About the MOFI - Inner sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marcus.gun, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcus.gun

marcus.gun Member Thread Starter

It's the same record in all pictures, or do I misinterpret you in some way?

I actually havent been listening to my records more than probably once, and this record was actually one of the first I bought. I remember the sound was... to me... perfectly fine, as in there wasnt any significant surface noise, no cracks or pops. The record itself should be in good shape, at the time of listening. I think it's really hard to actually tell something about the grooves from the picture itself? The thing that caught my attention, was as I previously stated, the wierd colour reflecting in some angles.

But you pin point my concern, the reason I havent listened to my records (as much as I would like to) is due to the fact that I only have my fathers old turntable. its a Luxor Power 9304 with a Ortofon MKII pickup. Nothing fancy what so ever, but at the same time it shouldnt be anything that mess up the record (if taken care of properly, or maybe it's **** I dont know). And that is my concern, I dont really know what the shape of the pickup and needle is in, Im not very used to play records on a turntable which naturally makes me uncertain in how to calibrate the weight and anti skating. I used a beat up old record from my father and browsed online on how to calibrate these two settings. I hope I did it correctly. (have I made it obvious enough that Im a worried soul?)

In the summer I will probably have a job in my field of study and I will allow myself to buy new HiFi-system. Hopefully you guys can guide me in what to buy, as I will start making my research before hand.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too, for years.

cat9 likes this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I use only MoFi inners, and I think they are great, but those Diskeeper ultimate audiophile inners might get a shot next time I need to order sleeves.

ellingtonic likes this.
  4. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

After I experienced the plastic inner reaction issue with a number of early Japanese imports, and some 80's classical LPs with plastic inners, I have switched to thin, soft, acid free paper inners from Bags Unlimited and have not experienced a single issue since. No more plastics that may or may not react with the vinyl in a few decades for me.

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Was that horrible experience with MoFi sleeves, or other plastic sleeves? I don't blame you for steering clear of any plastic after that, but I am curious if this was MoFi-specific. I am under the impression the MoFi plastic should be non-reactive, so I would be pretty alarmed to find out these were MoFi sleeves in your scenario.

I hate paper sleeves, but I could probably deal with them if they are soft enough and don't shed paper scraps.

6. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I’m kind of surprised that the “Mofi-gate” debate is continuing.

What I KNOW from actually seeing affected sleeves - there was a bad batch of these that contained a powder used in the manufacturing process. The powder was visable...you could touch it, see it on your hands. If you put a record in it, it would get on the record and need to be cleaned off. A good friend had one or two bad packages of them and it drove him nuts. He brought a package of them to my house and there was no debating it - they contained a
    visible amount of powder.

I have many Mofi sleeves, but luckily none from the affected batch. Powders are frequently used, by the way, in tbe manufacturing of thin plastics like gloves. I’m sure this was a manufacturing screw up, either by using the wrong grade of plastic or by alliwi g powders from manufacturing to get into the final product.

My new fave, though, are the Japanese sleeves that are almost woven in feel. A little more expensive but not crazy. I bought some at tbe DC Audio Fest.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Same with me. Several MoFi records that I purchased in 2012-13 were housed in “tainted” sleeves. The residue came right off with a cleaning.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’s funny that we’re complaining about MoFi, but what about those horrible plastic inner sleeves that RTI continue to use. Talk about leaving film and hairlines on records. They’re idiots. Cheapness and arrogance.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That’s very true. Those are abysmal.

zombiemodernist and Tommyboy like this.
  10. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

No issues with mofi sleeves here either!

11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Do the grooves look really worn on that RATM album, or is it just the flash?

No issues with MOFI sleeves here either. Other than a bad run, when that was going on

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The ones on recent RTI pressings have been mostly okay for me but sometimes they split. The pink translucent ones from a few years ago were horrible though.

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m not thrilled with their recent inner sleeves. One left film on an LP that I recently purchased. I had to scrub off the residue.

Those pink sleeves were wretched. They always left film on records. Plain stupidity on RTIs part.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have converted and they at great as long as the outer sleeve is good. Some early UK pressings have very flimsy outer sleeves at it can be an adventure getting the inner sleeve in, not unlike threading a needle.

Big Blue likes this.
  15. kimi

kimi Member

After finding out that my paper/plastic polyethylene anti-static inner sleeves leave lots of hairlines on my records every time I take them out/put back, I`ve decided to finally move to MoFi ones.. They are much more expensive than any sleeve I have ever bought, but I guess I`m just tired of constantly seeing the same thing over and over.. Instead of buying all sorts of these cheaper one`s, I should`ve just bought MoFi straight away. Hope it works out.

By the way, anyone used these?
    LP Innersleeves Japan

I feel like I might get burnt once again if I go the cheaper route.

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have not used those specific Japanese inner sleeves, but I have used a different round-bottomed sleeve. I have actually found them sometimes harder to get into the jacket than the square MoFi sleeves. No comment on whether they scratch, as I have not personally seen any plastic inner sleeves cause scratches.

What kind of price are you getting on the MoFi sleeves? I ask because I have not perceived them to be much more expensive than other sleeves I have used, but I’m not sure where you live and what the pricing is like (you linked a European site). In the U.S., there is a volume discount if you buy multiple packages of them at once, but I’m not sure if that is available elsewhere?

17. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I bought a pack of those, and they are very good. After buying that pack, though, I later stocked up on MoFi sleeves again because they are less bulky and less expensive. However, I haven’t had any problems with the MoFi sleeves. For anyone who does find issues with MoFi sleeves and/or anyone who wants a thicker sleeve and doesn’t mind paying more, these are a great choice.

19. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I will say it here too. I just use plastic lined paper sleeves.
    Its cheaper, more sturdy and allows you to slide LPs in and out with only air being in contact with the record, which minimizes hairlines unlike the MFSL or other similar designs which cling to the vinyl surface.

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Maybe this is a regional/international difference, but where do you get poly lined paper sleeves that are cheaper than MoFi? All of them I see anywhere are actually more expensive, so I may not be looking in the right place? :confused:

Leonthepro likes this.
  21. Leonthepro

Oh, fair point, I though it was the case in general but maybe not. I just get mine at the local record shop. Works out at 3 krowns a pop while the mofis go up to 7 krowns per sleeve. Saving more than half.

Norman Records sell some for about 4.5 krowns a pop:
    12" inner sleeve (black). Norman Records UK
    Never tried them though as its cheaper locally.

No idea about the states prices though.

Big Blue likes this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, that’s enough of a difference!

In the US, a pack of 50 MoFi sleeves is $20, or $16.50 if you buy four packs. The least expensive poly-lined paper sleeves I can find online are $16 for 50 (so basically the same price as MoFi), and most are more like $25. So this is why I’m always like “wait, what?” when people talk about MoFi sleeves being expensive. It sounds like pricing in parts of Europe may be less favorable!

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I replace them with Mo-fi. Harder plastic, tight fitting and more likely to scratch.

24. Leonthepro

Indeed. Personally I would still go for plastic lined paper for the reasons mentioned even at the same price or slightly higher.

25. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

In the US, a pack of 50 MoFi sleeves is $20, or $16.50 if you buy four packs. The least expensive poly-lined paper sleeves I can find online are $16 for 50 (so basically the same price as MoFi)

Why try and save a few cents on a inner sleeve when a record costs $20-50 each with a cheap chinese sleeve. used Mofi & Nagoaka for decades by the thousand with no problems
    1st pressing & other rare records get stored in archival mylar inners & outers @ $4 each
    but a small price to pay for records worth 3 & 4 figures each

Big Blue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.