DCC Archive ? About quad Darkside

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Since Pink Floyd has been personally involved with the quad mixes of their albums, I was curious what they sound like in general terms (so to speak). Do they keep most of the band up front in stereo with effects all around, or does everything occur all over the place willy-nilly? I'd love to hear them one day, which of their albums did they mix in quad? I believe they did a quad of Atom Heart Mother, and then Darkside through Animals, any others?

2. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Your hunch about Atom Heart Mother having been released in quad is right. Was an import only release in that format. I THINK.

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

PF produced three lp's in quad, AHM, DSOTM and WYWH. There are rumours that Meddle and Animals were also mixed for quad but never released. It's unfortunate that Floyd has shown no interest in remixing for new surround releases. Hopefully that will change in the future. Waters has just released a new multichannel SACD titled "Roger Waters-In The Flesh Live" in which his current band does a large number of original Floyd tracks. I haven't heard it personally, so I can't comment on what it sounds like.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

From what I understand, DSOTM, Atom Heart and WYWH were available both on Aussie quad Tate SQ LPs and British Q8. The sound was better and discreet on the Q8's by far. I've listened to both WYWH and DSOTM from the British Q8 perspective.

Tab Peterson is one of the head bananas who convert Quad into DTS for today home use. His dedication into the old Quads goes beyond what many call "normal behavior", bless his heart.

Tab's Site

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.