AC/DC - The Original Australian Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulisdead, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Indeed could've, perhaps and maybe...I don't know for sure either but I do know bands and a lot of them are basically lazy when it comes to worrying about back catalog and all I was saying is they were released one way then changed later so usually when a band releases something that's how they want it at that point.

paulisdead and D.B. like this.
  2. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Let's face it Jimmy we're a couple of ordinary blokes arguing the toss over something we don't really know anything about. And that's what makes the Internet so great! Keep the faith mate :edthumbs:

paulisdead and Jimmy Agates like this.
  3. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Pretty much that's it - all good - it would be actually interesting to see what they do think about the rejigged versions though...unfortuanely we're running out of band members to ask :-(

paulisdead and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:)

5. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I did start a thread about a deluxe edition of powerage but the consensus (band Indifference?) was that it won't happen. I can understand bands not looking backward but when you release an album every5-10 years, don't you have time to look back?

Smart bands 'market' these differences'For the first time in 40 years...'

Ac/cd Powerage Deluxe edition - what are the chances?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  6. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Different sources used - see my earlier post in this thread.

paulisdead and tages like this.
  7. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I've done that as I own them all. The comparison is saved on my desktop - will retrieve it when I next log in.

Jimmy Agates and paulisdead like this.
  8. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I created this as a CD last year.

I used tracks from the original "Japan for Australia" EMI CDs as I think they are arguably the best sounding digital sources in existence. All I have done is repair the clipped intro on 'Baby Please Don't Go' and volume match a few tracks.

I created artwork as if the CD was released in 1986, alongside T.N.T (CDP 746272 2) and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (CDP 746273 2). The allocated number - CDP 746275 2 - follows that of "The Angels Greatest Hits". As the artwork is authentic, it is rather boring and bland by today's standards but completely authentic (right down to the barcode) by 1986 standards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Doga, sbardc, nlgbbbblth and 16 others like this.
  9. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Yes and no. There are actually numerous CD masters of the CBS release let alone the later Sony reissue, which is different again. However, I have not heard every CBS variation to know whether they are noticeably different. I suspect any difference would be minor.

The Doga and paulisdead like this.
  10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

That's fantastic. You should make a hundred copies and slip them into ACDC racks at JB. No one will notice :)

11. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I was asked offline about the history behind this title, which was actual an official release. So here's the (true) story for those interested...

In the first quarter of 1978, Ted Albert of Albert Productions was looking to squeeze a little more juice out of the existing AC/DC catalogue by issuing a greatest hits collection. Ostensibly titled "12 Of The Best", and conceived specifically with the Australian market in mind — though Alberts intended to sell it to Atlantic as good for them too — it would contain two tracks from the original "High Voltage" — 'Baby, Please Don't Go' and 'She's Got Balls'; four from "TNT" (still their best-selling Australian album) — 'It's A Long Way To The Top', 'The Jack', 'TNT' and 'High Voltage'; three from "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" — the title track, 'Problem Child' and 'Jailbreak'; and three from "Let There Be Rock" — the title track, 'Dog Eat Dog' and 'Whole Lotta Rosie'. Atlantic wavered over releasing it internationally, attracted by the fact it would cost next to nothing to produce, but concerned by the fact there had only been three AC/DC albums released thus far in America, four in the UK, none of which had been a significant chart hit. The idea of a 'best of' from a band that most fans still hadn't actually bought an album by seemed premature, even injurious. They nixed the idea, in favour of a live album.

The thought of a live album wasn't as random as it would seem. With the "Alive" series (there would be two more Alive releases over the years), Kiss had transformed the idea of releasing a live album — seen till then as, at best, a contractual stop-gap — into a commercial driver. With "Alive II" still hogging the US charts as AC/DC's then recently released "Powerage" struggled to a peak of No. 133, the idea of 'doing a Kiss' and releasing an AC/DC live album began to be openly discussed in the upper-floor offices at Rockefeller Plaza.

But Alberts felt it would do no harm to release "12 Of The Best" in Australia, at least. Indeed, it might provide the necessary financial fillip at a time when Alberts were pouring more money than ever into AC/DC, with ever more slight returns. There were no longer any easy-money gigs to be had in Oz. Meanwhile, the costs of keeping the band on the road in America, where even their few headline gigs barely paid the rent, and their big support slots cost a fortune in 'buy-ins', were only partly being underwritten by Atlantic. Everything else — from the wages for their road crew to that bottle of whisky Bon insisted be waiting for him after every show — was coming out of Alberts' bank account in Sydney.

From that perspective, it's easy to see why Alberts had been so keen to release an AC/DC greatest hits package. They got as far as designing a sleeve for the album and sending out a press release announcing its imminent release when – under pressure from the band, in the shape of George, and backed by Atlantic, who feared it would interfere with their own plans for a live album that autumn – Alberts reluctantly pulled it from its schedule. But not before a number of cassette copies were manufactured, which now sell for well into four-figures.

Eventually, in October 1978, Atlantic got its way and a live album, titled "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)", was released in the US, followed in Australia in November. In hindsight it was a wise decision, as to this day "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)" is generally considered to be one of the greatest live hard rock albums of all time.

Lamentably, "12 Of The Best" would be the closest to a greatest hits release that Alberts would ever get. To date, no greatest hits package of studio recordings has ever been officially released.

- Edit by me from "AC/DC: Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be" by Mick Wall [Onion, 2012].

12. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Forum Resident

Totally agree buddy.

The Doga, Scope J and paulisdead like this.
  13. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Forum Resident

On the off chance Mike Fraser actually sees this I'm gonna call complete BS on that, the way I see it is this, if those songs were really meant to be heard in their edited form, ALL releases containing the songs in question including the original AU albums would have had those songs that way from the very start, but the fact that the original AU albums which I might add predate the international versions had longer versions of those songs from the very beginning and stayed that way up until the 90's when AU started an unwilling transition towards the edited international versions tells me that the original AU versions were how the songs were originally meant to be heard from day 1, to sit there and try to say otherwise is a slap in the face and an insult to the intelligence of true AC/DC fans, and for the final Coup de gras against Mikes argument, some of the songs in question like Long Way To The Top (before it was retired after Bons passing) and Dirty Deeds always used the original AU layout for ALL of the bands live performances (with Dirty Deeds even retaining the AU layout for the ROB tour), now why would they retain the AU layout for all these years if the edited versions were what the band intended all along? I rest my case.

The Doga, cutrX, djoseph56 and 6 others like this.
  14. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

It's blasphemy.

The Doga likes this.
  15. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

This thread inspired me to seek out the original aussie vinyl albums. I've got High Voltage and TNT so far. Second pressings in NM condition. Sound great!

paulisdead, ispace, Scope J and 2 others like this.
  16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I'm actually cool with the international versions of High Voltage and Dirty Deeds, even though the Aussie cover for Dirty Deeds is better.

Let There Be Rock and '74 Jailbreak, on the other hand, are travesties. I will continue to complain about them every chance I get.

With Let There Be Rock, it is not the "international" version that you are now subjected to. The US version has been inflicted on you. The idiots at Atco US decided to reject Dirty Deeds in 1976, so when Let There Be Rock released, some genius at the company said, "Hey! Let's take this 'Problem Child' song from that album that we didn't like and stick on the new album, so we can take off that dumb song about getting crabs". Then, after Bon is dead and Back In Black sells five gazillion copies, Atlantic says, "Hey, this AC/DC band is hot. Maybe we should release that album that we rejected a few years ago." So, starting in 1981, we've had two albums with "Problem Child" on them. Not in Australia. Not in Europe. Just in here in America. (In the UK, only the cover was changed. The track listing was left untouched from the Australian version.)

So, then, when it comes time to release the CDs internationally, what does the record company do? RELEASE THE BUTCHERED US VERSION! :wtf: I guess they figured, it's not bad enough that we have subjected the US audience to this. Let's mess with the whole world. I can't imagine how confused Europeans were when they saw "Problem Child" on their CDs and "Crabsody In Blue" missing.

Now, the ideal solution was just to include both songs since they come at different places in the running order, but barring that, the record company should have told the US audience to suck it the way that EMI did with The Beatles and release LTBR with "Crabsody In Blue" and without "Problem Child". (And, I say that as an American.) They could have even kept the international sleeve. Just get the track listing right. (I still have my 1995 Aussie CD. I will never part with it.)

I think '74 Jailbreak was another creation of the American record company. A late entry into the EP craze. Basically, singles weren't selling anymore, so they just wanted a way to cash in on the song "Jailbreak". That was all well and good, but it should have NEVER made it onto CD. It should be a collectors' item on LP and cassette. They should have just rounded up all the spare tracks into a new odds and sods CD and called it something else. Who the hell wanted a 5-song EP on CD anyway?

Australians should get those first four albums back, remastered from the original tapes, in pristine, dynamic sound, with all the original artwork. It should happen immediately. It is a moral imperative.

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

18. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Forum Resident

Totally agree buddy. I’m from Sydney, Australia and have noticed this also.

19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

A longtime friend of mine had a friend in Australia who owned one of these, though I want to say it may have been just the cassette cover only that existed. This guy had stuff like one of the life-size Angus replicas from the Who Made Who video, a journal with lyrics that belonged to Bon, etc.

paulisdead likes this.
  20. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I have both masters (the CBS and Sony discs you linked are from the same master).
    - The intro to "Baby Please Don't Go" is slightly clipped on the 1987 EMI disc but not on the CBS/Sony discs.
    - The volume level is more balanced on the CBS/Sony... on the EMI the side 2 tracks (as per vinyl release) are noticeably louder than the side 1 tracks.
    - The EMI sounds, to me at least, slightly more open than the CBS/Sony

All things considered I think the CBS or Sony discs would be a good choice. No clipped intro, more evenly balanced audio, and much, much cheaper.

The Doga and Rockin' Robby like this.
  21. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

The first album i can remember reaching for and listening to was TNT when i went flicking through mums records as a kid.
    I now have that very copy (blue roo first press) and i treasure it, only a few years ago i found a copy at a garage sale (no cover) and i bought it for $2, it's now my "play copy".
    This is the only record i do this with, i normally play all my records regardless of how rare or expensive.
    But this is special :) check my avatar.
    Would love good reissues of the rest of their stuff.

The Doga, jamesc, paulisdead and 3 others like this.
  22. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

I've got the first 3 but not Let There Be Rock. I've see prices in excess of $200 AUD for a copy!!!! Come on Angus! If AC/DC can put out AC/DC wine, beer, towels, mugs and Monopoly (I'm not kidding)...then there should't be an issue with re-releasing a high quality vinyl of the first four Australian albums (or even a decent CD remaster).

[​IMG]

Rockin' Robby, The Doga and blutiga like this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

That's a very interesting point. It could have all ended up like that without Bon joining. No other frontman and lyricist around could have given them the real **** like Bon did.

The Doga, paulisdead and TheLoveDrags like this.
  24. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

It's just "look at the night sky" btw.

Sorry to be pedantic, but that movie is quite important to me :)

paulisdead and steveharris like this.
  25. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, figured it was better than starting a new one. As a long time AC/DC fan, I have just recently ventured into picking up the original Australian albums. I just ordered the Australian ‘89 CD of High Voltage, as well as both the ‘89 Australian and ‘87 Japan discs of TNT since they have different running orders/mastering (possibly mixes?). Regarding the ‘87 Japan disc, is there a reason the track order was shuffled around? Between the Japan disc and the Australia disc, which is the most accurate to the original album? Thanks in advance