About psychedelic music...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkrudy, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member Thread Starter

So when i was younger i used to smoke pot. Did LSD a few times. im actually super clean now i dont even drink beer or coffee anymore.
    When i used to do that stuff i listened to pink floyd/ the doors/ok computer

I see 1960's psychedelic music is a popular thing to collect and a favourite music genre for many people.

A lot of psychedelic music is "whimsical" there are tinges of childlike fairytale type stuff. take for instance syd barret and a lot of music is similar to that.

I always think to myself. how can people drop LSD or smoke weed to this in the 60's? what weird, tame and boring trips i think. Isn't pysch music meant to explode your mind or something? odyssey and oracle, forever changes, piper at the gates are great albums but how are these supposed to blow your mind. I find music that came later would be better capable of doing that.

However today i had a thought that maybe the reason psych music is whimsical is so that you don't have a bad trip? If the music had like the devil talking and stuff it might lead to bad trips? the whole hippie movement was always happy flower childs. I'm thinking this is all to prevent bad trips.

how off am i on this? why is psych music almost the ...opposite..of psych.

2. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

the UK side is often seeking a return to childhood

the US was darker than that

interesting view

3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Looking at something like bathroom tiles or even your own hand can blow your mind when you're under the influence of psychoactive drugs. So music doesn't make too much of an effort on that end.

4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yes, the "UK/US" thing might not always work, but the really whimsical stuff I associate more with the UK, and then the jammy, exploratory stuff I associate more with the USA...

5. pinkrudy

I think if you were hallucinating on your hands and feet then this music would actually "stop you" and make you happy instead of driving you deeper down the hole?

6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I don't know. I feel like had I been listening to Days of Future Passed or Oddessy and Oracle when I tripped, I might have had some proper ego death from the beauty of all of a lot of those pop psych records.

I listened to a lot of stuff, specifically though Jean Miche Jarre - Equinoxe was absolutely incredible. This was about two months after I first heard it, and right before I would get into the German stuff... now that was trippy.

Man, had I not gotten such a poor reaction for months afterwards, I can't imagine playing Klaus while tripping... my god.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

How's this different from "trippy" music? There's musicians that have said (recently 92 year old Burt Bacharach) they work in writing an original song until it feels like they've taken a drug. There's quite a bit of music that not intentionally feels like an out of body experience. Even strange sounds used as sound effects can do this. The timbre of a vocal can feel weird like ASMR...

Test your sensitivity to ASMR with this skin-tingling sound generator

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

thank God the drugs are better now!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

I don't trust anyone who doesn't drink coffee.

I've heard Bob Dylan is fun to listen to on ah-cid.
    Highway 61 for example. Of course I have no idea myself.

bhazen likes this.
  10. pinkrudy

i lied a bit i drink de-caf. does that count?

i suppose any kind of music will give you some kind of "trip"
    i just find the music thats called mind blowin psych is actually just as tame as something like dylan.

ODIrony and rednedtugent like this.
  11. pinkrudy

Guess i just expected the 60's psych genre to be something full of wierd sounds. wierd instruments, spooky vocals. idk... i feel music that came after is more what i thought psych music would be.

12. 7solqs4iago

so you are a little younger than 60? that might make a difference if you weren't there

slow buildups were part of it, today things advance at a much quicker pace in music and movies

13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

There was a long discussion on a similar topic last year:

Breaking down the psychedelic experience in music

My tl;dr is that the music that is most complementary to a psychedelic trip is not always the music that attempts to duplicate that experience in the most obvious way.

14. pinkrudy

yea that thread definitely is answering a big chink of my post. i'm going to take a look at it.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

And some of that kind of music that uses weird sounds often are too obvious and over the top about it that it insults the intelligence of the listener that they have to take drugs just to enjoy it.

zobalob, Mister Charlie and pinkrudy like this.
  16. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

A lot of music that is described as psychedelic isn’t specifically intended to be tripped to. Most of the time it was inspired by the artists’ own experiences with LSD rather than consciously designed as background music.

As far as lighter and more whimsical psychedelic music not being optimal for practical use, that’s probably a personal thing. In my limited experience I’ve found heavier stuff like Iron Butterfly to be obnoxious and off-putting sometimes, whereas some lighter stuff like George Harrison or Brian Wilson can be absolutely sublime.

17. 7solqs4iago

you try and make it through a Bob Weir suite/jam when he's on an off night

trd likes this.
  18. pinkrudy

what if i don't make it though??:sigh:
    :laugh:

7solqs4iago likes this.
  19. pinkrudy

ah, So pysch music is music inspired psychedelics but not neccessarily background music for doing them.

20. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

I find psych to be one of the least useful genre names so I can see why it may cause confusion or frustration.

It tries to cover too much ground and isn’t thematically cohesive in sound, scene or chronology.

Mister Charlie, Revolver and pinkrudy like this.
  21. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

That's my understanding at least.

22. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

My good high school friend Mike was epileptic. So he stayed far away from drugs. But he listened to the most avant garde prog psychedelict stuff. Turned me on to Pink Floyd, Roxy Music, King Crimson, and Tangerine Dream.

23. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I never did acid. I’m paranoid enough. I did have a buddy tell me this story. He and a friend dropped acid. He started to see multicolor polka dots all over the walls. He looked over and his friend was in between the sofa cushion and sofa and kept repeating over and over, “I’m a gotdam hamburger, I’m a gotdam hamburger.”. Not sure which psychedelic song would have helped in that situation :laugh:

24. pinkrudy

yea sometimes mental conditions makes your brain work on a different level.

25. pinkrudy

that sounds scary :p part of the reason i went cold turkey.

thnkgreen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.