AC/DC - The Original Australian Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulisdead, Nov 20, 2017.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh man... shame I'm not rich.^^

The Doga and paulisdead like this.
  2. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Nothing is too hard to get hold of, except for the original (LP) version of TNT, which has only had a digital release with the first CD issue on Albert. That goes for big money although I believe there are counterfeit clones around.

3. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Ah, I figured as much. Since I'm not really a vinyl guy, I guess I'll have to stick with the US CDs.

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It's incredibly dispiriting to walk into a generic music outlet (jb hifi etc) and see US versions of the core catalogue sitting in the ACDC rack. And then to make it worse there is some abomination called Jailbreak 74 or something that 'mops up' iconic songs into some kind of Frankenstein 'mini cd'. Vomit.

5. tages

tages Senior Member

I believe this is correct. So not only does it mean a difference in sound for about a half dozen tracks, it also means you get edits everywhere. Kind of a mess. And they didn’t even use the proper Aussie “Highway To Hell” sleeve design.

E.Baba likes this.
  6. tages

tages Senior Member

I’ve always been confused by “Jailbreak ‘74” - what was the point?

And then “remastering” it is even more confusing.

7. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I was lucky enought to find both "Dirty Deeds" and "Let There Be Rock" in NM (Aussie Pressings). They are the way to go. The artwork to Dirty Deeds is just bitchin'!

The Doga, blutiga, Weirwolfe and 2 others like this.
  8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

The Doga, Jae and paulisdead like this.
  9. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

I remember reading about the original Albert versions of the AC/DC albums in the 1980s and I tried to find them. It was not easy. The only one I was able to find was Dirty Deeds, I bought it in ZigZag Records in Brooklyn for what was a lot of money at the time, something like $15.00. Flimsy cardboard that came bent and split at the glue line, but the music is amazing compared to the US version and it is my go to version today. Wish I had found the rest.

BitterMinnows and Library Eye like this.
  10. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

The Doga and izgoblin like this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

That was actually an official release from '84 which tried to bring Aussie-only tracks to international markets, but they missed a whole bunch. Should have had "Stick Around", "Rock in Peace", "Love Song", "Crabsody in Blue", "Cold-Hearted Man", and "School Days" - plus one more I may be forgetting. A 5-song 12" EP is a strange move. Oh well, I can't seriously fault anything with both "Jailbreak" and "Soul Stripper" on it... and a cool cover too...

I guess I should count myself lucky that I think the 2003 remasters sound great in spite of the compression. The Diaments and Jensens sound too weak to me. These ones punch, no matter how loud. Execute me if you want.

12. tages

tages Senior Member

They could’ve added “Carry Me Home” and “Fling Thing” too or, better yet, quit screwing around and just replaced the albums with their proper Aussie versions.

13. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Don Bartley mentioned he mastered one of these albums - does anyone know which one it was?

14. paulisdead

It's just plain un-Australian :agree:

15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Put it this way....it's a hot summers day 'Down Under'. You've got a long drive ahead of you, for whatever reason. You get a feeling, I've just got to have Dirty Deeds or High Voltage blastin out of the cd player. You haven't planned for it. The feeling just hit's you. You think, 'I'll just pop in to the closest music chain and grab a cd, get back into the car and start drivin. You walk into the store and the cds you want are the US versions which you don't want. :D

MC Rag, goodiesguy, The Doga and 5 others like this.
  16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yeah I know. First world problems. But geez. :D

paulisdead likes this.
  17. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i listened to a bit of ac/dc over the past several days on spotify. i do have the premium service for what that is worth.
    listened to a couple of bon albums (dirty deeds being my fave) and back in black which sounds smoking hot!

18. paulisdead

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I believe the CBS Sony reissues feature the same mastering so there may be two options for Aussie Albert AC/DC (unless you need to have the first Australian pressings).

Scope J likes this.
  20. paulisdead

Even the replacement cover of Dirty Deeds is lamer than the original. That original cover is pure Aussie rock.

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]

No contest. The Aussie one make me want to crank the stereo and sink VB. The U.S. cover is milquetoast.

21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

That's what only having the US versions to listen to will do to ya :)

The Doga and paulisdead like this.
  22. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

This is what the drive is like when you have the Aussie versions in the player :D

23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

24. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Nah...

Ebay and even Amazon... Shop smartly, compare prices... you'll get them rather cheaply on cd if you give it a bit of time.

If I recall correctly T.N.T. is the easiest to get, DDDDC the hardest (and most expensive). I got them being remastered.
    They're quite loud (Ted Jensen, mid-90's), but definitely the preferred way of listening to this era.

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member