Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

An ego project ? Don’t think so, can’t see him wanting to harm the work his dad done for shelf gain, I’m happy to be milked as well if the Beatles bring a box set out.

2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

So the unreleased songs that didn’t make Anthology have nothing of interest? Fair enough.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  3. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Yes. It comes down if you like and want to get the outtakes and/or demos on these reissues.

It was stated numerous times that the ultimate decisions and approvals are all done by Paul, Ringo, Olivia and Yoko.
    He also clearly understands and knows that he got this job largely because he's the son of George Martin.

If anything, it's ego and milking proejct by ex-Beatles and the estates.

Shaddam IV, Carl80 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Whilst I have nothing to back this up, I assume the purpose of these remixes is to ensure the younger generation and those who listen primarily to playlists have a more modern sounding recording with better instrumentation balance in stereo to choose for their listening.

I’m guessing they must have some data/research which shows that younger listeners perhaps skip Beatles tracks earlier than for other artists in their segment/category (possibly classic rock!). So if this way of consuming media is the way forward, they’re looking to get included now.

That’s my interpretation of the remixes, but obviously I could be completely wrong.

I like having the option available to me, always have and I like what has come out so far. I also love having the outtakes too, so the way I see it, this is a two pronged attack release to enhance their position amongst younger listeners and provide existing fans with something different and exciting.

5. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

That and they know they can get more $$$$$$$$ out of these albums once again.

BlindWillieMcZim likes this.
  6. BlindWillieMcZim

BlindWillieMcZim Forum Resident

Both fripperies. Neither worth paying for.

The Anthology, issued in the mid 90s and spread across numerous discs, was extremely heavily padded, and of no more than passing interest even then. There is nothing left of any real value, relative to the core albums. The Beatles aren’t Dylan: there is nothing in the vaults.

Surround sound mixes are for the birds. If you want to listen to Pepper, all you need is the original mono vinyl, or the 2009 mono CD.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Tweet tweet.

8. ejs1950

ejs1950 Active Member

So - after Beethoven died, publishers would republish and also publish “new” works by the popular “master” - to get $$ and to introduce his work to younger instrumentalists. -Same sorta thing.

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

My first thought... "oh, you mean Nancy!" :laugh:

Isaac Azimuth likes this.
  10. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

No, you do have something to back it up: Giles said recently that he aimed to "modernize" the songs in his mixes. I saw it quoted here, possibly in this thread.

autumn daze likes this.
  11. For all the party-poopers: nobody is twisting your arm to buy these releases!

12. Pretty.Odd.

Oh trust me, I'll be taking off work for these releases. Couldn't be more excited. But you cannot deny this remix campaign is an obvious money grab!

13. BlindWillieMcZim

You’re right: I am a party pooper. It’s well known.

People always say that: nobody is making you buy these releases. For me that’s not the point: it’s disrespectful to needlessly tinker with these albums, and it does a disservice to younger/future listeners.

It’s utterly laughable to claim that more ‘modern’ mixes are needed. Beyond a joke.

Somerset Scholar and Chris M like this.
  14. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Strange.

15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yep I always expected them to give me music newly mastered with plenty of outtakes presented in a lavishly illustrated book for free

16. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Also utterly laughable: the fact that younger/future listeners for the most part could tell the difference or even care

17. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

To have the LPs with increased sharpness in sound quality is one major thing!

You have the choice not to buy them, whereas others of us have a choice to buy. If it was down to you though, we'd be deprived of that choice!

18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

For many years, other artists did the Deluxe sets, and Beatles fans would scream and complain that there aren't any Deluxe sets for the Beatles. Now, the Deluxe sets have started, and Beatles fans are complaining that these sets are coming out...:rolleyes:
    Can't make everyone happy. :sigh:

19. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Well, that makes sense for Beatles 1. After that, based on original mixes needing the most "modernizing" - I'd put Abbey Road last. I am not sure a youngster hearing Here Comes The Sun in its current mix would crinkle his/her nose and think "boy that sounds old and odd." It's a pretty modern sounding recording, Abbey Road. Here's hoping no one thinks Let It Bleed, Beggar's Banquet or LZ I or II need remixes. Because they don't.

I get AR is a popular entry point for younger people, and its the 50th anni and all, but I'd say that important Beatle works that could benefit from this modernist approach would be Pepper (done), Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver, Rubber Soul and the singles from those sessions.

But the market forces dictates the decisions not the artistic.

20. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

dsdu said:
    Audrey Farber, Susan Underhill, and... Betty Jo Bialowsky?

"And I'm Rocky Rococo..."

Well now, everyone's here (just waiting for Lieutenant Bradshaw). A moment of happy anticipation of the summer's Big Event. For now, it's all about deciphering The Headlines, and parsing the rumors behind the news.
    Enjoying what's left of the summer,
    Nick Danger (Third Eye)

PS - Welcome indeed, Ms. Haber

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    jmxw likes this.
  21. Pretty.Odd.

Whoah, take it easy. Never said anything like that...

We are both excited for these releases... lets get back to that topic

joeislive likes this.
  22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah disrespectful by the son who grew up watching and learning what his dad did in the studio, you think McCartney wouldn’t object if he thought it was harming the catalogue. carry on.

23. BlindWillieMcZim

Well I for one never cried out for any deluxe editions - although I’d be very interested in them if they were worthwhile.

What fans were really crying out for was better masterings of the albums, and we got them, including the wonderful mono set, in 2009. I can assure you, I pooped no parties back then, and gladly spent hundreds of £.

But having given us those remasters, and having already scraped the outtake barrel quite comprehensively back in the 90s, there’s not much they can offer us now that’s really worthwhile.

The ‘modernisation’ rationale is a threadbare ruse. It is, in the English vernacular, a load of old cobblers!

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  24. BlindWillieMcZim

I actually feel sorry for people who do it. It’s absolutely pathetic.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Anthology didn't scrape the barrel, it just scratched the surface, as the tracks on Sgt Pepper and White Album prove.

However, all these albums come with a disclaimer that there is no obligation for anyone to buy them if they don't want to hear them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.