Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

I did listened the whole thing and, as I posted elsewhere, I made a selection from it. Here it is, in case you missed it:
    Best of Get Back Sessions - YouTube

Ram4 likes this.
  2. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Why not this track, because LM and IL is on the WA box set.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Only outtakes of Lady Madonna and The Inner Light, as well as outtakes of Hey Jude and Revolution, were included. So they may only include outtakes of The Ballad Of John And Yoko and Old Brown Shoe, rather than the actual versions on the 45 single.

4. Arnold Grove

But, then again, on the Pepper box they included the actual 45-single versions of Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane, along with outtakes.
    So who knows if there is any rhyme or reason to what Apple does ...

5. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Due to the involvement of only McCartney and Lennon, I'm wondering if there would be much in the way of alternate items for that track.

It seems like the recording process, 2 tracks at-a-time, "layered" overdubs, might mean that there's no real existing takes other than the multi-tracks used for the master take. (They could do a reverse Frankenstein, and strip stuff off, I suppose.)

But -- who knows.

(I just realized that I probably should have checked Lewishon before I shot my mouth off. Oh well. Be gentle...)

6. Arnold Grove

No, Lewisohn describes listening to all of the takes. So they are in the EMI vault. As Paul was the drummer, he kept screwing up the beat right at the end of the middle eight when everything goes silent. Of course, this would mean that the early takes are just Paul on drums and John on guitar. Not sure if there were guide vocals, so thet might just be basic instrumental alternates that break down. I don't have the book handy.

Who Cares and jmxw like this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

And then there's the issue of remixing. The Pepper box included the 2015 remix of Strawberry Fields Forever (previously unreleased on CD) plus a new remix of Penny Lane (due to finding better sources to work with over the 2015 mix). Will Abbey Road feature a new mix of The Ballad Of John & Yoko that "fixes" the piano bit that seems to have offended anoraks? And what about a new remix of Old Brown Shoe?

8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Not anoraks, the sandal wearers ;)

Haggischomper likes this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

They could do just that, do a mix as it would have sounded at x stage. There is the Anthology DVD version which is guitar and vocals, plus drums (bleeding through the guitar track?)

10. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Yeah. Not surprised.
    Thank you.

Research can be quite an asset. I should try it some time.

Solace likes this.
  11. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Most likely bonus track that we'll get: a take (or the master take) with John on rhythm guitar and vocal (guide or final) and Paul on drums. No overdubs. The Nerk Twins "live in the studio" version.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  12. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

We’ll probably get this:

A remix which is quite compressed. It’ll most likely be too loud for SHTV member’s tastes. It will be an attempt to modernize the album but the mix won’t be modern. Which will confuse me like the WA remix confuses me. A modern stereo mix has drums and bass centered. No exceptions. Yet the WA remix has panned bass and drums on 8 songs. Possibly more. So we can expect more 60’s mixes in 2019. Weird.

Panama Jack and Gila like this.
  13. tages

tages Senior Member

You need to get some speakers man!

Beatle Ed, john morris and bherbert like this.
  14. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

I wish I could put that on a tee-shirt. Thanks for the info. Hey Majesty is one of the many things that make Abbey Road so unique.

Who Cares likes this.
  15. john morris

That's not what I meant but the joke was good.
    Why would the critics pan Abbey Road? I thought it was just audiophiles who s****d all over remixes.

16. john morris

No argument there.

Hearing a different edit or version of the Abbey Road Medley would be good but we have all been overloaded with outtakes from Abbey Road. Mostly off the web and dozens of vinyl bootlegs over the years. Deep in my record collection I have got hours of Abbey Road stuff taken off the Nagra. Mono, Low-fi and mostly boring.

Different versions and early mixes I am interested in. Hours of Paul talking with the occasional bumb note I am not.( i.e. That bonus disk that came with Let It Be Naked. Completely useless.) And John Lennon singing old 50's Rock classics does not float my boat.

I realize that they are fans on here who would like anything The Beatles would do but I don't. Even if it was a horrible song with Ringo singing, LAAA LA LA LA LAAA LA LA LA LAAA. Oh wait....That is an actual Beatle song. Unfortunately. I love The Beatles because they make such good music. They can even make bad songs good. For example: Mr. Moonlight. A horrible song. I hate it. And that's why it's one of my favorite Beatle songs. They are singing their Liverpool hearts out singing this song. You can even hear the mike amp overloading during the opening vocal part. LOVE IT! And the almost audiophile quality of Beatles For Sale allows me to hear every painful note. And that corny organ solo - A Beatle Classic. Just hanging there on the right channel. The Beatles can take almost anything and make it good. But there is a limit. And those boring White Album demos was my breaking point. A few Abbey Road demos that are good include but I don't really want to hear 3 million takes of Something....Unless they are like really good!

What a rip off! Where was this legendary 45 minute version of Helter Skelter? Does it even exist? If it's so famous why didn't we get it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2019
  17. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

The Nagra reels are from the Let It Be film sessions.

The Helter Skelter version is 27 minutes, and does exist.

The rest of your post did make me smile.

18. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I burst out laughing at this part

The Beave and Beatlebug like this.
  19. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

The 2015 remix of Something on 1+ sounds phenomenal. How will they top it?

20. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Maybe by bringing John’s piano to the fore. ;-)

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  21. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

By replicating the superior 2006 ("Love") remix!

autumn daze and FKA002 like this.
  22. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

If they feel it can't be improved I would think they'd simply use it and that's one less track to have to work on.

23. revolution_vanderbilt

That LOVE mix for Come Together is great too.

Who Cares and Shaddam IV like this.
  24. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Yep. I'm not as bothered about the bass just because it's usually melodic enough to offset other instruments and let's face it there's only so many tracks they have to work with. Some of the panning choices are really egregious though, e.g. WMGGW and Revolution 1. Most of the tracks have drums off-centre but not hard-panned, so they're not annoying to listen to. I really hope they take advantage of the plentiful tracks on Abbey Road, and the fact that they have done with previous remixes of songs from that album gives me hope. :)

The 2015 mix is excellent. It has a couple of strange artefacts though that surely are not on the multitracks since they don't exist in the original mix nor in the Love mix. Maybe they can fix those.

Ah yes, the one with the bass turned up to 11. :D

Love the EQ on that album.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  25. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Hi Mike- Would this be a Beatles box set or solo Beatles box set? Inquiring minds want to know. Seriously the suspense is killing me! Clues about Abbey Road, this new secret box set, Wings Back to egg/London town!! Everything that’s coming out!!! I know you have to be tight lipped until it’s time and I have no dignity as you can tell by my begging!! But it’s the bloody Beatles!! If you can’t give us any clues can you give us a clue about when to expect the clues(asking for a friend )! Thanks Mike for all your contributions we appreciate it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.