ABC - The Lexicon Of Love appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan Steely, Sep 4, 2013.

1. jerseyboydavid

jerseyboydavid Forum Resident

Dang... 40 YEARS? I have to break out my vinyl LP of this and give a listen now...

negative1 likes this.
  2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

humanracer and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  3. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i prefer beauty stab!! underrated

sound chaser and Echo like this.
  4. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

This wonderful edition
    ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

6. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

All due respect, both masterpieces.

sound chaser, AveryKG and Blaahh like this.
  7. Blaahh

Blaahh Forum Resident

Thank you. On the tablet the original post was missing, the desktop version I can see it. Weird!

Andrewb likes this.
  8. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Just curious, What did the original vinyl label look like?

9. jerseyboydavid

jerseyboydavid Forum Resident

Mine is the standard Mercury USA Skyscraper label of the time

10. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

That's what the one I just got from the dollar bin has, I have never seen that design before on a Mercury album.

jerseyboydavid likes this.
  11. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

negative1 likes this.
  12. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

I'm aware that some people have this issue with the 7" already - does it state when Sixty Seconds Later dates from?

13. humanracer

I went to see ABC perform Lexicon of Love in Newcastle. Excellent show. The first half was selected singles, second half the entire Lexicon of Love album. Normally these "play a classic album" shows are a bit desperate but here it made perfect sense. There were over 30 musicians on stage, conducted by the excellent Anne Dudley. I thought it was a good idea to perform the show in old music halls as the interior and costumes made it seem as if you were in the Poison Arrow video or that Mantrap movie.

The merchandise stand was very interesting. Martin had brought along boxes of random stuff, including promo vinyl records and CDs, signed copies of original and remastered CD editions, t shirts and tour books. I bought a Japanese SHM Lexicon CD, complete with OBI.

I had a great chat with their manager. He said the latest Lexicon of Love edition will probably not be released this year and he was not happy about it. It will have a 5.1 option.

[​IMG]

Man at C&A, bob60, J_Surround and 6 others like this.
  14. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble Forum Resident

Just back from the Glasgow show - which I was dragged to solely on the initiative of Betty Rubble.

In my time I've seen The Who open with Can't Explain and the Stones with Brown Sugar and there is a certain rush of blood to those kind of moments.

ABC opened tonight with When Smokey Sings (with violins!!) with a full orchestra backing.

Consider that an unlikely addition to the best opening number ever.

The rest of the show was superb too.

Kundalini, altaeria, bob60 and 3 others like this.
  15. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

Just found a original vinyl copy of this in M- condition, and the production on this album is landmark quality.

jimhb, bob60, negative1 and 2 others like this.
  16. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Looking like there a deluxe set coming February 2023, this from Super Deluxe site
    Oh, and just got confirmation from the horse’s mouth (not literally, but from Martin Fry himself), that the deluxe ‘Lexicon of Love’ will be out Feb-23!

17. mmart1

mmart1 Forum Resident

More news from Martin Fry’s Instagram: Mantrap on Blu-ray, plus mention of Atmos mix!

Login • Instagram

negative1, SJP, J_Surround and 2 others like this.
  18. PDMBK

PDMBK Well-Known Member

Love this record. I have a US Sterling press which sounds great. Is it worth seeking out another/better press? Anyone have the UK and US to compare?

negative1 likes this.
  19. humanracer

In a recent interview, Martin said the new edition would include some live shows. Maybe the whole Boston show will be released? He said it is due March 2023.

20. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

FYI, the 2004 Deluxe Edition did include a live show
    The Lexicon of Love - Wikipedia

negative1 likes this.
  21. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Thanks for this link! Super fascinating interview with Mark White, esp. since it seems like he doesn't do too many of them. I noticed they skipped over discussing the fantastic house album Up! and went straight from Alphabet City to Abracadabra. Would be awesome if MW and MF reunited for some new ABC music; while Skyscraping, Traffic, and LoL II are enjoyable, they don't reach the heights of the classic run of albums from Lexicon-Abracadabra (all 4 1/2 to 5 star albums, in my opinion).

negative1 likes this.
  22. HeavensAbove

Eagerly awaiting this in the mail. I read here that the B-side is pretty remarkable and in the Lexicon of Love orch-funk pop style (an outtake from LoL II, perhaps).

negative1 likes this.
  23. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

cool, will be interesting to see and hear that.

later

24. HeavensAbove

The positive review on Post Punk Monk did not lie. The b-side of the Electronic Sound single ("Sixty Seconds Later") is absolutely stellar and unmistakably ABC. Shares a similar sound and texture to "Flames of Desire" and "Viva Love," the two best tracks on LoL II. Actually, I think it would have been better if they swapped one of the lesser cuts on the album for this.

25. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan