    A similar concept is NOT knowing the setlist or nuggets from an upcoming concert
    No youtube, no spoilers, no reviews

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Yes I have done the same with archive editions or the other Beatles anniversary editions and the 1 sets.
    I never claimed that I was sane, just that I have a pretty great Beatles collection :)

A well respected man likes this.
  11. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Same here - hanging on a wing and a prayer.

12. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

That's so far the only Japanese "exclusive" (only for pre orders and limited quantities), no sign of the diorama this time.
    [​IMG]

andrewskyDE, aina, dsdu and 2 others like this.
  13. 20 bucks of parts and pieces, pressings and printing plus all the work that goes into it like mastering, editing, art & photo licensing, music publishing, copywriting, proofreading, marketing, artist royalties, label profit, shipping, retailer's markup ........

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I love how you're called in when people think these box sets are priced too high. :) You have taught me a thing or two about this stuff I never would have thought of otherwise. Keep up the good work!

15. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Yep. That's why I don't think the price is too high at Amazon. Plus, I'm not paying shipping on it as a Prime member, and it's going to be a pretty heavy box. It's totally worth it for me. Thanks for backing me up on that!

Mazzy likes this.
  16. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

$86 at popmarket today

17. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Yup!
    Me...
    It's not the only thing I have pre-ordered at the moment with a later date than the release date for delivery either and yet other things are release date delivery.
    An Amazon prime conundrum for sure...

Beatlebug likes this.
  18. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Amazon for me. I got the White Album box last year with a proper 'ding' on the corner thanks to Amazon.
    I complained and was offered 25% off the price I paid should I keep it.
    I kept it... :righton:

19. Thank you! I do it because these sort of comments keep coming up on each thread like this and of box sets. Of course there are some that may be way out of whack price-wise, but most, in reality are not overpriced cash grabs. Especially now since physical music sales are pretty low..

That $800 Woodstock box. I don't have it but I've seen several videos. The design and manufacturing alone is crazy. All the parts and handmade pieces. Not to mention all the time they had to put in just to negotiate all the licensing with all those artists and managers and labels....

I've said this countless times; I've learned all this by working in a related field for 33 years now. It's never just the cost of a piece of plastic or cardboard. I negotiate photo licensing and I know that licensing fees can vary greatly depending on many factors. Plus there are labor costs involved as well, from manufacturing to lawyers.

Now back to the 6,456th Beatles thread on the Hoffman Music Forums :tiphat:

20. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

What is the exclusive and where is it available?

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

A poster.
    Japan only.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  22. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

To match the sky on the Abbey Road cover, I think...

23. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

Yeah, it could be so. But I also find it somehow fits the music of Abbey Road...

Isaac Azimuth likes this.
  24. Has the Abbey Road shipping thread started yet? Look what arrived !!!!!

[​IMG]

41 years ago. :tiphat:

omikron, andrewskyDE, aina and 13 others like this.
  25. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Agree; it's not like the Bluray doesn't have the capacity. The WA Bluray also didn't have the Eschers.

MPLRecords likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.