AC/DC New Album "Power Up" And Tour 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang Thread Starter

I didn't see a thread for this and all credits to Blabbermouth:

Report: AC/DC To Release New Album This Year, Tour Australia In The Fall

AC/DC is rumored to be close to announcing a world stadium tour. The trek will apparently include singer Brian Johnson, who was forced to leave the band mid-tour nearly four years ago due to a dangerous level of hearing loss. He was eventually replaced on the road by GUNS N' ROSES vocalist Axl Rose.

On Monday (January 20), Australian radio personality Eddie McGuire discussed the possibility of the legendary hard rockers' comeback on his Triple M Melbourne breakfast show.

Eddie said (hear audio below): "My mail is there will be a new album released by AC/DC February/March this year, but also that AC/DC will be touring Australia October/November 2020. And after a lot of work and a lot of technical research, they have been able to get a hearing aid for Brian Johnson, who will be out front. And even Phil Rudd [drums] might be back in the group either playing percussion or drums with Angus [Young, guitar] so that they've got three of — well, not the originals, but three of the old-timers, if you like, back there. They've had a few changes over the journey, but Angus out front, Brian Johnson lead singing, and maybe Phil Rudd, after his issues that he's had in recent times."

A year and a half year ago, Johnson and Rudd, along with Angus Young and fellow guitarist Stevie Young, were photographed outside Vancouver's Warehouse Studios. Based on the pictures, the assumption was that AC/DC was in the midst of making — or at least planning — another album, with Rudd and Johnson both back in the lineup.

Ever since AC/DC completed the tour cycle for its 2014 album "Rock Or Bust" three and a half years ago — a turbulent trek that weathered the forced retirement and eventual death of co-founder Malcolm Young, plus the departures of Johnson, Rudd and bassist Cliff Williams — fans have wondered whether sole remaining founding member Angus Young would keep the band going or decide it was time for AC/DC to pack it in.

Last February, a photo surfaced on social media suggesting that Williams has also returned to AC/DC and will appear on the rumored comeback album.

A September 2018 report from JAM! magazine cited a "reliable source inside the AC/DC camp" as indicating that the band was recording a new LP which would utilize previously unreleased guitar tracks from Malcolm Young on all the songs.

Rudd was ousted from AC/DC when he was sentenced to eight months of home detention by a New Zealand court in 2015 after pleading guilty to charges of threatening to kill and drug possession.

Rudd, who has appeared on all but three of AC/DC's 18 studio albums, recently toured in support of his 2014 solo debut, "Head Job". It was the release of that album that led indirectly to Rudd's arrest, with the drummer allegedly so angry at a personal assistant over the way the record was promoted that he threatened to have the man and his daughter killed.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. I love Acdc, but I kind of lean towards it being time for them to hang up their boots.

3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I love AC/DC as well and really enjoyed the Rock Or Bust album and looking forward to another album from them, this is great news. :edthumbs:

Any word on the bass player ?
    I hope it's Cliff Williams.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  4. Dark Horse 77

Rumors are that Cliff came back despite retiring after Rock or Bust.

phil.jp, blind_melon1, Sean and 3 others like this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Can Phil Rudd enter the US for the first time in 12 years?

I wondered if that was a stumbling block, but I'm sure Live Nation has enough influence to acquire a work VISA.

I've long heard that Brian's ear issue was made up by AC/DCs handlers to cover for the AXL stuff.

Jimmy B. and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Hope it's true that would be excellent !

7. Rafael Blues

Rafael Blues Forum Resident

Malcolm was a great guitarist, he continues to carry the band even after his death.

8. SoundAdvice

Grammys do surprises sometimes, and its on Sunday. They did it once a coulee years and were RUMOURED(+seen in tv teaser) for the 2015 Grammys but it didn't happen.

Cliff was 100% in Vancouver by 4 sources. He wasn't in the patio photos because he doesn't smoke like the others.

There might be a "Back in Black 40" and Farewell angle. I'm expected all stadiums 50 global dates and done for good.

Deuce66 likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Let’s enjoy it while we can because this is probably the end

Tim 2, Todd W., Stormrider77 and 7 others like this.
  10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It's been taking so long for this to eventuate after all the secret photos and gossip in 2018, I'd almost forgotten something was brewing. Great news if Phil and Cliff are involved. That will go some way to restoring the groove vacuum that Malcolm Young's loss meant.

Sean, drift and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

If Eddie can get ACDC to play the AFL Grand Final he'll have done one worthy thing in his life :D

12. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

What 'Axl stuff', exactly?

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  13. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I'd welcome a new album from AC/DC.

It won't be as good as Back In Black, but they usually manage one or two corkers.

And it would be very nice if they could try something a little bit different here.

Just a little bit - not suggesting that they should embrace 'trap' or anything like that! But something they haven't done for a while, like a slow blues.

Man at C&A and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

I'll continue to have my doubts about this until I have the record in my hands.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

They should cover the Great American Song Book like Rod Stewart ;)

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

keyword : rumour

Jimmy B. and erikdavid5000 like this.
  17. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

or Bob Dylan

18. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Hell yeah. The world's a better place with AC/DC in it.

19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Love him or hate him, Eddie McGuire wouldn't be breaking this if it wasn't already a long way down the pipeline to happening. I'd say you can take it to the bank.
    Eddie's a shrewd operator and we take our ACDC very very seriously Down Under :)

20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, it's going to be weird without Malcolm around--he was sort of a Charlie Watts of AC/DC--under the radar in many ways, but one of the most crucial elements in their sound/feel, but at least with all of Brian, Phil and Cliff back on board, it sounds promising.

21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Definitely interested. Hope it happens as I’ve never gotten to see AC/DC

22. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

Shoulda went with Axel...

rainbowblack13 likes this.
  23. Dark Horse 77

Naaa...Brian's done a great job filling in for the irreplaceable Bon Scott!

24. SoundAdvice

Same lineup as the last album.

25. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

But the guy's voice is shot. He needs to call it a day while he still has the ability to speak.:laugh: