Acoustic Sounds DSOTM SACD - Out now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor Martell, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yello,

Seems like it is finally shipping! My order status was updated to "In Progress"!

Which reminded me - I read somewhere that this is pretty much the same master as the 30 Anniversary SACD that came out a few years ago... So have a couple of questions...

1.- Is the above true? Is it the same master as the 30 Anniversary?
    2.- How about CD layer? One problem with the old 30 Anniv. SACD is that the CD layer is a different master, a CD master from the early 90s, I think, which many judge inferior to the master on the SACD layer... so the question is, does the Acoustic Sounds' release CD layer have the same master as the SACD layer (stereo) ?

One thing I hated was the artwork on the old SACD, it was different from the original album; for that, they made a physical representation of the original artwork... kind of the same as they did for the re-releases of "Relics", where they turned Nick's drawing into a real object... and while it worked for Relics, it does not for DSTOM. So IMHO worth to get just for the artwork, which is the original adapted for the book format, even if everything is the same...

v

2. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

The long wait is over. :cool: Thanks for the heads-up! I asked AS a while back but they didn't have a release date.

Wonder if this means anything for the Animals release... :waiting:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Victor Martell likes this.
  3. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

I think it was said the master is the same as the 2003 SACD. I would also be curious to know if that is accurate.

TheAbsentMind and Victor Martell like this.
  4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Just got this advert in my email from Acoustic Sounds.
    I assume it's the same mastering as the million or so DSOTM SACD's that were sold since 2003.
    Why not just release Animals or The Wall on multichannel SACD?

[​IMG]

supermd, vconsumer, Icenine1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

because you cant “just release” an album. This DSTOM took literally years to come out because of all the red tape.

6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

But millions of people already have an identical mastering of this Dark Side Of The Moon.
    It's the biggest selling SACD ever.
    Why would anybody want another one?
    The 2003 SACD is still available on some sites for less than £10 UK.

jamesc, klockwerk, audiomixer and 2 others like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Who knows....
    The Book Design looks nice so that may be a draw.
    I didn't care for the 2003 2 channel mastering so I gifted it to a forum member last year.
    The only reason I still have the AP Wish You Were Here SACD is for the packaging/design.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    vconsumer likes this.
  8. Swordsandchains

maybe not everyone has that one? I dont and am looking forward to this one. Problem with this forum everyone ask why someone needs a new copy, maybe this isnt for people who already have 1,2 or 10 copies. Plenty of young people like me who dont have these things.

9. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I rarely buy CD's or SACDs for the booklets you get.
    If I needed a booklet, I'd go into a bookshop and buy a booklet on Pink Floyd.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If this is, in fact, the same mastering as the 2003 SACD, then it's pretty pointless.

Here's a promo video for the new release on YouTube:

1) Chances are pretty much 100% it's the same content, same mastering, same mix as before
    2) The book looks pretty worthless, just providing another iteration of the same photos, no new text

audiomixer, Dave and c-eling like this.
  11. etca2z

etca2z Active Member

After a long wait of more than a year, Pink Floyd The Dark Side Of The Moon SACD by Analogue Productions has just released: Pink Floyd-The Dark Side Of The Moon-Hybrid Multichannel SACD|Acoustic Sounds

From the promo video:

5.1 and stereo mastering by Doug Sax and James Guthrie
    5.1 surround mix by James Guthrie, assistant engineer Joel Plante
    Original recording engineer Alan Parsons
    DSD Authoring for SACD by Gus Skinas

Anyone know if this is a remaster or just a re-release of the same SACD available more than 10 years ago?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    TheAbsentMind and Crimson Witch like this.
  12. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

etca2z likes this.
  13. etca2z

etca2z Active Member

Crimson Witch likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It has to be reissue of the 2003 DSOTM SACD as Doug Sax passed away in 2015. The Discogs link below shows all the credits of the 2003 SACD and they look to be the same as the APO SACD release.

Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon (2003, SACD)
    Doug Sax - Wikipedia

TheAbsentMind and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Analogue Productions and SACD.
    Feel the irony.

Carlox, IanM007, BeatlesBop and 10 others like this.
  16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

If the CD layer is NOT the compressed 2003 mastering (the 2011 mastering would seem to make more sense at this point), I'll probably get this.

17. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This hardly matters. Buy if for the DSD layer. If you want the 2011 mastering buy that CD. Likely it isn't reauthored, so it's more than likely using whatever was on the SACD iso file authored by Gus Skinas.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A FEW years ago? :laugh:

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe because the originals are nearing 20 years old - and have been noted for having issues with hub cracks/disintegration.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Because other Pink Floyd fans have been born or came around in the last 18 years ?

21. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Or because the 03' was a cracker. Or at least mine was.
    (cracker - center of hub splinters and destroys player)

22. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident Thread Starter

From what I understand it has been out of print for a bit - quick search, yes, you can get it relatively cheap - in an "Acceptable" condition - which as you know it means "Scratched to hell" - as you go up in price, you get to the "Near Mint" condition at $100 or more. It's all in the details - if you don't have it, and don't want a used SACD in bad condition, the AP is a smarter choice... Plus the artwork of the old SACD is just not fantastic...

v

Darren Richardson and Greg Gee like this.
  23. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Don't panic everybody - only the US based Crest made SACD hybrids were crackers (Crest crackers). Japanese produced discs were fine (as in the later production discs).

Simon A, McLover, SinnerSaint and 4 others like this.
  24. Swordsandchains

Just ordered mine, look forward to getting it next week. I was 13 in 2003 so this release is perfect for me

coffeetime and aorecords like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.