AC/DC Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

Whoa, the Jack is a classic, the original lyrics introduce the fact that the band can write a bit and also flag up the influence of the blues on the Young brothers.

The Doga, 905 and blutiga like this.
  2. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The album version is kinda boring for me but the version on If You Want Blood smokes. They’ve kind of played it out live though.

The Doga and tinnox like this.
  3. knutmh

knutmh Well-Known Member

As i was born in '76, i only started enjoying AC/DC around their Razors Edge album. Soon i was all into their 70s releases with Bon Scott. Just yesterday i listened tothe TNT album in my car, and songs like "its a long way to the top" and "Rock 'n' Roll singer", "the Jack", "live wire" and "Rocker" just get me rocking still, 30 years after "discovering" them. AC/DC has pretty much influenced my music taste, to the point where i mostly listen to late 60s and 70s rock/prog rock or newer band influenced from that era. I had my fling with grunge, dance and such in the 90s growing up, but always returned to the roots with those early AC/DC albums...

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I find it tedious beyond belief, but sure, it has the lyrics going for it. Bon knew his way with a pen.

DirkM and GodShifter like this.
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Cool pic!
    Got all of em?

Tim 2 likes this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

And both indispensable as well. A Chuck Berry cover indeed.

The Doga and mark winstanley like this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Interesting anecdote about the Jack.
    I believe it is based on a true story whereby the guys actually got THe Jack off some girls at one of the locals. The story goes that they debuted the song at that local pub and Bon wandered around and pointed them out as he sang She's got the Jack.
    It may be a fairytale, but it sure sounds like something the guys would do lol

8. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Looking back, when I nicked some LP's off my dad I should have taken more. However, at the time I'd never heard of half the bands or singers. I did take the UK 'Dirty Deeds...' LP which I've consistently played for over thirty years. Picked up a UK 'High Voltage' last year which I've been getting into of late. It took me a couple of years to start playing AC/DC again after spending ten years in Oz. Everywhere, all the time.

blutiga, mark winstanley and drift like this.
  9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

And not long before that Bon wrote a love song to his wife...

Dirty Deeds today, or will it be too soon?
    And where will ‘74 Jailbreak be discussed, along with DDDDC or after Flick Of The Switch by date of release? :confused:

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

Not my thread mate. I think we are still talking about the (first three) debut albums :)

11. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

You were definitely hanging with the right crew over here then. Did you know 1 in 3 Aussies wear an Acdc T-shirt.
    Actually I just made that statistic up :)

The Doga and mark winstanley like this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yep, decent lyrics but an absolute snoozer only, perhaps, rivaled by Thorogood's "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" in terms of cringeworthy time wastes that grind on my nerves.

13. mark winstanley

Probably my least favourite Bon Era track

GodShifter and blutiga like this.
  14. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I was just old enough to remember the VD epidemic we had over here during the mid 70's. VD or 'The Jack' was the topic on everyones lips (pardon the pun), VD clinics were everywhere, usually next to 'The Dole' office. It was like sexually transmitted Covid-19 at the time. Everyone was paranoid about getting it. The song was like a great piss take of the whole moment. I think songs like this one and Rosie among many others really captured the personality of the people and the place during that era imo. I think maybe only Skyhooks rivalled ACDC or Bon for clever 'streetwise' takes on our world.

The Doga, vanye, tages and 2 others like this.
  15. mark winstanley

Yea, I have no problem with the lyrics ... i reckon
    a) I have heard it too much over the years (although I have heard most of the Bon years a whole bunch... and I'm not even slightly sick of the majority of it ... it think it's just the Jack)
    b) It is just a lesser track from the guys

Macainsh wrote some great stuff and was probably one of the first guys to have any real success writing pretty much exclusively Aussie themed lyrics

The Doga and blutiga like this.
  16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The Jack is a case of the music serving the lyrics.
    I prefer the guys more when they rock out like a five-headed pantzer.

Just my opinion.

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes, I do get how the song drags for many especially in this day and age. For me it's really an Aussie Slow Blues song from back in the day. Every Pub Rock band in those days had a Blues or three in their repertoire, even if they weren't strictly a Blues band. The Jack, Ride On etc. Apart from the lyrics to draw people in (imagine how this song would have gone down with the audience on those mid 70's ACDC tours across Oz through every country town this side of the black stump), this is also a showcase for Angus's Blues playing. And what a Blues player he was (is). It still amazes me when I hear his playing from this era how advanced he was in his feel, tone and phrasing for someone so young. He was a master of the major to minor Pentatonic Blues moves, which were far beyond the knowledge of most Blues Rock players from that era except for very elite players. I think it gets overlooked a lot, perhaps because he was also incorporating his lines into the bands 'showmanship' as well. I wonder how he got so on top of this guitar language so early. George Young and Harry Vanda didn't have this kind of fretboard knowledge. Perhaps Malcolm showed him these kind of moves and Angus ran with it and refined it. I don't know. And Angus will never tell us :)

The Doga, drift and mark winstanley like this.
  18. mark winstanley

Between the presentation and delivery of Bon and Angus, the band really was playing with a loaded deck.
    Angus is a fine guitarist, and I think even in his aggressive rock stuff there is a hint of blues.

The Doga, The MEZ, GodShifter and 3 others like this.
  19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes, I think of his playing as all Blues based no matter what the context. The guitar breaks in It's A Long Way To The Top are masterful. When I saw him on the last tour out here, I am sure I heard him play a Dorian phrase for a split second. It sounded so 'wrong' :D

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Without a doubt. Still, with Angus and Bon there was the secret weapon of one of greatest rhythm guitarists and writers in Malcolm Young. Full deck indeed.

21. mark winstanley

The thing is they were all solid, and actually functioned as a band. It isn't as common as it should be lol

22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love this song. It's also on the international Dirty Deeds.

The Doga, blutiga and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

It's A Long Way To The Top

A rock classic that was huge in Australia ...
    How huge were Acdc in Australia you ask ... When my band started doing gigs around 87, the only stipulations (made by us, not anyone else) were - no Acdc, no Wild Thing. The reason being even in the late eighties, Bon era Acdc songs were probably played by most pub bands. How do you balance that off to understand exactly ... We were playing Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and such, and that stuff was really rare compared to Acdc.
    Anyway that is just some dribbling side note from a semi-demented old man....

This song was big. I reckon it got played everywhere, and we loved this video. The band just cruising around the city on a flatbed.... we wanted to do that... Cool as ...

It's A Long Way To The top apparently only reached number 9 on the Aussie charts but that doesn't really reflect its impact. Frankly for a hard rock song with bagpipes, I reckon that's pretty amazing anyhow.

24. mark winstanley

High Voltage

This was actually the first single off the album, and again when you get hit back to back by these two tracks and you love guitar rock, and you're 6/7 years old it is awesome ... I reckon it took me a few years to buy any acdc albums when I became a music buyer, because it felt like I had all these songs inside me anyhow. I literally grew up with them.

The Doga likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

Rock And Roll Singer

This was actually my favourite Acdc song for the longest time.
    I just thought it had a cool groove, a cool riff, and probably somewhere deep inside I wanted to be a rock and roll singer.

Gus Tomato, The Doga, vanye and 2 others like this.