Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

I really think their attitude was that these tracks were the biggest pile of sh!@ why put any more time than needed. Couldn’t be bothered as Lewisboogie said.

2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

A remixed "Across The Universe" will be one of the highlights for me.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oh! Darling?
    Yeah ...I think John’s version would have been better, at least listen to them in comparison to judge. AR? McCartney must have ran out of good tunes( maybe MIA up his sleeve te he)as all his power ballads /rocker was on the follow up album, recorded earlier.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

The four mixes we already have not enough, eh! :)

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I predict that they will get it right one of these days... ;)

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What about the iTunes exclusive remasters? Wish these were on CD...

Off the three volumes the last one is my favorite.

reb, Bern and Lewisboogie like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'd love to hear John singing lead on 'Oh! Darling', but some of the notes are so high I think he wouldn't reach them good.

anthony_beat and johnny q like this.
  8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

“Golden Slumbers” a bad tune? “You Never Give Your Money?”. (And I admit; YNGMYM was a little medley in itself). I think the once consistently great composer by the time Abbey Road was recorded was George Harrison. If he’d managed to put All Things Must Pass on this album (just after ‘The End’ instead of ‘Her Majesty’) it would have been an album by George Harrison and The Beatles!

Cristiano Cortellazzi likes this.
  9. alexpop

Side two ..medley is pure Paul McCartney gold. But the follow up album had Let It Be, Long and winding Road + Get Back .. songs ..singles. General public loves them.

scocs and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I get the sense that Olivia would very much be behind this. For several of George's songs to be placed alongside his most popular songs honors George in the way that not including OANS on Pepper honored George Martin's editorial role on that album. It is certain that this song would have been a top contender ...the top contender to be recorded for this next album if any other contribution from George had moved forward.

AFOS likes this.
  11. BeatlesObsessive

It is strange...Lennon is kind of faded... McCartney spends side 1 on inessential material.... It is too bad that the running time on Abbey Road is at maximum 24 mins per side. It's almost as if McCartney is distracted by the long medley and waiting for Harrison to buy in and Lennon to jump in with both feet and make it a sidelong medley. If we were in the CD era and the album were a 60 minute affair you'd have more substantial Lennon... McCartney with some full length non medley musings and maybe Harrison getting up a head of steam. This album could have used a functional band and a third side!

As it stands though .... Let It Down and Wah Wah might have come out perfectly well in a Beatles context.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

BeatlesObsessive..good points.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  13. BeatlesObsessive

You Never is quite a medley... an affliction which would follow McCartney for the rest of his career though who can hate this stuff! Still...without the orchestration Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight is HUMBLE stuff. I always look at the long medley as a sketch of what McCartney intended and McCartney/Martin fleshed out but not a tenth of what might have been if all three Beatle writers were on the same page and putting their minds and hearts into it.

Yovra, Beatle Ed and alexpop like this.
  14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Nope! the mixes we have are all great but plenty of room for improvement with Spector's version which is probably my least favourite. The 'hums wild' version is my favourite

15. BeatlesObsessive

The excitement is that Peter Jackson almost certainly has the crew of film audio pros who'd know what to do with the NAGRAS and the equipment to get the best out of them. I get that Giles would likely be fully handling any audio product for APPLE but if Jackson comes up with film content that strongly suggests some magic moments for the audio im not sure Giles will overrule him as easily as he did Sam Okell. But then again maybe Let It Be will be like the other super deluxes.

16. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Fans: how on earth could George Martin use those Emerick mixes on Anthology! The bar can’t get lower.

Giles Martin, choosing the *probable pirate copy of the “Penny Lane” promo for Sgt. Pepper Deluxe: Hold my beer.

ralph7109, J Alesait, Gila and 3 others like this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Bold to assume that was Giles' call to make. For all we know he did the best with what he was given in that case.

nasa09 and CraigBic like this.
  18. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Maybe.

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I mean even the Beatles insiders here were gobsmacked by the choice. That tells me it came from above.

nasa09, CraigBic, Bern and 1 other person like this.
  20. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

How is it people think Giles is this dictator with enormous power to do whatever he wants when everything he does needs to be approved by Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia.

jricc, beetlesonique, hidlive and 5 others like this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

It seems to be either that or people assuming Paul is this evil dictator that has to have everything be about him.

nasa09 and CraigBic like this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

i knew it!

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Giles is an easy target -the messenger that gets shot.

hidlive, nasa09, marmalade166 and 3 others like this.
  24. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

It looks like this will be the first deluxe edition where they will allow us to cherry-pick from ALL the bonus tracks. See the mp3 version on Amazon.

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

By some posters, shot, lit on fire, thrown off a building, and shot again.

nasa09, Shaddam IV, Beatle Ed and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.