Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well thank you. But i've gotta say, in general terms, as far as Beatles secrets revealed...that's about 1.7 on the Beatles Richter Scale

Who Cares likes this.
  2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Then it seems that George Harrison is unlikely to buy it. o_O

4. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

You've told us this twice. You are bummed but happy but bummed but happy but... Try this approach. RELAX. Remember prior to 2017 when you didn't have these nice remixed box sets with all these tracks? Now you have them. Pretty cool huh? In addition, it's very likely that in the future many more of these outtakes you want will be in your possession. You already said so yourself - in perhaps an updated Anthology box set. Enjoy the ride.

aina, Haggischomper, Jack and 3 others like this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Well, yes but a standalone Blu-ray would sell for arounfd $20 and that includes everything you mentioned, the "parts and pieces" cost a dollar or two, everything else is covered in the regular selling price.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I‘m sure his family still retain his values.

jmxw likes this.
  7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Got my copy last night and pressed play. Come Together began it's march across my eardrums until a neighborhood dog started barking and woke me up. :nyah:

8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I too hate the blue ray being so skimpy, particularly not including the original mix. I'm still getting it, but I don't understand the ommision.

Royce and MPLRecords like this.
  9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

The kind of price we wouldn't even dare dreaming about in old Europe, where we pay at least twice as much.

FJFP and Zongadude like this.
  10. BGS

BGS Forum Resident

I think the Yellow Submarine album should only include the songs featured in the movie (that were not found on other albums):
    Yellow Submarine (you have to include this one even though it was on an earlier album)
    All Together Now
    Only a Northern Song
    All You Need Is Love
    Baby You’re Rich Man
    Hey Bulldog
    It's All Too Much

Then Magical Mystery Tour should only include the songs featured in that movie. The remaining songs from the MMT album should be bonus tracks on the other albums or on Past Masters.

11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

So I just listened to the new Something mix on youtube.

I guess I should say that when I first heard the remixed Back In The USSR on youtube, I freaked out. Then I heard the WA blu ray, and all was forgiven.

This is a highly interpretive remix. I can't even say whether I like it or not, because it's almost a new song. The gentle strings and fat tom toms have been reversed. The strings are loud, the moog even louder. The drums as a result fall into the background. Where things were highly integrated before, the remix feels more like a slide show, highlighting more than synthesizing each new element.

...but then again, it's a VERY compressed youtube file...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

So it seems we have reached a split-the-difference compromise on The Great "Come Together" Drums Remix Controversy Of 2019: the toms and hi-hat will be mixed right; the snare and crash will be mixed center. IS EVERYBODY HAPPY NOW????

13. peteham

peteham Senior Member

There is no Moog on Something. Do you mean the organ?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I use an Amazon credit card which rewards me with "points". I try to accumulate the points and use them for larger ticket items. I applied points to my pre-order. Fortunately I had enough to cover the entire cost. I thank all of those tanks of gas, hard cover books and haircuts for gifting me an Abbey Road Deluxe.

Lemon Curry and Bern like this.
  15. matheussian

matheussian Forum Resident

Try in Brazil!

bobcat, Kim Olesen and maandrade like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

So, all in all are folk more impressed with what their getting compared to Sgt Pepper/White Album 50th anniversaries?

Henrik Jutbring likes this.
  17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

There's Moog as well as organ. Check out the exposed bass note at the end of the new mix 2' 53'':

Isaac Azimuth likes this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I pay $45 for a tank of gas here in CA.

19. Slubberdegullion

Slubberdegullion Forum Resident

You are correct:

Atlantis (Donovan song) - Wikipedia

I still have it, never had Mellow Yellow, but Atlantis must have been for my 11th birthday then. Maybe I should amend what I wrote - every day was significant in the 1960s, but what you think you remember may not be correct. Summers were all bright and sunny, though.

Lovecraft likes this.
  20. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Yes, I got the same. I wondered if it was because I didn’t order till gone 5pm and the first day deliveries were all sold by then, so pleasing to hear others with the same date.

Beatlebug likes this.
  21. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Somehow I doubt it. From the interviews with Giles, there doesn’t seem to a Lewisohn type involved with the project, advising on tracks. Giles and Sam seem to be reviewing the tapes and selecting anew.

I remember Giles saying when he was asked about the Esher Demos, he didn’t realise what they were (but he heard them anyway). That can have its own benefits as it’s a fresh take on the material, but it means that the big check list Beatle-nerd tracks will fall through the cracks if they’re not deemed commercial enough.

22. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Beatles Reissue Producer Giles Martin: “Paul And Ringo Have To Be Happy”

Explaining the production process, Martin says of his colleagues: “Mike Heatley and Kevin Howlett go and listen to everything and they make notes. But then I go and listen to everything and make notes. Their list is much bigger than mine because I’m much meaner than they are.

“But also there has to be a story to be told. The whole thing with a mix project like this is that (a) I want the tracks to sound good and make you feel a certain way but also (b) I want it to be a window into the world that I’m so privileged to be in, where I can get a tape from the vaults and listen to it and enjoy it.

“I want people to feel what it’s like to be in the creative process, and there’s a beauty in the flawed quality of the performance that ends in the masterpiece that is ‘The White Album.’”

23. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

No

Ringo Hendrix and Lewisboogie like this.
  24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Funny.... Abbey Road's arguably my favorite album of all time, and I'm still gaga over the White Album box.... And yet this one's not really getting me out of my seat. Go figure. "Goodbye" is a nice inclusion, but I have it in nice quality; and a "Ballad of John & Yoko" alt take doth intrigue, but....I think the 2CD is looking sufficient for me, surprised to say.

Assuming they do a Let It Be box, hope it includes one of the Twickenham stabs at "Bathroom Window," since this doesn't. Whole different feel ~ indeed, that of the Let It Be Beatles (or maybe The Band with Levon singing) ~ from the polished (and brilliant) Abbey Road arrangement.

25. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I do the same. That Amazon card is excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.