Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

GM: How you feeling, Ringo?
    RS: Alright, George.
    GM: Hard work, innit.
    RS: Very hard. Give me a job.
    JL (overlaps Ringo's last comment): It's easy for you.
    GH: It's easy... [laughs]
    JL: [laughs]

Meanwhile, starting over Ringo's "Very hard" comment:

PM (to control room): ... what was that one like?
    GE (talkback): Wasn't that the wrong chord - the one on guitar just about half-way through?

DRM, Exotiki and Ken Wood like this.
  2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

So that's three different names for the same thing ...Australia- footpath,America-sidewalk and UK -footway

3. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Thanks, wow, we got some quite differing interpretations of what is heard here now! We`re gonna solve this puzzle together! :)

Mal likes this.
  4. That's pretty cool. The wind effect in the branches in the upper left corner was simulated for the Blu-Ray menu. The amount of movement they simulated is very similar to your GIF above. "Because the wind is high it blows my mind."

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    planckera likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I already have had the latter, so I'll take the bottle... ;)

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Sounds like "Come And Get It" was mastered from an acetate.

Do they not have a tape of this mix?

7. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

i live in shively, ky...asphalt and constant rebuilding the asphalt. there are mostly no sidewalks, footpaths nor footways. or very many buses. except school buses. there are no passenger trains. it's taxis, bikes or footwork, here. there IS a broken down Chrysler army tank at the library! you guessed right, despite everything else: Kentucky doesn't care about its people. 'public good' gets a 'what say?' reply from the pollys, then they go eat lobster... unless ya live in an overrated overpriced area of town called 'the highlands'. they have real good weed there, hence the name.

8. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

There's not a dominant color in Abbey Road as there is on the back cover of Pepper, but I guess if there should be one color associated with it, it would be blue, because of the dress of the woman on the back cover. There's also quite a bit of sky on the cover, and George's clothes.

andrewskyDE, Gila and theMess like this.
  9. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yes, but less blue sky than Pepper's cover. I'll go with the dress : )

superstar19 likes this.
  10. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

I live in Chicago where we have drinking fountains and multilevel parking garages. That is what they are called here. And just an hour's drive north in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, drinking fountains are called "bubblers". Not so just another hour west of Milwaukee in Madison, but there the multilevel parking garages are called "parking ramps".

Don't even get me started on Boston, where what is called "soda" or "pop", depending upon what part of the US you live in, Bostonians call "tonic". And proper milk shakes there are called "frappes". That is, if you can even understand what they are calling anything in those hard Boston accents.

From the song "Penney Lane" I also learned that what we here in Chicago call "traffic circles" and people in Boston call "rotaries" (which may please or displease area Rotarians), are in the UK called "roundabouts".

And what some in the UK seem to call "naughty bits" are called a fairly large number of different alternate names here. Ironically, some of those names are actually of Anglo-Saxon, Nordic and Dutch origin.

And everywhere I have been in the US, I have only heard the term "sidewalk" used. Even in Boston. Of all places.

11. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

Totally wasted opportunity imo

Alex Zabotkin and Exotiki like this.
  12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Soda / pop is soft drink down under. Traffic circles is a new one. Roundabouts here too.
    There are state to state differences here as well. What American's call Baloney we call Devon, Polony, Windsor / Luncheon sausage or Belgium depending on the state or country (NZ)

weaselriot likes this.
  13. beatbro

beatbro Forum Resident

Simon A, Ken Wood and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Picked up the 3 LP set from Barnes and Noble tonight (Too many complaints regarding single LP). There is a visible but inaudible “scratch” about 2:00 from end of IWY on side 1 and runs about 1/8” into deadwax. Other than that and a few random ticks here and there, it’s clean and clear (No swooshy sound). A run through my VPI will probably get rid of clicks. Hadn’t listened to outtakes on vinyl yet, but have listened to the CDs. Vinyl box is nicely done, but could have used some kind of book instead of a 4 page fold out. And what’s with “The Abbey Road”? Misprint?

15. weaselriot

Soft drinks gets some usage here, but around Chicago mostly pop, some calling it soda. I think "soft drinks" may actually be the "official" legal word used in contracts and the like. But if someone uses any one of those terms around Chicago, everybody knows what you mean. But the Boston "tonic" would get most people around here confused with our name for quinine water (as in "gin and tonic"). If a guy from Boston asks for that here, he will get some funny looks and then somebody will likely pour him a glass of Schweppes.

But Boston is a thousand miles away. I find it more remarkable about the usage of "bubblers" in nearby Milwaukee (which has TV stations that can be picked up with just a set top antenna in some northern Chicago suburbs) and "ramps" in Madison, just a 100 minute drive from my previous house in the far north suburbs. So close, but usages so unknown here they might as well be New Zealand.

Also pronunciation varies. Around Chicago everybody pronounces "roof" or "root" like "book" or "cook", as I understand they do in England. But when I was in Massachusetts, everybody laughed at me (they pronounce those words more like "boot").

As for the lunch meat you mention, we do pronounce it like "baloney" but we spell it "bologna". Either way, I couldn't stand that stuff. On days that a bologna and cheese sandwich was in my lunch box, I tried to trade it, but never once found a taker, especially if it also had mayonnaise. Brutal stuff, that. I've never heard the other terms you mentioned, but thanks for the advance warning just in case I should ever find myself down under.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    superstar19 and AFOS like this.
  16. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Only posh people would pronounce roof as ruff. I've never heard any English person say rut instead of root

Beatle Ed likes this.
  17. weaselriot

No. Not like "ruff", which we pronounce same as "rough". More like book or cook. That's just the way everybody pronounces it around here. Even in the scariest parts of what is mostly an industrial city. Maybe in the UK it is common only among the West Midlands upper class twits or Eton or Harrow types. But not here. Ironically, the Eton/Harrow types here in New England do pronounce like you would, matching boot, moot or toot. Complete reversal. Believe me I never knew "roof" or "root" was pronounced any other way until I was living for a time near Boston, nor that my pronunciations would provoke laughter everywhere but Whitehall or Downing Street.

18. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Melbourne, AU, school kids use “bubblers”. In the outer Eastern suburbs.

weaselriot likes this.
  19. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Windsor Sausage... I'll feel a bit more civilized ordering that Bologna sandwich tomorrow.

AFOS likes this.
  20. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The NZ accent is similar to this. Instead of fish & chips the Kiwis say fush and chups and six is sux etc

21. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Hmm. It can't be an acetate surely because the mix is different than the Anthology 3 version, but there is some of what sounds like surface noise at the start.

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

ABC News apparently thinks Kentucky is in Syria. Based on recent news footage. Honest mistake, I'm sure.

'67 Chevy and Frank like this.
  23. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Just had a look into the deluxe book and there it says:
    GM: How are you feeling, Ringo? Hard work, isn`t it?
    Should have looked there in the first place.
    Anyway, listening again I think you got it right!
    At least up to "Give me a job", need to listen to the rest again.

DRM likes this.
  24. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

Outrageous prescriptivism! I've never heard it called a "footway". It's a "pavement". :)

zobalob, John Hatter and Beatle Ed like this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I remember when I played one of my first Japanese vinyl purchases on the turntable, I freaked out!
    Very silent background in most cases. It's sometimes really like putting a tape or CD on instead of an LP. That's the best (and right) way to press records.

Somerset Scholar and weaselriot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.