AC/DC - Powerage - another question about the different mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sathvyre, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I don't think it was ever released on CD

sathvyre and marcfeld69 like this.
  2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

You are right - it is only available on vinyl.

McLover, The Doga and marcfeld69 like this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I just order the German 3 LP boxset that contains High Voltage, Dirty Deeds.., and Powerage. It seems the Powerage vinyl contains the UK mix and contains the track Cold Hearted Man. Strawberry in the deadwax for each LP, looking forward to hearing how these sound.

The Doga and Scope J like this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

If I buy a German CD of Powerage with this CD matrix: 781548-2.2 RSA, does that make it an original or remaster pressing?

Is that a Diament mastering?

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

For Powerage I’m trying to figure out which pressings was the first European release. Was it Atlantic 781 548-2 or Atlantic 0 7567-81548-2 9?

I assume one is the original and one is the reissue, but since they are both on Atlantic, why the change in catalog numbers? Do they both contain the same mastering? Is one preferable over the other?

6. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

It's a 1990 (Teldec) reissue of the original, I don't think it was remastered until '94/5 or so. There is no mastering credit listed at all and Mr Diament himself is unsure whether he mastered this version. I'm sure he done the original LTBR CD from the same time so there's a good chance he may have. Whatever, it is incredibly bass-shy but that maybe down to the source tapes used.

Unsure why the cat. number changed. If my memory serves me well, both cat. no's are reissues and use the same mastering... I'm not at home I'm unable to confirm this for certain, sorry.

The Beave and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  7. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Finally, after 17 posts offering nothing the opportunity wanted, we get somebody who actually give real information.
    Thank you!!
    Beave

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks for the info. I’ve ordered the CD, and I’m pretty confident that it contains the original mastering. I’ve just spent the last two days ordering original issues on CD for High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, Powerage, Highway To Hell, For Those About To Rock, Let There Be Rock, Who Made Who, If You Want Blood You’ve Got It and 74’ Jailbreak.

Digital Morphine likes this.
  9. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

The Euro/German reissue that adds 'Damnation' containing the original mix was pressed up until 1990. The remasters from 1994/2000/2003 are the only pressings originating in Germany that have the 'new' mix.
    You're welcome.
    I'm pretty sure you're right on it being the original mastering. Be interesting to hear what you think of them compared to later issues. Enjoy your haul :)

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  10. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

This box set has the U.K. mix, Or the u.s. mix?

there are 2 mixes, i own the atlantic u.s. version. and the release in this amazing box set. which mixes are different.

Only the first U.K. mix ? im so lost when it comes to this stuff..........

11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I never understood why Cold Hearted Man was unwanted on the international versions. It is a lovely song.

Gus Tomato, The Doga and sathvyre like this.
  12. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

it WAS wanted, the people who make the ridiculous decisions and put the albums together, screws it up mega. leave it to the u.s. record companies to mess with perfection.

hell even HK is now being manufactured in the Georgia plant... what is this world coming to ?? I only buy German BTW.

ODShowtime and Kim Olesen like this.
  13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

My LP has CHM btw. Been a very long time (over 25 years) since i listened to it. (Bought Poweage on iTunes when it became available there)

The Doga likes this.
  14. twister

twister Forum Resident

15. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

This thread intrigued me, I scored a super clean copy of the original UK press, all I can is wow! The different mixes are superb and well worth seeking out

I thought I was a pretty knowledgeable AC/DC fan, how did I go through 40 years with out this

ODShowtime and yarbles like this.
  16. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

This is how the album should sound, and this is how the album should start - with Gimme A Bullet, not Rock and Roll Damnation.

Accept no imitation!

The Doga and Digital Morphine like this.
  17. Jason payton

Jason payton New Member

How do i know if my ac/dc cds are the first press one it contains 6 cds and a flyer stating bonus stuff

18. sathvyre

Check Discogs.

19. The Doga

The Doga SHMF’s Number 1 AC/DC Fan

There’s one more difference between the 2 different mixes of Kicked In The Teeth: The finished version has a “hey” just before the song kicks into full gear, that’s missing from the original mix.

20. The Doga

I own both the original UK 9 song LP with no Rock ‘N’ Roll Damnation, and the 10 song version with it, and also a German 10 song cassette version. All versions I have of the original mix do have a non-faded Riff Raff. To anyone out there who has the 10 song version with a fading Riff Raff, can anyone clarify where the fade point starts?

21. td320_vinylist

td320_vinylist Forum Resident

I've been reading this thread twice, still don't know which mixes are on my vinyl version :). I have a 10 track Dutch version (pressed in Germany). Year unknown, due to the "strawberry" stamp in the runout it must be from somewhere between '81 and '83 according to Discogs. Rock 'n roll damnation is the single edit I think (because it's 3:05, which is shorter than other versions), but at the same time Riff Raff has no fade out and Kicked in the teeth has no "hey" in the intro (heard that version on Spotify).

The Doga likes this.
  22. Grim177

Grim177 Forum Resident

The running order would highly likely be the giveaway as to what mix you have.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  23. The Doga

Interesting observation.

24. sathvyre

Yesterday I listened to my own CD-R again. It contains my private remaster of the original album + the 8 different mixes from the EU LP. What a nice listening experience !!!

marcfeld69, Stuevts and The Doga like this.
  25. VinylRichieUK

VinylRichieUK Forum Resident

I have just received a 10 track LP version bought from Ebay, very glossy sleeve, Vinyl looks brand new but this may be a boot pressing. Rock 'n' Roll Damnation has the cold ending, Riff Raff has the fade at the end.

Cold Hearted Man is on it but the version of Kicked In The Teeth starts with Bon singing the opening line as opposed to the other version that starts with the band playing one note, I'm guessing this is an unofficial pressing made up of the original UK mix and the later reissued mixed versions.

It does say WEA 50482-A on side 1 and WEA 50482-B PF on side 2 in the runout grooves but I can't find any details on this pressing on Discogs etc..., does anyone know anything about this pressing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.