Acoustic Sounds Blue Note 50% off Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Ron Jones, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Nice! I only just got my shipping notice for my Mar 29th order. Granted, it's an international order, which always takes them a few days to prepare. I don't generally mind, as AS's shipping to Canada comes out quite a bit less than most other places I've tried. (They are criticized for not giving a shipping rate at checkout, but it seems like the reason for this is that they pack up the order, or at least weigh the contents, in order to get an exact shipping quote, rather than using some general algorithm that probably errs on the high side.)

Also, it was probably complicated by having having mixed vinyl, SACDs and some Record Doctor brushes that I wanted to try. But when it arrives, I'll certainly be set for "sheltering in place" for quite some time!

clhboa likes this.
  2. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

When I click on the link provided by the OP on the first post in the thread it brings up that 50% off graphic.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  3. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

When I click on the link provided by the OP on the first post in the thread it brings up that 50% off graphic.

4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

thats the first sale that ended weeks ago, but apparently still accessible via that link. If you go to website home page, youll see that banner is no longer there

Davidmk5 and hutlock like this.
  5. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Strange, but that explains it. Looks like I probably missed some Lp bargains then....

Davidmk5 and Swordsandchains like this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

The sale started with 218 items and is now down to 198. I don’t know how many were LPs but there is still a fair bit there. Sorry you missed it but you should still be able to get some great stuff here.

EDIT: Current link if you need it
    Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

scotti likes this.
  7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes been eyeing that 45 version as well (Friday Night In San Francisco) came close a few times, but have heard this record so many times because the stores I covered back in the 80's played this quite often and not sure how much I would listen to it. It's more of, do I put $60 towards an MMJ that I do not have or this, and every time the MMJ's win out...

@Crazysteve let us know what you think of the 33 because I bet that will sound damn good! I believe I have the original somewhere in my house, but have not listened to it in many years.

Crazysteve likes this.
  8. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Bought Water's Amused to Death on vinyl. I do listen to it via Spotify from time to time and enjoy it - be nice to have physical copy.

9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

how much does shipping to Canada typically work out to?

10. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Thanks for this.

hutlock likes this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

FYI: The banner that links to did no thave a % off amount. Likely reason we're seeing different things is whether cache has been cleared r not.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

What shipping option to Canada are you using?

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I suspect the key to shipping to Canada is asking them to use USPS.
    With the couriers not only is the cost higher but you run the risk of duties and brokerage fees

14. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

That Impex Friday Night in San Fran on 33 sounds absolutely perfect. Great packaging as well. It was my first listen today, and a great record to wake up to.
    To be honest, I never looked at this record because I thought it had something to do with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolored Dream Coat. Stupid me!

15. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Got 4 on the way; will let you know. Is there a thread somewhere already?

16. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Funny, I never thought to ask about USPS. Maybe early on I discussed it with them, but for a larger order, I find there's very little savings. If I'm ordering just a couple records from, say, MMJ (who use USPS), those have usually come through without any customs fees. But they still charge 30-40 USD for shipping. :cry: And for anything that does run up customs fees, Canada Post will charge an extra $10, on top of the 15% HST.

With Acoustic Sounds, I've always just used the FedEx Economy air option that they've offered. Brokerage is included, and there is no advancement fee if you open an account with a credit card on file. Also, for a while there, anything they cleared through Montreal was only getting charged the 5% GST, so it was a relative bargain! :rolleyes: (I think my current order got hit at 15%, though.)

What I tend to do is build up a wish list and make a larger order (usually coinciding with a sale), once or twice a year. (This year has already been an exception, due to the two sales, which I couldn't resist.) The base cost is probably around 30 USD, but it goes up pretty slowly, so 15-20 records/SACDs might only be $50-60. If I can get the unit cost down to under 5 CAD, I don't mind too much.

If you're somewhere where you can find some other audio crazies, you might be able to pool orders to make it more palatable.

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Because I live 10 minutes from the border I normally have everything shipped to a depot in Washington. Therefore free shipping and a nominal fee ($4USD) to the depot. The border guys on the way back never hassle me.
    But that isn’t an option right now so I’m exploring the direct to Canada angles.
    I’d rather avoid all those potential fees, which look to be higher than I expected.
    I may opt to have the orders shipped to family in Seattle, then pick them up when the dust settles.
    But that means I won’t have them in my hands for a while

18. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I just received the order I placed 4 days ago. I keep telling myself this is the last order from this "sale."

[​IMG]

19. moomoomoomoo

20. PATB

hutlock and MikeJedi like this.
  21. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I feel ya. I’ve placed 3 big orders with them the past week. Including once again today. Between sale stuff and these orders somehow showing up within 2 days, I’m both pumped and out of control.

MikeJedi and PATB like this.
  22. moomoomoomoo

In this case, I'll accept the blame! :)

MikeJedi and PATB like this.
  23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

PATB, I see you stocked up on some of the Verve SACDs in this batch.
    I’m seriously thinking of doing the same, let us know what you think of them.

Odd they forgot the AP logo on the Hodges with Strayhorn discs spine

24. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

What drives me nuts are the spines on the Impulse! discs. Some have artist in the orange and title in the black, some are the other way around, and a few are really neither way at all. Once I got all of them and stacked them all it really became clear how haphazard it is!

Galley and MikeJedi like this.
  25. PATB

It will be a while before I can get to them -- I have a backlog of LP's to clean, SACD's to rip, and new albums to listen. In any event, the AP Verve LP's I got from the sale all sound fantastic, QC issues aside (Acoustic Sounds excellent customer service department is sending replacements for the defective disks). Also, the Verve hi-res versions at Qobuz are really good, making me think the tapes must be in good condition. And posters upstream have commented on how good the Verve SACD's are. I would get the ones on sale now if I were you.

Blair G. and MikeJedi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.