Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

The team may rise to the occasion. With the singles having already been remixed and several mixes of Eleanor and Nowhere Man under their belt. I think maybe Giles and his team will really bring it all together on Revolver. The remix mountain his father didn't climb. Rubber Soul.. the white whale mix that has bedeviled his post Beatles reputation. I really think Giles should leave Let It Be to others as there is no legacy attachment to the album. It was a Glyn John's production and Giles has already remixed the singles. If it were up to me, and it isnt but...., Giles would already be on Revolver!!!! That's where the gold is!!! Revolver has Good Day Sunshine and Here There and Everywhere and Got To!!! Maybe even some Lennon to unearth if anything can be done with I'm Only Sleeping and Bird. I just hope they don't get too conservative with it!!!

2. Ern

Ern Senior Member

I have that file of Cobbin talking about Something.
    Yes he talks about George and John playing guitar on track 8, but I can only hear one guitar, the leslied one played by George.
    He doesn't mention Billy playing piano.
    He doesn't mention dates, so what's your source for those May overdubs?
    The piano coda led by John, with no organ, must have been played live, so John played piano on the basic track takes.
    Now, some new piano could have overdubbed, don't deny that.

nikh33, Gila, LFSDoc and 2 others like this.
  3. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Anyone have good quality pics of some other unused cover shots?
    There's a nice report of Abbey Road photoshoot here: The Daily Beatle: Abbey Road - The road that goes on forever
    According to the Daily Beatle blog, among the various pics, there's the cover of New York City album ''Soulful Road''. In the sleeve notes of the new anniversary boxed set of Abbey Road, it says "in 1973, the vocal group New York City dropped in pictures of themselves on another of Iain Macmillan's pictures from The Beatles' session for their own record, Soulful Road." So, this photo was probably taken on the same Friday, August 8, 1969, but without anyone crossing the road. The members of New York City were photographed elsewhere and then superimposed on Macmillan's shot of the empty crossing.

[​IMG]

It would be great to have an image of that unused photo, without the 4 guys from New York City superimposed on it.

4. deanb64

deanb64 Active Member

Went and got AR vinyl box set in Taunton HMV, Side two from end of here comes the sun through because every revolution there is a horrid sound, So took it back got another one and exactly the same so took that one back and got refund, Shop salesperson said maybe a bad batch. Any suggestions where to buy good vinyl copies of the AR box set or does anyone know if amazon are selling good ones. Thankyou.

5. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

You simply can’t trust someone else’s opinion when it comes to the remix. One guy says it sounds great and another guy says it sounds bad. One guy says there is too much bass, another says there is not enough bass. No mention of EQ settings.

Keith V, HotelYorba101, Bern and 2 others like this.
  6. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Don't have EQ settings, just a Pro-Ject turntable and some powered bookshelf speakers.

bherbert likes this.
  7. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

the one I got from Barnes and noble in the USA was perfect. I dunno if you can shop there?

8. deanb64

deanb64 Active Member

Would if I could but in the UK, Thank you.

Deacon Blues likes this.
  9. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

[​IMG]

fogalu, AFOS, peterpyser and 2 others like this.
  10. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

This photo was obviously NOT taken on the same day as the Beatles shot (August 8). Take a look at how the VW Bug is parked, and then compare the camera placement of the 6 Beatle Shots with this shot (outtake shot for reference):
    [​IMG]

If anything, I think it's another test shot made in the days preceding August 8, like this one:
    [​IMG]

andrewskyDE and RAJ717 like this.
  11. deanb64

deanb64 Active Member

Ain't that what they once said about Beethoven.

fogalu and Lownote30 like this.
  12. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Beethoven wouldn't have been able to comment on sound quality, but only convey what he thought about musically with the written note. That's a different situation.

fogalu likes this.
  13. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Steve Brendell is indeed barefoot, here is the test pic with less brightness and little contrast, check his left foot's curvature and his right's foot toes.
    It was all planned or Paul simply liked this idea (Steve's)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  14. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I'm surprised that everyone has forgotten about this test shot:
    [​IMG]
    Is it a unique test shot, or did someone just superimpose someone onto a colorized version of this photo?:

[​IMG]

(On another note, who is that guy?)

15. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Oh well, I wasn't sure if that's the same take. Some passages in the middle are missing, and many instruments in the final part are different, also John's vocals are not quite the same.

16. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I tried to overlay all shots today in PS and figured it is quite hard to get them to align. Most difficult is the newfound one and the test one (with people). I think the new one was taken on the same day - yes the VW is parked a bit further up the sidewalk (same spot but even more of the car is ON the sidewalk if you get me) BUT other cars are (on the right) are the same including their position. I also figured it is hard to align the new shot with the other Beatles` ones because the position of the photographer is different (not using a stepladder? using a different setting on the camera?).

planckera likes this.
  17. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Those recent posts look challenging since the angles are quite different. I think you're correct about the stepladder. Notice how "squat" the zebra lines are compared to the actual shoot.

The familiar six shots are possible to get aligned, though. Here's a GIF I made from something I've been working on (sorry I haven't had time to color correct them yet!)

[​IMG]

Looks like it was windy that day! ;)

18. mikecarrera

now that I see both together, of course the first one is photoshop (colorized and I'm 99% sure that I've seen the Ringo pic someplace else)! Thanks

Ken Wood likes this.
  19. Deacon Blues

I read a story that Paul indeed admitted to leaving little "clues" to something - to keep the fans guessing. People took it as "Paul is dead" and ran with it. I think that was a happy accident. But somewhere it stated he got the idea from Brian to boost sales. To try to figure out the "mystery" so to speak.

mikecarrera likes this.
  20. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

21. Deacon Blues

Would you say thats valid @mikecarrera ? The Beatles trying to boost sales, because of the different direction their music was going in?

mikecarrera likes this.
  22. mikecarrera

I always liked the idea of all the clues been planted on purpose since 67-68 because one day many years later could increase sales, like a marketing plan, a good marketing idea.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    drum_cas, bigbass and Deacon Blues like this.
  23. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

I disagree. Just look at the cars on the right, they're the same. The day before they're completely different.
    The Daily Beatle makes careful observations about all the details on that unused photo, and i firmly believe it must have been taken on the 8th of August.

Ken Wood likes this.
  24. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

Paging @Wogew ...

Seeing he hasn't posted here since August, he may be listening to AR50 since then, but as noted he has updated his site since with AR50 pics and info.

bigbass likes this.
  25. I’ve been wondering why the Paul-in-sandals photo wasn’t used at all for the remix artwork. It’s my favorite alternate cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.