Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

I'm talking about the Sessions CDs version/mix.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

That's not what "money grab" means. Just because you aren't buying an inferior or unworthy product, conceived with the sole intention of turning a profit without concern for art or value, doesn't mean that others are not buying it and ending up unhappy.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't characterize these Beatles catalogue remixes as "money grabs." There's too much money and time invested, and care taken, even if the end result isn't exactly what we would hope for.

googlymoogly, ggjjr and ssmith3046 like this.
  3. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I do wonder whether there is far too much overthinking taking place when reading threads like these, interesting as they are. Ultimately many won't be happy here unless they have access to the multis and can make their own mixes. I would also wager that in most cases they would be inferior to the Giles Martin remix.
    No remix will ever be 100% successful in pleasing 100% of people.
    For £7, I thought the remix tremendous value and with good SQ. An enjoyable and illuminating reading of a classic album.

4. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

^^This. Although I would have chosen to do a few things a bit differently that Giles and company did, I still find the remix extremely pleasing.

Last weekend, I sat down and listened to the 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray, cranked loud when nobody else was home. The 5.1 mix gave me new appreciation of how much power some of the songs have, especially considering that it's not a "hard rock" album. (How many "hard rock" songs can challenge "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" for sheer intensity of the singing and playing.)

Although I can nitpick about the placement some of the instruments and vocals etc., to me, all those nitpicks combined only take the remix down from 5 stars to about 4.9 stars. The collective creativity in the composing and performances on this recording continues to amaze me, and reaffirms my opinion that this is one of the greatest albums ever made.

OE3, recordromantic, IFP and 3 others like this.
  5. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I try not to get all analytical in judging these remixes and simply give them a try and let my ears decide on that alone whether or not I like them or not. So far, overall I do not like the remixes.

Sgt. Pepper seemed far too "loud" so I immediately shelved it. However, when I was treated to a rip of the lp, it sounded quite nice. Obviously, the lp was mastered at a lower volume or with less compression (or whatever). I have listened to that a few times but still go back to the original mix. The White Album was ok to my ears as far as volume/harshness, but several mixing decisions seemed quite strange. I can't pinpoint why, but several of the harder tracks (such as "Birthday" and "Helter Skelter") seemed to have less effect on me so I quickly went back to the original mix on that one as well. As for Abbey Road, I really didn't see the need for a remix as it was quite amazing as is. However, while a few of the songs had moments, the overall feeling I had after giving it a few spins was that I really missed the subtle nuances of the original mix that it failed to capture. Can't put my finger on them other than saying that each element of the songs seemed less "together" and too separated. Back to the original mix for that as well. I am most looking forward to remixes of Beatles For Sale and Rubber Soul. If you compare the original mixes from those albums with the Anthology DVD remixes, it's an incredible improvement. "In My Life" "If I Fell" "I'll Follow The Sun" are stunningly better to these ears. Not sure what can be done with the first 2 albums (2-track wide stereo separations maybe being brought in a bit closer to the center?) and Revolver sounds great to me already, although I would love to hear more drums on "Got To Get You Into My Life". We'll see...

lobo, Somerset Scholar and kitt1987 like this.
  6. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Devilscucumber likes this.
  7. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Admittedly I found the new Abbey Road release too bloated with bass. I haven't had the opportunity to audition the vinyl release yet but hoping that is a bit more under control in the bass dept than the digital release. Just felt the frequencies at 80 and 40 Hz were boosted past their natural limits.
    Other elements I liked, the clarity of the vocals once you pulled the bass elements down for example.

Somerset Scholar and DK Pete like this.
  8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't think this release, or the remixes, are money grabs or cash grabs, but it seems some people do and consider them inferior releases. Not I.

9. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Funny, I've seen some people complain the remix is bass heavy, others say that the bass is weaker on this release...

nasa09 and ssmith3046 like this.
  10. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Definitely not posted to be funny. Who knows when we’ll get remixes again. Maybe in another 50 years?
    Supply and demand as the free market dictates.

nasa09 and DRM like this.
  11. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

That may because the energy we associate with "bass" actually spans multiple octaves in the spectrum. Whether you perceive an album as bass heavy or not depends a lot on the mixing choices combined with the playback system and which part of the spectrum it accurately recreates, boosts or attenuates.

12. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

it's so heavy

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I got bored with this after two days. The remix wasn't needed and the results aren't different enough to resuscitate my interest in this music. I don't know why I keep coming back for more.

pantofis, trumpet sounds and bherbert like this.
  14. WildWildHorses49

Another post that should be this forum's motto

Summerisle, nasa09, 905 and 2 others like this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

It's how I feel. Sue me.

trumpet sounds and bherbert like this.
  16. WildWildHorses49

Sue you blues

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Devilscucumber and Macca75 like this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Supply and demand is the most important economic dynamic. Apple knows how to market and increase demand. It’s an impersonal transaction. Buyer beware. And let the free market run free.

ssmith3046 and bherbert like this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

"Bloated" is a good way to describe it. The same thing happens-albeit to a lesser degree-on some tracks on the remixed White Album. And due to the "bloating", definition suffers.

20. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

21. ssmith3046

I'm feeling a little bloated today. I think I'll listen to the Abbey Road remix and compare notes :)

DRM, Dean R, Somerset Scholar and 2 others like this.
  22. bklynbass

bklynbass Forum Resident

Just got the Giles Martin remixed Abbey Road Lp yesterday, and having only cursorily compared it to my "mastered at capitol" US pressing, I like it waaaay better. It's much more balanced, and has none of the brittle and harsh sounding high mids of the US, and as expected the vinyl is much quieter. Also, on the US version of "Something" I noticed that the bass is on the right while on the 2019 reissue it's in the center where it should be. At some point I guess I'll compare it to several digital versions I have but so far so good!

pantofis and nasa09 like this.
  23. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Great, bklynbass. I'm enjoying the remixed Abbey Road, too. Also, for those who don't care for the remix, there's still the original mix of the album to listen to. I think the remix should be considered an adjunct to the 1969 Abbey Road mix.
    Marshall

The Beatles "Abbey Road Anniversary Edition" Super Deluxe Box Set Review

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

That’s funny. If I ever feel like a loud suffocated smeared blob gasping for air, I’ll compare notes with the Sgt. Pepper’s remix. I’ll have to go by memory since I threw that missed opportunity/money grab out awhile ago.

pantofis, Lownote30 and ssmith3046 like this.
  25. ssmith3046

I like the Abbey Road remix. I have the Sgt Pepper but haven't listened to it in a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.