About the MOFI - Inner sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marcus.gun, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

One thing I really like about the Sleeve City Ultimate Audiophile inner, and would probably hold true for the poly lined paper inners as well, is the ease
    that they go back into my resealable outer sleeves without bunching up and having static like the Mofi's. I keep the record outside of the jacket btw.....

2. AlexDelarge

Link to the $4 archival mylar inner and outer sleeves please....

3. kimi

kimi Member

So these are the same ones I use! And I have lots of hairline scratches all over. I admit, at first I would just slide the record in without too much thinking.. Now I spread the sleeve wide open and take the record in/out gently. I still can`t avoid some slight friction and I still get a couple of parallel scratches from time to time, but the improvement is clearly visible. Common sense... you live and learn.. yeah. Being Edward Scissorhands in a way, I guess I would have experienced something similar with MoFi ones or any other sleeves for that matter. It takes some time until certain habits and routine of handling is built.

Big Blue, I live in Europe. A pack of 50 MoFi sleeves would cost me about 25 euro + 5-6 euro for shipping, because I would have to order from abroad. The other ones I can find where I live and so they are cheaper.

Big Blue likes this.
  4. Ray Parkhurst

Ray Parkhurst Forum Resident

Why do you keep the record outside the jacket? I've had many folks ship records to me outside the jacket but really don't know why it is done...

5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Because it prevents the record from splitting the outer jacket seams when it gets jostled during shipping. The edges of the record can act like a knife.

Stone Turntable and Leonthepro like this.
  6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Count me in the group that got a bad batch.
    The one's I caught early cleaned up well, a few have been stained. Although I hear no ill effects.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, so do I

8. AlexDelarge

For convenience because it is easy to just slide the record out of the outer sleeve and because it causes no wear to the jacket since I do not handle it as it remains in the outer sleeve. I top load my resealable outers rather than side load. This is the way to do it folks...IMO of course.:cool: Also, since I am OCD with my shizz...lol , with a record like Led Zeppelin III that has the metal rivet or a record like Sticky Fingers with the zipper, I place a thin piece of cardboard between that record and others on the shelf. I do keep my Led Zep III record in the jacket btw....o_O

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

Strange that I have 40 year old vinyl only stored in paper that still plays great.

nytechy likes this.
  10. AlexDelarge

Hey Willie, you keep your "beasts" in their original Atlantic paper sleeves and all of your white label promos?:winkgrin:

11. Slick Willie

Not all, I buy into the hype as well. Just saying though that my RL's spent all but the last few years in paper.....as did almost all of my WLP's.
    Hmmm....

AlexDelarge likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Are you saying you get the hairlines from the paper plastic sleeves? I thought you use Mofis.

13. Leonthepro

Ive unsealed a few LPs from the 70s that have obviously just been stored in paper sleeves for 40 years or so, some look and play great, some have bag rash problems from the paper most likely and it causes light noise and ticks throughout, cleaning doesnt help. So sometimes its down to luck it seems.

14. Leonthepro

As @tmtomh said, it prevents seam splitting. I just store mine that way normally anyway to reduce ring wear and increase ease of access. When I was new in vinyl I always received split cover seams until I realized what the problem was, then started requesting people ship records outside and havnt had a problem since.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. kimi

kimi Member

No, I am yet to buy Mofi ones.. Heard many good and few mixed reviews, so I`m willing to try them out. And yes, unfortunately I get hairlines from these particular paper plastic sleeves that you`ve mentioned before. They are greatly reduced as I improved my handling skills :D but still unavoidable. Not sure if these sleeves that I got are somewhat defective or it`s more of a tendency. I bought them from a trustworthy seller.. I also have 7 inch and 10 inch paper plastic sleeves (white top as opposed to black ones for my 12 inch) and the same thing - they all scratch. What are the odds of everything being defective? Like I said before, all these hairlines were invisible in normal lighting, but I was in for some shock when I inspected under bright light. Then I have these old, plain rounded plastic sleeves from 80`s that originally came with some of the records and nothing. They are completely clean. I couldn`t detect anything after numerous attempts of just sliding back and forth, even under the same "The Eye of Sauron" light bulb. :)

16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I get your point but over the years I’ve had some of those rice paper “cheap Chinese sleeves” and any difference between them and the MoFi’s would have to be on the subatomic level. I feel some of this is like the folks who claim the QRP sleeves are superior to the MoFi’s when they’re the exact same thing, albeit with different branding.

In point of fact, I’ve been buying MoFi sleeves for years and the implication that they’re in any way flawless is, well, flawed. Ignoring the allegations about smudges, scratches and stains, the one very indisputable issue with MoFi inners is they are flimsy. Not only do they crease extremely easily, but in any tighter fitting jacket those MoFi’s are going to bunch and fold in the corners (and possibly elsewhere). On top of that, I find many of them are cut a bit too short, leaving a sliver (or a chord for the geometrically-inclined) exposed near the top. I don’t know what either the folded corners or the exposed slice means long term, but I feel at the very minimum it means your record is slightly more exposed to the elements than it should be and you’ve got additional (folded) material pressing against the surface.

So yeah, the MoFi sleeves are good but not a perfect product by any stretch. If anybody out there can locate a comparable alternative than saves them a few bucks, by all means, go for it.

Leonthepro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.