AC/DC New Album "Power Up" And Tour 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, Jan 20, 2020.

1. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Just picked up the CD yesterday from Target and listened to it this morning. Wow.....blown away! Going to listen again later on. Nice to see them put out something this good at this point in their career. :righton:

2. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

No you're not. I found streaming it on Spotify to be really fatiguing on the ears but the vinyl is better, I still wish the drums and bass had more impact and there was less emphasis on the cymbals.

jumpinjulian and JulesRules like this.
  3. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

I don't think you're the only one, adn I sympathise.

But I'm finding very listenable - still a couple of times a day.

When someone first mentioned the cymbals I started looking out for them and found them a little intrusive for a while after that... but I seem to have got over it again and I'm hearing the album like I was originally - turn it up and rock.

I prefer the production on, say, Rock or Bust, but it doesn't stop Power Up being a more enjoyable album for me.

4. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Stiff Upper Lip is the other side of the coin, a dry, dull sounding record which made the band sound kinda uninspired.

5. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

I also purchased the red vinyl...a Sterling hot stamper!!

drapes, Boomy and MikeInFla like this.
  6. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I have zero problem with the sound or production or the mix. Plays great in my car. Very crankable. Almost sounds like many here are complaining just with stock complaints because that's the norm here. No offense.

It's nothing like Van Halen's "A Different Kind Of Truth", which yeah, hurts my ears.

7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It's alright. Everyone's got different ears, systems, rooms...

Personally, listening to it yesterday I found that every time Rudd opens up that hi-hat a little more it comes across as just a current of pretty indistinct noise accompanying the rest of the music. Could've/Should've been less aggressive.

Complaining about what my favourite bands put out is not my favourite sport, but sometimes one feels that some things are not okay.

8. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Just listened to the vinyl and I thought it was a good record. No dip in musicianship at all.

MikeInFla likes this.
  9. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

The CD is quite compressed yeah. I noticed the difference switching between the vinyl and CD. Forgot to turn down the volume for the CD and nearly blew my eardrums

JulesRules and SOTO like this.
  10. Sanctuary

Sanctuary Forum Resident

I bought the gimmicky box and I’ve had it here since release day. To me this is one of their best releases since Razors Edge and even can sit alongside For Those About To Rock perhaps. The last few albums 2-3 albums have been good but forgettable. I like the production and as a big backing vocal fan this has very prominent creative uses of backing vocals( for AC/DC that is). It has the “hit”Shot In The Dark of course which is a song that will still sound good if I play it three years from now..but new classics like the introspective( for them) Through The Mists of Time, Witches Spell and onward. There is some sag towards the end as Systems Down and Money Shot fade from your mind shortly after hearing them, but this is their best in quite some time. Hey it’s new high voltage rock and roll in this our year of very little to celebrate, I’ll take it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It just wears on me after so many tracks in a row. Probably would be easier if I could use speakers but I don’t think my wife would appreciate that while she’s in the next room working.

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so after the word rock is the word money most common in ac/dc song titles or ball?

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Actually it’s not bad through headphones via Spotify, hell I may just pass on buying the album and just listen via Spotify when in the mood to listen.

Why reward with my wallet for crappy mastering?

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

After glancing at all their song titles, without counting, it's hard to say. Both Money and Ball seemed to be close after Rock.

Other words used a lot in titles are:

Shake, guns, love, dog, blues, shot/shoot (or variants of)

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Don't forget "hell" too (although maybe there are only 3 of those?)

Jimmy B. and primoridal_ooze like this.
  16. Hollywood really missed out overlooking AC/DC for the Moneyball soundtrack.

17. SOTO

SOTO Well-Known Member

Haven't bought yet. Was thinking of buying the 24bit file + the vinyl. Sound like I should avoid the CD for sure.

18. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Exactly, how can an album recorded today sound worse tjan one recorded by the same band 40 years ago?
    Digital fuxking recording, mixing...
    People make those decisions.
    In 1965, in London or California, you could not make a bad sounding recording if you tried. Maybe RCA and the Stones was as bad as it got. But today, the crap sound of today, these are decisions.

19. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

better than the black vinyl?

SOTO likes this.
  20. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Digital recordings are easier and cheaper. A lot in the industry know no better these days, they were brought up with it. It can be done well but nobody really tries to do digital well.

Count Orfloff likes this.
  21. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

I don't own the black vinyl. The red vinyl pressing is loud and has great bass. I have to admit my ears do ring after listening to both sides but I do have it cranked!

22. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Systems Down, Money Shot and Code Red are growers! Every track on this album gets the head nodding and the toe tapping. A Mutt Lange reunion would have been the icing on the cake.

Sanctuary and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

SUL is by far the best sounding record they had since FTATR. It's raw, natural and uncompromising. Blows away the horrible Razor's and the weak Ballbreaker. the drum sound on this record is the best i heard in a long long time.

24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

25. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I don't find it raw at all, Let There Be Rock is raw, Flick of the Switch is raw, SUL is a bore to get through.

KAJ1971 and Jimmy B. like this.