Acoustic Panels - 1" vs 2"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Old Zorki II, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher Thread Starter

In a process of replacement my small absorber - diffuser panels with a bigger ones (several 48 by 24 inch). They all gonna be behind a listener.
    I read detailed measurements manufacturer provided, and 2" clearly more absorbent in low freq until approximately 500 Hz, after which differences became insignificant.
    If anyone had experience with both - which ones you prefer? I wonder if thicker panels can absorb too much bass...

2. Im following this thread.
    The background to this is that I live in a terraced house with so many reflections to begin with,wooden floors,mirrors,chimney breast and large windows.
    And it will get worse,Im revamping the room,there will be more glass,the Victorian plaster will be knocked off and at least one wall will be exposed brickwork,my neighbour now goes mad and its not going to get any better.
    The kitchen backs onto his house and in my room the bass isn't an issue,though in the kitchen with the door shut,there is a bass boom travelling through and Im not playing dance music.
    I am also having the kitchen replastered and the wall ajoining his house will be with acoustic plasterboard,what I do not understand is Hz readings and how do I measure them and deal with it.

Swann36 likes this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead SUDACA ROÑOSO

If your goal is better absorption of frequencies below 500, 2'' won't perform significantly better than 1, but 1 inch is extremely innefective at absorbing anything, so 2'' (or better yet 4) will improve absorption of mids and highs to no end. What kind of absorbers are you currently using ? Maybe acoustic foam ?

Kjasonl and Old Zorki II like this.
  4. The Pinhead

Rethink the increase in glass surfaces; it will wreak havoc on your sound. What's driving your neighbor crazy, the remodelation or your music ? Wooden floors not a problem with a generous area rug, and a brick wall reflects sound in the same way any other wall ,like plaster does; acoustic panels at least at the primary reflection points on the side walls and backwall are a must, an some difussion for the front wall (the one behind the speakers) is desirable as well, if you can afford it. Also thick drapes are necessary to kill the reflection from glass windows. One doesn't notice how vital acoustic treatment is till one puts it in place; it's worth every penny and then some. So many things click in place it's unbelievable.

Kjasonl, Swann36 and Old Zorki II like this.
  5. Whats driving my neighbour crazy is himself,very anal,he complained about a security light mounted on another neighbours house,the complaint was that it shined into his kitchen window,I suggested that he bought a blind.
    I am having some 1930s art deco glass panels installed and theres no going back on that and Ive found a 1980s crazy mad mirror 4'x3'layers of mirrors laid onto other mirrorsthat will be mounted onto the exposed brick wall,theres not a generous rug area only one,I do plan to use a generous scattering of sheepskin rugs.
    I have no treatments in place at the moment as its work in progress.
    The room is 16'x12' and 9' high.
    Im not going to win this but I do need to tame the bass.
    Shure m44,91.95.with a balanced arm,VTA is good and tracking weight is to the specs.
    Would corner bass traps be the answer or do I need to use scatters?

Kjasonl and The Pinhead like this.
  6. Old Zorki II

I am using now absorption-diffuser panels behind my seating position, wood on foam, made in Ukraine. Compared with nothing they made huge difference, but I believe there still some work to be done to remove unnecessary reflection. Those panels are just too small.
    Are you sure you are talking about inches and not cm? According to measurements 1 inch is quite absorbent.
    https://www.acoustimac.com/images/nrc/1.pdf
    vs
    https://www.acoustimac.com/images/nrc/2.pdf

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  7. The Pinhead

Yes inches; 1inch equals 2.54 cms. Made in Ukraine ? Seem odd 1.4 at 630 Khz yet the curve plummets towards 1-2-4-6 Khz ? I'd never seen something like that. Not saying those measurements are bogus, plus you can hear the results. And 1.15 NRC with a wooden panel on top; dunno man ! I'd go full absorption with recycled denim panels behind your coach and first reflection points, and move the Ukranian diffusor to the front wall, but you do you. Just my two cents. If you want someone to validate what you already have, maybe let some other forum member chime in.

Yes, but you'll have to go floor to celing with those to have effect. If you (or your better half) are hellbent on installing that much glass, you'll have to put up with the glass zing (worst of reflections)

Best of lucks with whatever you decide man !

Kjasonl likes this.
  8. Old Zorki II

No, those are not Ukrainian, made in USA. Classic panels with cloth cover and mineral wool or recycled ecocore core.
    Ukranian is what I have now, and no measurements available.

9. The Pinhead

Oh I see. Those curves are unusual anyway. I'd even take Auralex foam over those anyway.What brand is that ? Any chance of getting GIK or any other reputed brands ? They have way better curves.

10. Old Zorki II

It is AcoustiMac. Unfortunately here we have WAF factor and the only specific fabric she likes (I got samples from different panel makers) :).
    My question is more about absorption of lower frequencies - will it hurt overall bass response or not.

Kjasonl likes this.
  11. The Pinhead

Absolutely not. Go ahead.

Kjasonl likes this.
  12. Larry I

Larry I Forum Resident

Too much or too little bass is a matter of balance of frequencies. Hence, something that is not designed to selectively reduce bass is likely to make matters worse by reducing the other frequencies more than bass frequencies. Bass traps in the corners of the room can tame excess bass to some extent because they more selectively reduce the build up of bass modes at room boundaries.

By far, the best thing for controlling and managing bass is experimenting with placement of both the speaker and listening position. Moving a speaker by as little as an inch can matter significantly. If you cannot find a suitable arrangement that way, you might be a candidate for dsp equalization/bass management.

Kjasonl, Kyhl and The Pinhead like this.
  13. Old Zorki II

I actually quite happy with bass in my room, no resonances to speak off. Issue I am trying to solve here is my seating position with wall right behind, with reflecting sound from back wall doing it's damage to imaging, soundstaging and tonal balance (when loud).

14. Larry I

Larry I Forum Resident

As wide a bandwidth as possible of absorption is probably your best bet. I would consult with a company like GIK who make reasonably decor-friendly panels. Absorption panels can be really thick and ugly if you go the utilitarian route.

Kjasonl, Kyhl and The Pinhead like this.
  15. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

1" won't do any good. If you can do 4" - go for it. There are several makers which make panels with decorative covers. They look good in dedicated media room.

16. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

1 or 2” panels won’t do jack for bass.
    Bass waves will laugh at it.

those panels are good for flutter echo, and higher freq.

There is kinda never a question if panels can absorb too much bass. If there was, we would all be super lucky. Anything under 100hz almost any panel won’t do much to.

I didn’t know Ukraine made acoustic panels.
    Interesting

17. Old Zorki II

This is what I need...

18. Old Zorki II

I tried... but she does not want anything but plain cloth, and of one specific colour.

Kjasonl likes this.
  19. The Pinhead

That beats she terminally refusing to let you install any treatments whatsoever. So let her pick the color and go as thick as you can afford. Or threaten to replace all the glass kerrap with wooden panels and baseball memorabilia. My wife loathes my panels, and she picked the color (light gray) ! And I only have 6 of them.

Kjasonl likes this.
  20. Old Zorki II

She likes wooden diffuser panels I have behind speakers, but they are very pricey and not what I need behind my back )).
    [​IMG]

Kjasonl, Petie53 and 33na3rd like this.
  21. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

I saw similar panels molded from plastic. They are actually were very cheap - less than $100 each.

I see your environment is all white. You may find white fabric with black ornament or drawing on them and ask panel builder use these. Panel makers usually can do full custom build based on your specs.

22. Old Zorki II

I know that plastic is much cheaper, but divorce would make this cost astronomical.

bever70 likes this.
  23. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

If these diffusers are wood, you better have them finished in the same stain like horns in your speakers. This will look much better. Being white you cannot distinguish them from cheap plastic ones I mentioned above.

24. Kjasonl

Kjasonl " I'm on a low budget"

My sympathies regarding the neighbor. Good luck.

25. So would you recommend 4" corner bass traps?