About the MOFI - Inner sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marcus.gun, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcus.gun

marcus.gun Member Thread Starter

Hello, my name is Marcus and I've just recently joined this forum.

I've been reading some threads on this forum the last years since I've started collecting vinyls, but today I decided to actually join. I think it would be fun to join the discussions and right now I'm curious about what you have to say about these MOFI sleeves. (hopefully this is the correct forum section)

Ive stumbled upon a thread about MOFI on this forum, and I got abit anxious when I read about some people having trouble with them. I thought to myself how unlucky I could be since I specifically bought this inner sleeves just when I started collecting, to be sure that my records are stored properly.

I dont know if it's just a coincidence, but some of the records stored in the MOFI vinyls looks something like this:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/99f61x.jpg
    http://oi64.tinypic.com/10o4u47.jpg
    http://oi65.tinypic.com/wus7yv.jpg
    http://oi65.tinypic.com/2a65udv.jpg

as you can see in the two last pictures, in some angles the reflection looks something like how lightning reflects in oil. Is this due to the MOFI sleeve? I simply cant remember if it's always been like this. Not every record stored in MOFI looks like this, but a lot of the ones I checked do somewhat look like this. Most of the ones I've checked which has been stored in original paper sleeves are evenly black in all angles of light I could find........

I started to put back all my vinyls in the original paper sleeve. half way through I stopped. It just felt so stupid, I love how the record slide inside the MOFI sleeve and the paper ones seems to scratch the hell out of the records.

Are my records damaged? If so, what have the sleeves actually done to my records, why? And is it reversable?

Hopefully you guys got some answers for me and hopefully it isnt as bad as I first thought!

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You records look fine to me.

3. marcus.gun

Ok, thats nice to hear. I do however find the color reflection to stand out, but maybe its just a coincidence... I got records which my dad stored in original inner and outer sleeve for decades and they are totally black with no wierd spectrum of colors reflecting like this. Well, hopefully its normal.

I will however reconsider buying different inner sleeves. Thank you for your answer

4. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I have used a couple of hundred MOFI sleeves to date and never noticed any negative effects to the LP's.

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Here’s the pics in question...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jon9091

I don’t think there’s anything wrong. It’s just the vinyl formulation and the angle you’re shooting them.

7. gov

gov Forum Resident

Is that a cleaned record you photographed there?

8. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

+1. :agree:

wipster, hifisoup and bluesaddict like this.
  9. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Have used 100's with no issues

wipster and bluesaddict like this.
  10. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Could it be residue left over from a surfactant?

luckybaer likes this.
  11. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

There was a bad batch of MOFI sleeves out there a few years ago that left some sort of residue on LP's. There's a thread on this forum about it too.

I know, because I got some of them. :realmad:

A cleaning removes the residue.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  12. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Hopefully most will agree with me that even brand new/sealed albums need to be cleaned before playing; the manufacturing process leaves oil residues, even bits of vinyl on the albums after they've been sleeved.

Audionerd, luckybaer, irender and 4 others like this.
  13. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

@marcus.gun Welcome to the Hoffman forum!
    No need to worry my friend....the MoFi sleeves will not harm your records. You made a good choice. I’ve used them for many years without issue.

wipster likes this.
  14. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Everything looks fine, for the time being. I’ve used MOFI sleeves on hundreds of LP’s without issue, although for several years now I prefer Diskeeper Ultimates. But I do have a concern, your use of the word “vinyls”. The plural of vinyl is vinyl. I’ve heard, and I’m only concerned for you, is that using the term “vinyls” CAN cause a residue to be left on your records. I’m just trying to protect you from having unwanted damage to your collection. ;)

15. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

16. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

17. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

18. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

19. marcus.gun

Hello guys, thank you for your responses and welcoming! As a couple of people already seemed to have noticed, english is not my native language. :agree:

Good relevant question, but no. No as in I have never cleaned this or any other vinyl I own. That being said I havent played my vinyls more than once either, due to the fact that I dont wanna play them without cleaning them. The last two years I've been studying and the only chance I've got to play them is with my fathers old record player (it surely does the job, but I'm abit wary mainly regarding the age of the "pickup needle" and such).

I'm longing for the day (hopefully this summer) when I'm done with my education and can let myself spend some money on a new (vintage) HiFi-system. Seems like I got abit OffTopic but I guess I've introduced myself abit now at the same time.

The photos you see there is exactly how they look in real life, the two last photos is not about the angle per se (as in its not about some wierd reflection due to the camera flash). It looks evenly black and OK in a more flat angle, but when I tilt it you immediately see these oily colors. These goes for atleast 6 other records I checked yesterday, all stored in those MOFI inner sleeves. Other stored in their paper sleeves did not look like this. But I will take my time and systematically go throught atleast 30 records both with MOFI and OG paper sleeves.

It seems like it was some other thread I read about the sleeves, I just eyed through a couple of pages in the link above, it doesnt really seem like the problem, by the description and looks of it, is the same as mine?

Ugh... it really sucks to be worried about records you've collected, payed a lot of money for and eagerly is waiting to be played and loved. :(

Carter DeVries likes this.
  20. marcus.gun

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I can't see any problem. Your records appear to look okay.

I've used MOFI inners for awhile without issue. A couple years ago there were a bad batch with residue, but I never had any of those. In any case, MOFI would probably replace them if you contact them with a polite email. They replaced a pack I had that were cut improperly.

Before I switched to MOFI I used Diskeeper inner for awhile, specifically the round bottom ones and the 2.0 all HDPE inners. I had to stop using them when quality control slipped and I got 3 bad batches in a row with hard plastic bubbles in them. I still use DK outers though, no problem with those.

22. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Glad I saw this post. It reminded me that I need to stock up on MoFi inner sleeves. I decided to try a package of their Outer Sleeves, because I've been told they fit MoFi's double LP gatefold covers. Those covers are gigantic, and my current outer sleeves don't fit well at all.

Oh, and I like MoFi sleeves. I've been fortunate to never receive a bad batch. The only MoFi product I've tried (SACD, CD, LPs, Inner Sleeves, LP Cleaning Brush) and with which I wasn't impressed was their record cleaning brush. It leaves small, black particles of lint on the clean t-shirt I use to blot them dry, so heaven only knows what they leave on my LPs.

My 2nd cousin told me the proper way to spell "vinyls" is "LPs" or "EPs" or "Singles" - depending on what you're talking about. :) j/k I'm not lexicon usage police.

WapatoWolf, rebellovw and jonj like this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Not this again - is this a Mofi competitor stirring the pot? I've used them for years - and will continue to. In fact I'm almost out - and need to order some more. This seems like the second time a new poster started a thread about Mofi sleeves.

I'll have to dig up the other one.

here it is - new person from Greece that time:

Can MOFI sleeves damage the record?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    luckybaer likes this.
  24. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Whatever issue MoFi had with a batch of their inner sleeves was 7 years ago. I’m not having any issues with these sleeves. I didn’t have any problems from the ones I received in 2012 either but apparently some people did.
    The brief issue was with a powdery residue that was a cosmetic rather than audible problem and one that could be resolved by cleaning the record.

F1nut, rebellovw and luckybaer like this.
  25. jon9091

Huh...and below is what you posted in that thread. Why are you trying to discredit people who have had issues with MoFi inner sleeves, or are merely asking questions about them? I’ve replaced hundreds that left a powdery residue all over my records. I’m still finding them, and the mess they made. I won’t buy their products again. Do you work for MoFi or something?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.