AC/DC Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Apr 5, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I know it isn't seen as cool, but shorts are really comfortable to play in :) especially in Australia

2. mark winstanley

Landslide
    This song revs up so nicely. We get that kind of bluesy riff reference and it ploughs into this really nice uptempo..... kind of a boogie. There is this really nice loose jam feel as the song works its way to the real opening of the lyrics, although Brian throws in some nice adlibs.
    The pre-chorus is like a tongue twister at such a rapid pace, and we get into a powerhouse chorus.
    This track is like molten metal just sliding wherever it wants to go. Angus takes the lead break at speed and really slams home some power playing.
    This is an adrenaline charged piece of high powered boogie that really delivers.

3. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

Junior Wells surely?

4. mark winstanley

Guns For Hire
    We get a staccato opening the works its way into one of Angus's single note riffs and the chords come in around it building the tension.
    We get a sort of key change into the verse, and it works nicely as a device to draw the attention.
    We pound into the chorus and it is classic Acdc stuff.
    This is a pounder of a track, that really sums this album up for me. The band under Angus and Malcolm guidance were dropping the idea of production being the main thing, and just laying down some solid, hard rock. They knew what their real fans wanted here, and they delivered. Acdc was never a pop band, but the Back In Black success, as is often the case, gave the band a new crowd of people that weren't necessarily into what Acdc was about.
    I personally love For Those About To Rock, but it is effected to some degree by the success of Back In Black, and the feel of the album is somewhat damaged by Mutt's need to be "the Producer" ... sure any band can use some guidance and advice, but with a band like Acdc you really just need to get the mic's where they need to be, get a good sound, and record.

5. mark winstanley

possibly, I only know Rory's version.

Anno likes this.
  6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I think he's actually wearing half the stage outfit there. Because those look like the regulation shorts and he always wears jeans.

Maybe they were doing a photo session before this. What's great is with AC/DC there would be no way to tell. Nobody would be wearing anything different.

7. K.K.VanMalmsteen

K.K.VanMalmsteen These Go To Eleven

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite Brian era songs.
    In one of these threads I'm pretty sure it was @mark winstanley who described AC/DC as 'Aussie Pub Boogie Rock'. I'm pretty sure Landslide is a perfect example of what he was getting at.

The MEZ, erikdavid5000 and blutiga like this.
  8. mark winstanley

It would have been me or@blutiga or both...
    I don't remember .. whoops that's Peter Gabriel:)

blutiga and K.K.VanMalmsteen like this.
  9. mark winstanley

Deep In The Hole
    Again we open up with a really raw, live sounding guitar, and the song has a really cool groove. We get this really nice lead in riff, that takes us into the chorus.
    I like the way the chord structure follows the vocals here and it just works as a good rock song.
    Angus again throws down some great lead ... I mean what's not to like about this album ....

10. mark winstanley

The Doga, Jonny W, The MEZ and 5 others like this.
  11. mark winstanley

Badlands
    Again we get that really raw live guitar sound opening us up here. We also have a real return to a solid blues design, and really this is a very solid track.... I guess my initial thoughts on revisiting this album had me not quite in the mood for it, because on my first listen back this didn't really grab me as it did when I was a pup, but this morning it really gets my attention and works well.
    This is Acdc in full tilt boogie blues band mode ... obviously turned up to eleven and with Brian tearing his throat out in the vocal delivery.
    Angus always comes to the party when the band is playing this kind of blues based material and this does exactly what it needs to.

The Doga, Queezma, Jonny W and 2 others like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Brain Shake
    I prefer a caramel or spearmint shake, but whatever takes your fancy.
    Here we have a bit more of an uptempo rocker. Nice punctuated chordal sections, and some nice walking riffs that keep the momentum rolling along.
    I like the change up in pre-chorus section too.
    Not my favourite on the album, but a good closer

13. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I don't think we've said enough about this great AcDc album. I think this album might be Brian's 'Powerage'.

supernaut, cageyc, The Doga and 9 others like this.
  14. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes. This is one great track. One of my favourite Brian era songs as well.

15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

You know we wont be in disagreement on this.

supernaut, The Doga, blutiga and 3 others like this.
  16. mark winstanley

I am kind of stunned Acdc have so little traffic on this thread.
    Even if I'm doing a crappy job, I would have thought there would have been more folks throwing their ten cents in to be honest.

17. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

Don’t think it’s anything personal feller, most folks had been massively into the band but after the substitution with Brian the albums tended to peter out and became somewhat formulaic, with the odd outstanding track, I’m looking at you Thunderstruck, but for me they had become more mainstream but still an amazing live experience, but the big change for me came with Phil Rudd gone.

Man at C&A, blutiga, Queezma and 3 others like this.
  18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

You're doing a fine job - you can see that I have a heard enough time keeping up in the Rush thread. Not a crappy job at all.

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

You are doing a great job. Don’t worry.

20. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

You are doing an excellent job but I thought more fans would be showing up as well, I even thought that during the Bon era as well.

21. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Bedlam in Belgium is a real fav yo. Killer rock n roll

22. mark winstanley

Cheers guys.
    I wasn't looking for a pat on the back lol.
    Just thinking aloud

The Doga, blutiga, Tim 2 and 3 others like this.
  23. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Seems I‘m late to the party, so sorry if I repeat anything that has alright been said.

The Aussie High Voltage is my favourite AC/DC album (did my avatar tip you off?). Especially Love Song grabbed me the first time I heard it at a friend‘s who had the coolest stereo in his room.

It was a bad cassette recording from the radio, but I copied the bad copy and played it to death. (Must’ve been like 14 years old). Back then it was impossible to find it here in Germany.

Many years later, with internet and a job, I got me a nice copy on Ebay. Made a needledrop straight away, so now it’s always available whenever I feel nostalgic.

The Doga, blutiga, Scope J and 2 others like this.
  24. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If anything, this thread is causing some to reconsider that long held opinion.

25. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I'm glad I got a chance to re-listen to Flick Of The Switch. There are some great songs on here, Nervous Shakedown, Guns For Hire and Brain shake are top notch Angus Gang.