Acoustic Sounds Blue Note 50% off Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Ron Jones, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Ordered the Mobley on SACD. Thanks for the recommendation!

2. moomoomoomoo

Verve for me. IMO, the APO's beat the #%$# out of the Universal 192/24 downloads. The impulses are very good also (mostly heard the few Ellington's on Impulse)

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Some of the Verve original CDs are better. Some of them aren't as full bodied as the SACDs. I spent a long time comparing various versions of Webster's Soulville, my favorite Verve album.

I have only heard two of the 24/192, I agree unimpressive.

4. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I’m really digging the Up at Minton’s Volume 1, but when I was just streaming Volume 2 off of Amazon Music Unlimited it was not striking me the same way. Where as volume 1 sounds inspired, especially Grant Green, the 2nd volume seemed to be reserved. Maybe it is due to it being mainly standards. I don’t know. I just don’t feel compelled to pick up the 2nd volume now at MM.

Rob Zarzecki likes this.
  5. moomoomoomoo

On my Oppo 95, even mediocre SACD's sound better than 99% of redbook cd's played on my pricey Tascam(Esoteric)/PS Audio Red book 2 box cd player.

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Got my 14 SACDs today :)

I ordered the 10 for $100 set, plus 4 more , and the box.

Listened to three so far, very nice.

Twinsfan007, hutlock and moomoomoomoo like this.
  7. moomoomoomoo

Ordered late last night; tracking # issued today. Impressive.

George P likes this.
  8. snowwhat

snowwhat Forum Resident

I’m on SACD #2 of an 18 cd order. So far, they’re sounding really good and I only have a redbook player.

George P likes this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

The only less than stellar mastering I've EVER heard from APO are ironically 2 of the SACD's from my last order! I am certain the redbook layer would be well done as you mention!

10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I don't know the history of this series, but it seems AP opted for a somewhat less diverse set of Blue Note recordings than MMJ was able to re-issue.

Down to a stylistic choice?

Still, half way through my purchases and no complaints. Sound is great.

11. moomoomoomoo

Sorry for being dense, but who is MMJ? Digital or vinyl or both?

12. Music Matters Jazz. Vinyl only Blue Note reissues

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

Thank you!

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

It appears as if there will be no 15% (or 20%) off sale this weekend at Acoustic Sounds (or Music Direct.)

15. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

hutlock likes this.
  16. BWV1079

BWV1079 Member

17. BWV1079

BWV1079 Member

Hutlock, I’m new to the forum here.... I too had been hoping to get the empty Blue Note sacd box. Did Acoustic Sounds have this on sale for $5!? And was it just one of the two boxes that they offered for sale? Because I cannot find the sale item any more...is it some where that I cannot find? I’m so bummed if I missed it, but it appears that is what has happened. Thanks for any info and help!

hutlock likes this.
  18. So a handful of the 45rpms are back up to $50 and no longer a part of the sale. It’s unfortunate, as a few of them were in my cart for a second order. Before I miss out on any more I want to place a second order today. I have 3 titles jockeying for a final spot in my order. Does anyone have any feedback from a sonic perspective on Sunny Side Up, Davis Cup, Along Came John, or Movin and Groovin?

19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I have Along Came John and love it, no complaints here but I don't have an audiophile set up. I freaking love when Green comes in at about the 2 min mark on the opening track Silver Meter - just rips a fantastic solo.

I've heard/read great things about Movin' & Groovin' but don't have it. Davis Cup -well, I have it on CD (not sure if RVG or McMaster at the moment) and it's not great in the SQ dept. If I were making another order I'd 100% have that title in my basket. The music is good, and hopefully this AP actually does the recording justice. And now I'm kicking myself for not picking it up in my order...:buttkick:

No idea on the Donaldson.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  20. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Yes; the first couple days they had them for $5 and then it went up to $15 and now back up to $50. I bought 2 for both sets since they were so cheap.

hutlock likes this.
  21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

First of all, welcome!

As for the empty boxes, yes they were selling them as part of this sale for $5. They were originally $50 but that’s a whole lot of cash for an empty cardboard box. They only made one style of box and it is meant for the first series of 25 discs, but because they never made one for the second series and they were so cheap, I just bought two and put all 50 titles in there anyway. So on the bright side, you only missed one box because that’s all they ever made!

You could always post something in our Want To Buy section here? Maybe someone bought extras and would be willing to sell you one.

22. dee

dee Senior Member

fwiw I'm + I had the Movin and Grovin disc and thought it was 'articulate' - bass, piano, drums. Fine trio quality. I had the sacd not the vinyl.

23. hifidelitea

hifidelitea Senior Member

The parcel arrived today, very well packed and no damages. Can only listen to 3 of the discs so far on SACD layer. Very well remastered.

24. Thanks for the feedback. I ended up holding off on adding another and instead added two Speakers Corner titles I've been eyeing for a while. I'm more keen on the music on these two albums than any of the remaining ones in the AP sale, and it got me free shipping.

Heading my way:
    Hub Cap
    Blowing in from Chicago
    Introducing Johnny Griffin
    The Genius After Hours
    (SC)
    It's Monk's Time (SC)

:edthumbs:

dee and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

Listened to Hub Cap (AP SACD) over the weekend and really enjoyed it!

dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.