Abbey Road - Aussie 1984 cut

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndrewSlattery, Oct 7, 2021.

1. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

As quoted from the .wav files of the 'drop I've done for each side:

A Hard Day's Night side one (YAPAX 1001-2 Australian-cut, Australian-made LP)
    A Hard Day's Night side two (YAPAX 1002-2 Australian-cut, Australian-made LP)

Bluebros and DK Pete like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have to check that one out as well. I have late seventies, orange Parlophones of WTB, AHDN, BFS and Help! All of them have that very smooth texture that sets them apart from some other seventies versions. Im on the lookout for copies of RS, Revolver and Pepper.

paul62 likes this.
  3. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

on the Discogs link you posted, you say it is definitely from a 1 to 1 copy of the master tape.

4. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ohhhh good to know. That's the last Beatles record I need a 10/10 copy!

5. AndrewSlattery

Maybe I should change that to definitely sounds like a one to one copy. I'm also going off the interview with DB saying that the Peppers cut was a 1to1 copy. It's the same company, same time, same people. Would be strange they have him a crap copy for this. It also couldn't sound this amazing if it was a 3rd gen tape

6. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

I have a 1984 copy - it was the first pressing of Abbey Road I bought years ago. It is definitely really good, my copy is VG+ at best though, it definitely has surface noise and a few other artifacts.

On the Audio-5, I have never heard it but have a couple of copies of the red SP pressing pressed by Festival Records a year later from the same 1/1 tape, it sounds phenomenal.

AndrewSlattery likes this.
  7. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

or just say its a great sounding analog cut. not sure why you would insta compare this to (what some people say is) the best stereo cut off pepper. kinda seems like you think you found the holy grail. but it seems like it's a stock cut from Australia from the 80s, not a specific audiofile cut that was made specifically for a hifi show. all im saying is some people value info on this site or discogs, no need to make sweeping guesses.

Shawn and lukpac like this.
  8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I have an Aussie "Abbey Road" -2 / -1 (from the UK Stampers... with a "Misaligned Apple" back cover) which I quite love.

imarcq, The Beave and DK Pete like this.
  9. AndrewSlattery

I've got that too. It's wonderful. This 84 Aussie cut is mind blowing compared to it :)

10. AndrewSlattery

Mate, I've got about 30 Beatles records, most are original UK cuts (You can see which ones here - https://www.discogs.com/user/Andrewslattery/) . This thing is astonishingly good. It's better than any 2021 audiophile release I own. It's 100% not a stock cut from Australia. The vinyl is better looking and sounding than anything I've ever seen or heard (It's quieter than my One-Steps and UHQR records).

The regular Aussie cuts from the late 70's on the Orange labels are incredible. The vinyl is silent, but really thin. They say the AUDIO5 cut is done with "thicker virgin vinyl". This press is 100% thicker, and much better vinyl than all the other Aussie cuts I have (And that vinyl is better than any 2021 audiophile vinyl presses I own.) It's also done on Black Parlophone labels, not orange.

It's cut by the same guy who did the AUDIO5 at the same studio, at the same company, one year after the AUDIO5. I'm not making sweeping guesses, and I think I'm entitled to post my opinion of the record based on me owning it, listening to it, and comparing it to all my other Beatles records.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. AndrewSlattery

I can vouch for all of these. All cut from UK metal from the UK master. All pressed on extremely good vinyl.

The Beatles – Revolver (1978, Vinyl)
    The Beatles – Rubber Soul (1969, Vinyl)
    The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1979, Vinyl)

Beatleboy1968 and DK Pete like this.
  12. AndrewSlattery

Just cranked this up for a bit. The low end bass on Come Together is literally making my windows shake and that's only at -20db hahahaha

DK Pete likes this.
  13. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

yep. your opinion is fine. like if you said this is fantastic and the best you've ever heard it. but your comparisons to the pepper are speculative. if you can't see that, that's fine.

14. AndrewSlattery

The comparison to Peppers is valid. It's the same mastering studio, the same equipment, the same engineer, pretty much the same year (give or take a few months). This was also done by EMI, not an audiophile label. They're the actual record company.

Up until 1979 all Aussie AR records were cut using UK metal.

[​IMG]

The first Aussie press of AR was cut from the master tape, and according to this photo it was the second cut ever done. So the tapes were beyond fresh.

It says on the master tape box that there was a 15IPS copy done in 1979. It's pretty safe to assume this was done for Australia given that's when they started cutting AR in house in Australia vs using UK metal. A random tape didn't just magically appear.

This sounds better than the original press. They didn't send a crap 3rd gen tape.

If you don't want to listen to me, then that's fine.

15. AndrewSlattery

@DK Pete Revolver and Rubber soul are original tube cuts. To say they're WARM is an understatement :)

Sgt Peppers is the very very very first UK cut. It's so good. The 3D sound on this record is mind-blowing. Especially the sitar on Within You, Without You. It just shimmers. It's so life like it's brilliant, like they're playing in the room.
    • Matrix / Runout ((A Side Stamped)): YEX-637-1
    • Matrix / Runout ((B Side Stamped)): YEX-638-1

DK Pete likes this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

These are all ones I will be looking out for. Thank you.

17. AndrewSlattery

You won't be disappointed. I recommend following this guy on Discogs. I've got all my Aussie Beatles records off him. They're always graded 100% accurately. He says he's got half a million records in a warehouse and is slowly putting them all up. He's got a truck load of mint 70's Aussie Beatles records.

revolverecordsaust

DK Pete likes this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I truly appreciate this.. I actually just went on eBay and found-to my disappointment-these aren’t too common…at least not at the moment. Thanks for the link.

19. AndrewSlattery

No worries.

They're probably not common in the US, but pretty common in Aus from what I've found. They're generally from the Aussie Blue boxes, and a lot of the time they're pretty much unplayed as people who bought the box already had all the records.

Might even be worth looking for mint Aussie blue boxes from 78. They go for around $400-$500 AUD and have all the records. Most are UK cuts apart from Help (Aussie) and White (OG US)

Al Smith and DK Pete like this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I’m
    Listening to this right now….the biggest tell tale sign of how good the quality is here is the incredibly low level of “s” sibilance on And I Love Her and Things We Said Today…truly a joy to listen to.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    paul62 likes this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

john lennonist and DK Pete like this.
  22. AndrewSlattery

That's correct actually. The White was US too.

I don't have AHDN or BFS but can confirm the Aussie cut Help sounds brilliant. This is the one I have - The Beatles – Help! (1978, Vinyl)

Update: I just snagged a NM BFS from the Aussie seller I recommended above for $35 haha

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    DK Pete likes this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The Aussie mono White Album was cut from UK parts

Mylene and AndrewSlattery like this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The mono WTB and Rubber Soul albums had -1 matrix numbers. Both “loud” cuts.

john lennonist, Mylene and DK Pete like this.
  25. AndrewSlattery

Goes for an absolute FORTUNE too