Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Ringo was filming the Magic Christian, and unavailable to shout, so Paul once again did the shouting for him.

zipp, superstar19, BeatlesBop and 4 others like this.
  2. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Correct, Ringo had consumed too much waffle onset, and was unable to find a serviceable belly-wheel to trundle down to Abbey Road, so Paul was forced to impersonate him yelling something about "...blistered my fish-fingers!" according to the son of Denis O'Dell. Later Ringo was found wandering seriously off-topic around Twinkinghym Studios.
    OK shoot me now

3. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Putting my lid on this thread

If you want all the bonuses wait till the SDE hits the used market and buy a clean -2/-1 copy in the mean time. I have heard a lot of abbey road. A LOT. (Original US, -2/-1, 87, 09, 2012 vinyl, black triangle, MOFI, etc.. ) but for me, a pristine -2/-1 is the best money can buy.

It was fun. “And in the end, the love you take. Is equal to the love you make.”

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

5. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

I finally landed the 3 LP remix set on good, clean, defect free Optimal pressings (whew!), and the CD and Blu-Ray set as well. So all is well and I am done as far if the remix is concerned. I like the remix, but it is a tradeoff with the original mix in my view.

Now, turning to the original mix, I presently have the 1979 non-box MFSL AR and the 2012 LP cut from digital. I understand the UK Apple releases of AR on LP, from the first pressings through the Harry Moss cuts later in the 1970s are generally favored for the original mix. Given the fact that the 2014 mono LP box reaches only so far as the White Album (along with my highly regarded 1978 UK Apple stereo on white vinyl), the stereo only tail end of the Beatles catalog needs my attention, most particularly for the original mix of AR at present.

What about the similar UK Apple reissues of the early to mid 1980s, before the arrival of the digital era with the CDs in 1987, compared with the 1970s and earlier UK Apple releases?

1) Is there any consensus those 1980s just as good, very nearly as good, or not as good, as the late 1970s standalone or blue box versions.

2) And where do those early to mid 1980s UK Apple releases stand by comparison with the better US releases of the late 1970s and early 1980s during that same time period?

Any thoughts?

I wish there were a poll about the early and later US Capitol AAA, UK Apple AAA, the MFSL, and the Japan releases to get a sense of where they slot in amongst each other.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  6. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Recently read an article saying how Oh! Darling is a direct address to John. I admit for a Beatles Obsessive I've never thought of it this way... seeing it as the ultimate McCartney pastiche. It seems strange to think of it as an emotionally relevant, sincere and urgent statement... I thought about songs where the Beatles talk to each other through their songs. How even songs which seem straightforward in their aim... have some ambiguity... Don't Let Me Down... I'm thinking the verses describe contentment and trust and hearken back to the earliest Beatles songs while the chorus instead of addressing Yoko might be directed towards the people and things that went before. In Oh Darling McCartney promises not to let somebody down. I've also seen My Love as a complimentary melody ..an intertwined musical response in which McCartney claims a similar contented state which understands and affirms the sentiments of the earlier song. A quick list of songs by no means complete but where the Beatles address their gripes and grievances towards each other sometimes including wives and their personal states in the mix. In this light some McCartney songs which address women, lovers, romance usually in a histrionic fashion might be covers for a different partner. Meanwhile Harrison is likely the most direct and eloquent but is again being overlooked by the other two!!!

Fool On the Hill
    Across the Universe
    I'm So Tired
    Don't Let Me Down
    The Long and Winding Road
    Come Together
    You Never Give Me Your Money
    Oh! Darling
    Instant Karma
    3 Legs
    Smile Away
    Dear Friend
    Isolation
    Oh Woman Oh Why
    Monkberry Moon Delight
    My Love
    I Know(I Know)
    Let Me Roll It

..with interjections by Harrison

Blue Jay Way
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Isn't it a Pity
    Savoy Truffle
    Wah Wah
    Let it Roll
    Run of the Mill
    Who Can See It

Ringo
    Early 1970

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I enjoyed the book and the quality of a couple outtakes, but this will sit on the shelf next to the others and when I want to listen to AR I will be back to reaching for -2/-1 and maybe pull the book out, maybe not

ssmith3046 likes this.
  8. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Your School
    Yvonne
    One of These Days
    Tug of War

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  9. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Two of us

10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I've thought of it as that, perhaps buttressed by the image of John and Paul performing it in the Let It Be film, but Paul claims it's about him and Linda.

BeatlesObsessive and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

Jealous Guy
    (Just Like) Starting over

BeatlesObsessive and Lewisboogie like this.
  12. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

13. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

interesting video comparing new release
    one stand out is the bridge section of here comes the sun

sethICE and DK Pete like this.
  14. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I realize its a Youtube video and all that implies in regard to the codec compression, but the 1980's UK pressing sounded the brightest and harshest of the bunch through my Prism Calia and Focal Shape 65 monitors.

minkahed likes this.
  15. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I noticed this right away as well.

DK Pete and xj32 like this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm taken aback at at the negativity towards the MFSL nowadays; I always considered it (and still do) one of the cleanest and punchiest versions of the album. Far as this guy's opinion on whether the remix is worth getting, I have to disagree. I will say that one has to be a proponent of remixes in general and a strong familiarity with the album is needed to hear any differences...of all Gile's Beatle remixes, this one is the most subtle. But if you're a fan of the album, even with my few disappointments, I'd easily recommend it.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  17. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Do you mean the 1980s UK sounded the brightest and harshest of "the bunch" being the group of five that he played in the video (US Capitol, MFSL, 1980s UK, 2012 digital sourced and the 2019)? And just as you heard it in the video (data compression and all)?

Have you compared the same, or some, or any of those on your own gear in real time? Which of the five in the video (or others not in the video) do you have in house, and which do you prefer on your own gear from front end to back?

I'm not saying you are wrong by any stretch, but those 1980s UK releases (I believe 1984, 1985 and 1986) are all YEX 749-6/750-4 mothers, some with HTM in the deadwax. One would think they should not be very different from the highly favored (on this forum) HTM cuts from the mid to late 1970s.

This strikes me as a bit important because those -6/-4 seem easiest to find in minty condition for a more reasonable price than the same in -2/-1 or -4/-3.

All of which leaves me curious to hear more from you.

18. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

The harmonies half way through " You never give me your money" are just staggering. I've listened to those about 2o times and each time its a revelation in happiness.

DK Pete and jammincrowe like this.
  19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Perhaps it's about both. One relationship ending and another beginning. The lines "You and I have memories..." you and I lifting latches.." etc seem to me to be about John and Paul

Ken Wood likes this.
  20. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

On the stereo remix, are you saying?

I think I like the mix of those harmonies best on The Long One. Very gospely.

21. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I agree, it could well be about his relationship with John, George and Linda at the same time. That is Paul`s artistry that he takes inspirations and weave them together into something new that does not necessarily bear the same meaning anymore but tells a new story.
    "Two of us riding nowhere" - Linda and Paul getting lost on purpose
    "Spending someone`s hard-earned pay" John and Paul going to Paris with the monetary gift from one of John`s relatives
    "Sending postcards" - could be both
    "Burning matches" - George and Paul trying to get warm on their hitchhiking trips
    "Standing Solo, chasing papers, getting nowhere" - the business rift, when everything was about papers and not anymore about togetherness.

BeatlesObsessive and AFOS like this.
  22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

someone here once panned the MFSL series, so we have collectively dismissed it as being unlistenable..but we love these remixes:shrug:

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I usually enjoy this guys videos. If for nothing more than looking around at the cool vibe his listening room gives off. While I realize his opinion and such in the video isnt meant to be a huge in depth sound analysis I dont really get much from this particular vid.

First the clips go by way too fast to make much of a determination about anything.

But my main issue is what exactly is he comparing as far as what he is listening for.

If Im listening to several versions of an album I think its wise to split things up to judge.

Id listen to longer clips on fewer songs. Id listen for what mix sounds best. Then which album has sonic characteristics that are positive and which are negative. Of course first one has to define what is considered positive/negative sound quality aspects and define those terms.

I dont find his approach very useful.

geekzapoppin, DK Pete and albertop like this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I like that interpretation - almost like Paul's version of "In My Life"

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I'm sure that's a function of uploading the content to Youtube. Unfortunately.

geekzapoppin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.