AC/DC Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Yeah VB is filth....... Say's something of my country that its the most popular beer :mad:

Anyway Stiff Upper Lip is another quality ACCADACCA release for me..........

The Doga, blutiga and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

This is just a fantastic record. The sound of a great rock and roll band having fun. The Rudd is on fire on this album.

3. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

SUL truly is a lost classic in the AC/DC catalog. Unapologetic heavy rythm'n blues stripped down to the core. The album resonates a bold statement.

4. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

This is a contender for having Mal's greatest ever tone. Cracking song. Really kicks off during the solo.

The Doga, D.B., blutiga and 1 other person like this.
  5. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

Does anyone has information about how SUL was recorded ?

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Brother George was back behind the controls which is always important as he brings a lot to the arrangements and Mike Fraser was on the mixing desk which is more standard. It was also the first time they had used Bryan Adam's Warehouse studio in Vancouver. It was quick recording session with some things like the vocal for Can't Stand Still being done in a single take.

The Doga, blutiga and mark winstanley like this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

"Safe in New York City"

[​IMG]
    Single by AC/DC
    from the album Stiff Upper Lip
    B-side
    "Cyberspace", "Back in Black (live)"
    Released 2000
    Format CD
    Recorded 1999
    Genre Hard rock
    Length 3:59
    Label Eastwest
    Songwriter(s) Angus Young, Malcolm Young
    Producer(s) George Young, AC/DC

"Safe in New York City" is a song by Australian rock band AC/DC, from their 2000 album Stiff Upper Lip. The song, which was written by members and brothers, Angus and Malcolm Young, was released as a single on 28 February 2000.[1][2] It was co-produced by their older brother George and the band.[1] It reached No. 21 on the US Billboard Mainstream Rock chart.[3]

The video to the song, directed by Andy Morahan,[4] shows the band playing a busy tunnel in the city, surrounded by armed police officers. The promo CD single contained a live version of the song, which was recorded on 13 September 2000 at the America West Arena in Phoenix, Arizona. This live version was later re-released nine years later on the box set Backtracks.

The track gained poignancy after September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City. Angus Young said that although originally the lyrics were meant to make fun of Rudy Giuliani's claim that he had cleaned up Manhattan: "to me New York is a city where you can never predict what's coming next." [5] The song was later included in the 2001 Clear Channel memorandum, a list of "lyrically questionable" songs.

1. "Safe in New York City" (LP Version) 3:59
    2. "Cyberspace" (Non LP Track) 2:57
    3. "Back in Black" (A. Young, M. Young, Brian Johnson)
    (Recorded live at Plaza De Toros, Madrid)) 4:07

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We open with the classic Acdc sound of the single electric guitar, and then the beat comes in, and we get a building groove.
    We again move into an Acdc riffy type track. It almost sounds like something that could have been on Let There Be Rock, except for the slightly more homogenised guitar sound.
    I kind of like what they were going for here lyrically, and although the chorus is just the title, it has a sort of ominous, with a sarcastic twist to it.
    We get a few infusions of Angus which is always a good thing.
    This ends up being another good track.

8. mark winstanley

Cyberspace
    This is the b-side to Safe In New York City.
    It has a nice grooving feel, and does what it need to do. It is pretty good, but I think its b-side allocation was probably the right choice

The Doga and The MEZ like this.
  9. mark winstanley

Can't Stand Still
    Angus uses his latter day lead style intro to give us a variation on a I IV V blues riff and we move gradually into a building groove rocker.
    The guitar layers build up and we get Angus laying down.
    This song works with its feel, and fits nicely in the flow of the album. A pretty good album track.

The Doga and blutiga like this.
  10. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Probably my favourite AC/DC video
    https://youtu.be/JTDZ5O5lH_0

Cracking song that worked really well live and changes up the pace nicely. Again there is some real umph.

11. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

I’d have put Cyberspace on the record as another faster paced track. It has a real kick to it.

12. mark winstanley

Hi guys.
    I'm sorry, but I just don't have time to follow this one through. With prior commitments and an increasingly heavy load at work, I am going to need to leave this for someone else to finish off.

Cheers
    Mark

The Doga and blutiga like this.
  13. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

You did a great job here, thoroughly enjoyed it.

In the meantime, today is the 40th anniversary of the release of Back in Black and I'm currently spinning the vinyl. 40 years!!! So much nostalgia....remembering good times with great boyhood friends. Music is the perfect time machine.

The MEZ, blutiga, Queezma and 2 others like this.
  14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just picked these up yesterday
    [​IMG]
    Blue Albert label from Australia

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  15. mark winstanley

Very cool

The Doga and tinnox like this.
  16. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How much?

17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Very nice.

18. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

Why o why cant that lot get an RSD release?

19. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Gold!!! Great score!

20. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Hey Mark, I know you are a busy guy but are you going to keep this thread going, as always I enjoy reading your thoughts on different albums and AC/DC is one of my favorite bands and would like to read the rest of your thoughts on the remaining albums.

21. mark winstanley

I am trying to wrap up my backlog of threads.... man I did a number on myself this year .... a little over enthusiastic lol.

Then I will rock back here and take us home.

The Doga, Queezma, Kim Olesen and 3 others like this.
  22. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Very cool ! Thank you Mark !

mark winstanley and The MEZ like this.
  23. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

I hopped on the AC/DC bandwagon in college when Black Ice came out, so I’m looking forward to revisiting that album. It’s been a while since I’ve listened to it all the way through. Perfect time to finally crack open that vinyl copy I’ve had.

The MEZ and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Just a heads up folks.
    I am going on a weeks vacation, and when I get back, I should have time to continue on here

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Have a great time Mark.