AC/DC New Album "Power Up" And Tour 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, Jan 20, 2020.

1. TryioToast

TryioToast Forum Resident

Stevie, it's a shame his parts on Power Up/RoB are buried at times. On Power Up it feels as though he is emulating Angus a lot more.

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Nice tie!

3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Reading through pages of thoughts, I’m not getting a good idea of how the vinyl sounds.

Is the vinyl any good ? Or does it sound like Van Halen’s last album which is murder of the ears?

4. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I wasn't impressed with the vinyl sq. sounded compressed with like others have said the hi hat is too up front and if you play something well mastered and then play power up you can really tell is either poorly recorded or poorly mastered.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Anthrax and bru87tr like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The mastering is gentler than the CD/digital versions on vinyl but the mix itself is very compressed

6. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Here is a non-serious fans opinion. This is all very similar to my reaction to the new Springsteen for me. In that for both of them I kind of like them, but likely missed half or more of their past 30 yrs work.

In both cases, I find the LPs very delightful, like perfect evocations of "this is the sort of thing I like about these guys, being done with great consistent professionalism and verve. Like, this is delivering exactly what I want out of AC/DC" without any one song necessarily rising to "this is going to be one of my fave songs of all time." But to the extent that it would be easy for me to imagine --- being ignorant---that it might be the best "doing the thing they do at their best very spiritedly and well"--this is their "best of last 3 decades."

7. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Vinyl sounds pretty good to me but I could be doing with more bass and less treble. To be fair O'Brien has made them sound re-energised compared to Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip which sound a bit dull.

Queezma likes this.
  8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

9. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

10. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Absolutely not. He's an utterly mediocre drummer whose limitations defined the band. He makes Lol Tolhurst look like Neil Peart.

11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Phil, Charlie, and John are the only drummers I know that can respect the the space.

Andrew Russe likes this.
  12. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Phil doesn't respect space. He's not good enough to fill it if he wanted to so has held the band back. He's a Mini Metro engine powering a Porsche. There's a lot of stuff AC/DC can't do because he simply isn't good enough to do it. Much as I love AC/DC, Phil is the weak link in that band.

13. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

This is the craziest thing I've read today.

bloodisthin, Sav, 905 and 10 others like this.
  14. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I'm not expecting anyone to agree with me on this. I always thought Chris was / is a much, much better player than Phil.

15. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

‘This

the guy is one of the most underrated drummers ever

16. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Phil Rudd has such a cool feel. So many musicians since the 80s are studied click track perfect. Nobody samples their stuff. He’s in there with Jabo and Clyde for defining drumbeats that no one can touch. It’s a Steven Gadd world but Rudd has swing feel and funk

17. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Chis is a much better player ..... just not for AC/DC

zabble, Andrew Russe and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Is it April Fools day ?

19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I'd love to know what the stuff they can't do because of Phil is supposed to be. I mean it's AC/DC what else would they do.

20. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i also agree that Chris Slade is a better drummer than Phil Rudd. I still like Phil, but he is a 4/4, boring and bland drummer for sure.

It's not even "fancy" or hard to drum to, but i'd wonder if Phil could even handle the speed of "Fire Your Guns", :D

but in the end, it just doesn't seem like Ac/Dc if Phil isn't there and he has done the job well during his time(s) in the band and he's part of one of the best bands ever.

markreed and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Yeah I see it mechanic, you probably will say you heard Booker T and James Brown n Free but if ya did ya d not of said it

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Blasphemy.

905, vamborules and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Yes. If Phil Rudd was holding them back from doing something different, that means that he's THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON in AC/DC! They never need to do anything other what they've always done.

24. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I totally lack the language to discuss rhythm in anything but vague "feel" language but most certainly on this new lp in question there is something I'm gonna call perhaps improperly "swing"---the drums give me a great feeling of a sway, not at all just like "I am marking some predictable count point with a sound" but a pulsation that especially as it relates to the guitars feels very pleasing and unique. Unlike lots of "rock" drumming especially post 80s that does just feel like "banging out a predictable count point," I actually notice and feel specifically what he's doing. Makes me wanna kinda stick my neck out in cool-dude strut. I am not the type to do a cool dude strut normally, or to want to.

25. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

He does have a "samey-ness" to his style but it works for AC/DC.

mdm08033 likes this.