AC/DC Hi-Res Is Finally Here!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Sphinx-, Jul 18, 2020.

1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I have the same setup and I have never claimed to be an audiophile either. I have only heard one of the '94 remasters and it was the Jensen BiB which I had before I got a Diament version and it was decent and certainly better than the '03 version. I am content with the Diament versions of the Bon albums to the point I probably wouldn't seek out the '94 discs.

The Doga, c-eling and Rivers23 like this.
  2. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

So that the average Joe goes "Oh look Hi-Rezzzz boiiii!" and buys it.

whohadd, J_D__, Grim177 and 2 others like this.
  3. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Does the average consumer care about hi-res?
    Better yet, does the average AC/DC fan even know what 24/96 is?

whohadd, The Doga and walrus like this.
  4. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Probably not since most of them are using either Spotify or Apple Music
    Some probably but it would be a minority.

500Homeruns likes this.
  5. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Having grown up with tapes of the EU High Voltage/Dirty Deeds, I just prefer the albums like that. For the missing tracks I expanded my version of 74 Jailbreak (via iTunes)

74 Jailbreak (Expanded)

1. Jailbreak
    2. You Ain’t Got A Hold On Me
    3. Show Business
    4. Soul Stripper
    5. Baby, Please Don’t Go
    6. Stick Around
    7. Love Song
    8. Fling Thing
    9. RIP (Rock In Peace)
    10. School Days
    11. Carry Me Home

Because I got the bonus tracks from Volts and Backtracks and they are a bit loud I had to get the dreaded 03 Jailbreak to volume match.
    But I love it - it’s like having an extra Bon album!

wwright and Edmoney like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

given the sound of them, clearly the label or the band doesn’t care about hi-res either.

J_D__, Grim177 and 500Homeruns like this.
  7. Picked each of the high res albums up today. I have ALL of the diaments and I think BIB also in Ted Jensen form. Sampled a few tracks from each album of the high res releases. They sounded good on my HD 660S with no obvious problems with eq like bloated bass, scooped out midrange or piercing treble. So from that perspective they’re competent. There is obvious compression however. They sound compressed and examined in audacity visuals confirm it.

Let’s get one thing straight. The diaments are not even close to ideal sounding so I’ll let everyone decide what they prefer for themselves but overall these are good enough for many.

if we could get the dynamics of the diaments with the eq and tape quality of these 2020 remasters these would be no brainers.

maybe one day...

The Doga, Lonevej, -Sphinx- and 2 others like this.
  8. Vladimir Klyushnikov

Vladimir Klyushnikov Forum Resident

Absolutely agree. I also suggest everyone who blames hi-res remasters to turn on volume leveling in digital player (Roon for example) and switch back and forth between hi-res and old AC/DC masters without touching volume knob. I really don't get how to prefer old masters after this. Waveforms also look far better than many of modern crushed records.

wwright, Lonevej and -Sphinx- like this.
  9. -Sphinx-

-Sphinx- OM - Ordinary Man Thread Starter

Same here. I actually asked an old friend of mine for a lossless Barry Diament's rip (I have a later digipack version) and did a quick late night comparison with the new hi-res version of 'Back in Black' using only my headphones, which I must say are not as revealing as my main speakers. The 24bit material sounds much more open in the midrange, the highs are also more open and more extended and there is more 'air' in the recording. Sorry guys but for me the DR tells only in 30% what a given album sounds like. BTW out of curiosity I have compared DR R-128 factor (Dynamic Range - JRiverWiki ) of two tracks from the album and in both cases the hi-res versions actually proved to be better :cool:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    wwright and Lonevej like this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

That's the one thing they have going for them. They are actual hi-rez, info above 22 (44). However listening fatigue due to the compression for me would set in making them not enjoyable.

Carlox, George P and Edmoney like this.
  11. -Sphinx-

I have written about what I heard. I don't use Audacity or similar programs. :)

Ps. Ok, in extreme cases compression simply kills the music.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ya, I'll stick with my 80's CDs txs....

marcb, Carlox, The Doga and 4 others like this.
  13. -Sphinx-

I'm sure no-one will mind :)

blutiga, Lonevej and Bingo Bongo like this.
  14. -Sphinx-

Hundreds of views since Tuesday and not a single post..
    Just wondering - did we make people scared on this thread.? ;)

BTW - a new AC/DC upload (yes, I know it's an old video).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    robtodd likes this.
  15. The Doga

The Doga SHMF’s Number 1 AC/DC Fan

Hopefully Angus knows where they are... And yeah, but put the shrine in Brisbane instead! :D

blutiga likes this.
  16. The Doga

I honestly don’t see the point of these “High Res” releases... I have an ‘80’s Back In Black CD from Germany, and there’s no mention of Barry Diament at all on the packaging. I haven’t played it yet, however. And yeah, I do prefer the Jenson’s over the Marino’s. Especially on Highway To Hell, the Jenson remaster has life in it. The Marino is too loud and makes my good speakers distort like crazy.

17. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Agree with your assessment of the hirez sound quality in relation to Back In Black. Best digital version I’ve ever heard.

The new files available on HDtracks sound really nice in my system.

Steve356 and -Sphinx- like this.
  18. The Doga

Time for a bump.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  19. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

good time for that!

The Doga likes this.
  20. The Doga

Lol. In the end… Next year being the band’s 50th anniversary, you’d think something big would be planned with the catalogue, and not just let us continue to be stuck with what we currently have…

Vinyl Socks and J_D__ like this.