AC/DC New Album "Power Up" And Tour 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I don't think, IMO, things will be "normal" for a show until late 2021....but can you imagine how crazy it will be when these guys get on stage again? I'm there!!!

2. Great interview. Apologies if it’s already been posted.

ssmith3046, JLPMacca, mpayan and 3 others like this.
  3. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I ordered the red vinyl of Pwr Up.

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Sweet message from Brian. What the next single's going to be :)
    Brian looks like he's got a bit of an audiophile set up behind him there as well. Wonder how the new album sounds through that?

5. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Howay! What a lovely fella.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I lived in Newcastle for a short while and everyone I've spoken to who's met him or knows him says the same. It's great to have him back and sounding great.

7. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Humble & gracious, an absolute gent. Both band and album deserve the sales and reception they've got over the past week.

8. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Tour? Probably not.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats interesting that there are different engineers for the red and black.

Joe Nino-Hernes is a member here and use to post quite a bit when he was first cutting his mastering teeth. His philosophy, back then anyway, lined up with Steve's and other well regarded mastering engineers. I dont think he has posted here though for many many years. Nice guy from what I recall.

Long shot perhaps but it would be nice to hear from someone who has both the red and black vinyl lps to compare them. If one is better than the other.

I would think that Ryan Smith would have the final say on mastering though. Since he would be, Id think, the senior mastering engineer.

However, the final final say, would be Angus Id guess. And for an important album to the band such as this one seems to be, he may have been more a voice on the albums sound than usual.

All speculation of course.

Anyone have both the red and black lps to compare?

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Revised my "Best Of 90's Til Now"

Added "Code Red" (like the Back In Black chord pattern reference and the Angus run progression that switches the song up. Plus its got a bit of Nazareth feel once again.) Good song off the album. Fun.

And I agree about "Through The Mists Of Time" being the best song after "Shot In The Dark" Plus it wraps the best of up nicely with some reflection.

Thunderstruck
    Moneytalks
    Fire Your Guns
    Hail Caesar
    Hard As A Rock
    Big Gun
    Stiff Upper Lip
    Rock The Blues Away
    Rock N Roll Dream
    Rock N Roll Train
    Rock or Bust
    Shot In The Dark
    Code Red
    Through The Mists Of Time

11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

It's extremely bad that there won't be, but yes, I have to agree with you.

Matthew Tate and vinyl diehard like this.
  12. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

When I listen to "Money Shot" I laugh because of the interview in which Angus kind of played coy and/or dumb with the meaning of it. I mean, come on!

Randy5554, Matthew Tate and Jimmy B. like this.
  13. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I am enjoying the side two tunes much more than the side ones. Side two is some great AC/DC.

14. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

I've had the cd for a week now. Started out being underwhelmed by it, all songs sounding very much the same except Mists of Time. Howeve ron repeated listens its been growing on me and starting to enjoy it more.

Production wise, Rock or Bust sounds much better.

I've caved and just ordered the silver vinyl too!

15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Agree.

Randy5554 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Why is the vinyl $35 most places? I saw you get a t-shirt at Target, but is this just a case of charging that much knowing people will pay it?

elgoodo likes this.
  17. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Angus's hearing must be shot to pieces!

18. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

I enjoy the first side (or half) of the album very much.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  19. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Any info gathered on the walmart red vinyl pressing quality vs the standard black?

20. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

was wondering the same. wal mart's red vinyl is a lot cheaper than that, particularly with their sale going on

21. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Is it part of the $15 sale?

22. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Isn’t the $15 sale over?

23. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Probably is over by now. Not sure if it was part of the sale.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

is the us wal mart red mastering or cutting the same or different as the us standard black?

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

OK, gave this a first listen all the way through.

Going on 2nd time now.....

Some random observations:

- My copy is neither a digipack nor a jewelcase. It is a mini-LP foldout sleeve thing (came from Amazon); the cheapest of the cheap packaging. Blech. Would much rather have a jewelcase or a digipack (a digipack is a paper outer shell with the artwork etc and inside is a plastic shelve to anchor the CD like in a jewelcase, can take many forms but always has that CD anchor piece in it). I suspect people are calling this sleeve release a digipack incorrectly but don't know.

For example a digipack would be my copy of Rock or Bust. Like this.

[​IMG]

Or the Epic reissues from 2003.

No matter, I am putting the CD in a one of those clear sleeves like I get with Japanese releases to try to prevent it getting scratched up naked in the LP sleeve pocket.

- I wish Angus' guitar was a little louder in the mix (and the backup vocals were lower).

- This is probably the most backing AAHHHHHs I've ever heard on an AC/DC album. Doesn't annoy me too much but could do without them. Especially on Through the Mists of Time.

- Who is singing the co-vocals in response to Brian's lines in the song Rejection? Like "I will look out for you".

- My fave songs on this thus far are:
    Shot In the Dark
    Through the Mists of Time
    Kick You When You're Down
    Witch's Spell
    Systems Down​

If I had to pick only one it would be Mists.

- It's new AC/DC and that's great to have more AC/DC afaiac but I don't see what all the hype is about like "this is the best AC/DC album since (insert your previous favorite here)" that I keep hearing. I actually like Rock or Bust better. And think Stiff Upper Lip is way better (my 2nd fave Brian Johnson era release). I need to revisit Black Ice to refresh my memory.

Matthew Tate, Gretsch6136 and twicks like this.