AC/DC Albert CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gavynnnnn, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fabulous album...loved it since day one.

sathvyre likes this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Powerage is probably my favourite AC/DC, and I would say objectively the best (most diverse, best lyrics, killer production, great performance all around) but there are days that Flick Of The Switch tops it for me just because Malcolm was at the top of his game for riff-writing in that period. Not to mention Brian's voice still at its peak and the production being crisper than the previous two.

Why are the Albert CDs considered the best? A lot of it has to do with using the first four Australian albums – I think they *might* have been reissued in 1995, but I can't remember for sure, and even so the remastering wasn't considered the best. The Alberts had those albums in their original running order with dynamic range and natural EQ.

Why are the other ones considered so good? That's something I've often wondered. The original US Atlantic CDs Highway To Hell, Back In Black, and For Those About To Rock were mastered by the great Barry Diament. I have all three and they sound very good. I don't know how the Alberts stack up against them, though.

One thing to bear in mind is that there are two runs of Australian CDs, mostly with different mastering. There was a thread linked earlier and somewhere in there is a breakdown, but if I recall correctly, the 1989 version of High Voltage is preferred (465250 2), but the made-in-Japan ones with catalog numbers starting with CDP are preferred up through Highway To Hell (though some are digital clones). I don't know the exact differences but those are the ones I have saved in my Discogs list so therefore they must have been the ones recommended.

By the way, @gavynnnnn, nice profile picture. :) "Rain" has one of the best vocal performances I've ever heard. So powerful.

The Doga and Rockin' Robby like this.
  3. gavynnnnn

gavynnnnn Forum Resident Thread Starter

TNT is fantastic as well

Rockin' Robby and BryanA-HTX like this.
  4. gavynnnnn

Thank you!! It really is. I have everything significant they’ve ever put out, including their 2001 EP. My Breaking Benjamin Collection is my most prized

5. gavynnnnn

Also, I’ve heard up to Back in Black is preferred, everyone I’ve ever seen swears the Albert Back in Black is better than the Diament Back in Black.

The Doga likes this.
  6. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Absolutely, shame the rest of the world never got it.

The Doga, Rockin' Robby and sathvyre like this.
  7. gavynnnnn

Definitely the crime of the century lol as for Highway To Hell, I’m super nervous as to how it’s gonna sound but I’m ready to hear a good disc.

BryanA-HTX likes this.
  8. gavynnnnn

Well I can say this version sounds phenomenal. Like someone said it has one issue: The left channel is noticeably, sometimes distractingly louder. However I've corrected this and it sounds definitely the best of all the versions.

jfeldt likes this.
  9. gavynnnnn

I got the disc, once I fixed the channel issue it sounded amazing

10. gavynnnnn

Okay so, the left channel was louder than the right by a lot. I corrected it using panning and now that it’s correct it sounds amazing. This disc is definitely from the master tapes. Would you like to listen?

11. The Doga

The Doga SHMF’s Number 1 AC/DC Fan

I don’t think that’s entirely true, about some CBS’s being digital clones of the CDP’s. Out of the ones I own from both sets (I’m currently missing 5 from the CDP’s, but now currently own all the CBS’s), only Back In Black has its total running times exactly the same (41:46), but the CBS is louder and a little crunchy compared to the CDP, which has a more intimate sound that actually does this album good, which in my opinion is gonna sound weird. Prior to last Saturday, I was told that the CBS Let There Be Rock was an apparent digital clone of the CDP, but both have different total running times (39:58 for CDP vs 40:03 for CBS), and the CDP’s side 1 tracks are a little louder than side 2’s, whereas the CBS’s sound more even (to me). I’m not an expert on this subject (far from it, lol), I’m just giving my own personal opinion from experience.:righton:

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The best of the best. Keep them.

The Doga and Echoes71 like this.
  13. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I have! Thanks for the confirmation!

The Doga and McLover like this.
  14. The Doga

Just thought I’d show what’s in my collection of CDP & CBS CD’s, which is a significant increase since I last posted a picture of my collection of them here. It’s grown enough to require 2 photos. Here’s my CDP’s:
    [​IMG]

And my CBS’s:
    [​IMG]

15. The Doga

Which Back In Black would that be? JFA or CBS?

16. gavynnnnn

Probably the CBS, but I’m honestly not sure.

17. The Doga

Well it’s a good choice, if you can’t afford the JFA.

18. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I've always wondered what does CDP stand for?

19. The Doga

Yeah, I don’t know myself. From what I’ve seen, it was used as part of the catalogue numbers on many early CD’s.

20. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I think CDP was for EMI CD's. CDP was a single CD, CDS was a double CD set, CDM was for classical music.

The Doga likes this.
  21. The Doga

Well, I assume that’s correct, as I noticed some of the Beatles 1987 CD’s also had CDP catalogue numbers too.

22. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

None of Albert CD's past Let There Be Rock are preferable IMO. Very splashy and grating high frequencies.

The three I like...

High Voltage [Albert Productions CDP 746667 2]
    T.N.T. [Albert Productions CDP 746272 2]
    Let There Be Rock [Albert Productions 465256 2]

23. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I don’t know, I think the non-Japan Alberts Powerage and and Highway sound better than the original Atlantic.

The Doga likes this.
  24. The Doga

No preference for Dirty Deeds?

25. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

The Atlantic by a hair. Not a fan of any of the masterings of that album.