Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I agree with this. On original mix first one is off, others aren't. Maybe they were all off time so Giles opted to leave a performance blunder rather than fix it like on the original.

Swells on I Need You don't sound perfect either all the way through. It's not like they always played with volume pedal to create tight performances with it.

2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

“Maccawings, we love you but don’t ever take sides against the family again. Ever. ” :D

P.S. - Curious to know the story and what was nixed. My guess is Come And Get It made it back from the abyss.

pablo fanques, nasa09 and maccawings like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The wielder of a silver hammer??

;)

maccawings and Exotiki like this.
  4. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, that’s what I think as well. Come Together was recorded very efficiently with just 6 basic takes. All the major arrangements seemed to have been already worked out before Take 1.

So they seem to have rehearsed the arrangements a few times before and either that stuff was not recorded or lost or recorded over.

I would’ve liked to hear the track as was demoed to the group by John, before Paul pointed it was bit similar to Chuck Berry’s song and suggested a swampy feel. But just like a possible John version of Goodnight, that may not exist.

5. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

That's the song I was thinking of. I need you.yea they're not perfect at all

6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes.
    I would love it if they did it this way.
    Yes.

Deacon Blues likes this.
  7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Seems some very noticeable changes have been made to the Come Together remix. The lowering of John's "happy" sound in the mix seems an odd decision. I'm in the just improve the SQ camp but not a huge deal as the original mix is perfect as is.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  8. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Stop making sense!
    There’s clearly no place for that in this thread.

9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I'm not sure whether to get this or not. The original has no dodgy panning and no glaring SQ issues. Has a concensus been reached?

10. Thanks timnor,

I have now ordered the super deluxe edition from Amazon for about $89. This is not the vinyl, but 3-CD/1 Blu-ray edition. Thanks for replying.

All best.
    LAWRENCE SCHULMAN

timnor likes this.
  11. Frank

Frank Senior Member

The consensus is it's a great remix and Giles ruined my life with an inconsequential decision, just like with the other 3 remixed Beatles albums he's done.

12. keoni

keoni Senior Member

Yeah, he played the remixes of Come Together, Because, and Octopus’s Garden. I’ve been listening on my phone, so I can’t really comment on those. He also played outtakes of Old Brown Shoe, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, I Want You (She’s So Heavy), and Here Comes the Sun. Got to hear the rough mix of the medley too. Very nice to finally have that in pristine quality.

13. sunking101

:laugh:
    What's especially good about the new remix...and what's the life-ruining dealbreaker?

14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Me too

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well by all means, if you are free to speak about it. I cannot yet. And it sounds like you might know the missing song titles that I do not know

IronWaffle likes this.
  16. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Cool! Thanks

stevechang64 likes this.
  17. Frank

Frank Senior Member

For me, the three remixes that have come out have been a complete pleasure.

Not really in a position to speak for the forum at large, but I will anyway.

People seem to enjoy the enhanced clarity of the remixes across the board. Bass and drums are stronger because we don't have to make every decision with an eye to whether needles will be jumping out of grooves any more.

Some are upset that the drums are "demixed" and spread across the stereo spectrum in places, and some people are really riled that the remix adjusts the timing of instrumental volume swells in Come Together by a few milliseconds.

Then there's the group that wanted nothing changed in a remix. :p

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2 Lp for me.

19. sunking101

Thanks. I've got Pepper and WA remixes on vinyl and although I don't necessarily prefer them I do enjoy them. Will probably end up buying this but still not sure whether to go all-in and get the big box...

Deacon Blues likes this.
  20. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

then I'd say it was either Ringo... or Olivia

lol everybody likes to blame Paul & Yoko

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  21. stevechang64

stevechang64 Forum Resident

Anyone know of a link were we can hear or download this show?

22. green_ovation

got to be Ringo. He doesn't want to make Abbey TOO good, as it could interfere with What's My Names chart performance next month lol

zipp, jmxw, Lewisboogie and 1 other person like this.
  23. green_ovation

agreed. For me personally, Come Together is the song I'd love to have every version in existence. Kind of a bummer that it was incomplete, but I don't know how many complete versions there actually are either.

stevechang64 likes this.
  24. stevechang64

stevechang64 Forum Resident

I doubt it was Yoko because I think John was open to releasing everything as he was a bootleg collector himself and actually left specific instructions to Yoko with what to do with the ‘Beatle tapes’. As Yoko has released a lot of his solo material outtakes I think this is likely reflective of John’s wishes on this subject.

Maccartney we clearly know was adverse to release anything that made the Beatles look in any sort of negative light and was arguably the biggest objector to re-releasing the Let it Be movie for all these decades. But I feel he’s likely softened as he’s aged. His own catalog he’s releasing with alternate versions. Plus the comment implies it’s not the obvious choices.

I doubt it’s Ringo. Ringo back then and today still seems to be the same easy going good guy. I doubt all of a sudden he’s become a different person in a business sense. I think I recall reading him getting a copy of the pepper 50th and he was so happy at how it sounded and how his drums sounded. It appeared it was his first exposure to the product and didn’t seem like he had much involvement in its compilation.

So then it’s Olivia. Not sure what to think about this.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  25. green_ovation

I dunno…. maybe they shaved a bunch of John & Paul's stuff off so it didn't overshadow George.... but looking at the tracklisting…. this is a mostly-Paul album, no way around it

Lewisboogie and stevechang64 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.