Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. +1

George P likes this.
  2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Unless I missed something the mystery was never solved.

RVD30 likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I really don't know and was just going off the information from Discogs. I could see different stereo masters with Analogue Productions wanting a mastering specific to the AP SACD. I've never compared the mastering of the SACD to the Blu-ray. Probably won't as it really isn't a concern and only listen to the multichannel mixes of the SACD or the Blu-ray.

4. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

WYWH is one of my worst sounding SACDs. I can't listen to this, tried a couple of times, but no way.

Blair G. likes this.
  5. Are you referring to the multichannel or SACD stereo mix? I find the SACD 2.0 sounds infinitely better than redbook CD or the redbook layer on the SACD.

art likes this.
  6. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I hear you. And I'm now questioning my memory of things. I'm not confident either way either. I'll play these releases by ear to see if they are an improvement over previous redbook releases.

7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

You have to consider the limitations of the source. The other day I compared the SACD to the "holy grail" 2-track CD, and in the end I called it a draw.

8. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Are You Experienced sounds like garbage in stereo so I’ll take it.

9. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Stereo.

Soft, dull sound without transients.
    If the problem are the master tapes, then there must be better safety tapes to use instead.

Blair G. and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  10. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

I called Acoustic Sounds this morning to verify if the Redbook layer is only going to have the stereo mix on it and the person who should know was not in.

I was told he should be in within the next hour and he would return my message today. I will update this thread later after I have talked with him.

Fingers crossed that the listing on Elusive Disc is just incorrect.

11. E_Braunn_Fan

Just confirmed with Acoustic Sounds that the Redbook layer of Axis does contain both the stereo and mono mixes, but they are not sure about the Are You Experienced SACD because they have not received the new master from Experience Hendrix yet.

They aren't sure if there is enough room on the Redbook layer for both the stereo and mono mixes of AYE and won't know for sure until they receive the new master. I asked if there isn't enough room if there was a possibility of putting the mono mix only on the Redbook layer since it has never been available on cd in any form and they said unfortunately it isn't their decision it's up to Experience Hendrix.

They also contacted Elusive Disc to advise them to change their listing for Axis to state that both mixes are included on the Redbook layer.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  12. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Really? It's almost July now, and they haven't received the new master of AYE yet? Aren't AYE and AXIS, supposed to be released July 28, 2018?

clhboa likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

johnny q and marcb like this.
  14. E_Braunn_Fan

That is what they said. They have only received Axis master so far.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And people wonder why release dates move....

Myke likes this.
  16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

So there's no way AYE sacd will be ready by August 3rd, probably now looking at sometime this fall. Does this effect AYE album being released also?

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How are you concluding that? Aug 3rd is 6+ weeks from now. For all you know they have a slot reserved at the plant for mid-July.

I would say without reservation the digital file not being in AP's hands on June 19 may or may not have any significance on the release of the LP.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  18. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

A Saucerful of Secrets in mono and stereo is long over due from Pink Floyd!

goodiesguy, art, Kalli and 3 others like this.
  19. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Aha, confirmation that EH own the Grundman remasters then. Hopefully we'll see the stereo versions at least turn up on vanilla CDs next time there's some kind of anniversary/excuse.

20. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Small mystery. I have ordered Axis on SACD from Amazon, but can't find Experienced on SACD on Amazon. Anybody find it on Amazon US?

21. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

AYE was not released yet.

22. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

True, but Axis is not released yet either. I have that on Preorder; but can't do the same for AYE for some reason.

23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Any news on the Floyd titles?

:wave:

dadonred likes this.
  24. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds has just changed the release date for the Hendrix Axis SACD to September 28, 2018. We may get it next year.

25. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

If AP hasn't received the master yet, it is going to be a long time before we get the SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.