Acoustic Sounds DSOTM SACD - Out now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor Martell, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The 5.1 sound is the only reason to purchase this. For most people the 2011 CD will do.

2. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Going by the video, its exactly the same. Same pictures & same text as the inlay card of the old SACD.

3. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Duh! :D Did not think it through... in my defense, I did not remember that Doug Sax passed away... It's also in the video, which I saw, but... well, did not register.. good point!

v

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. Victor Martell

Well... in the grand scheme of things...

v

5. Victor Martell

Yeah probly - mostly is the cover - that thing they did, implementing the OG cover on what it looks like stained glass... never loved it... I just want it! will not be convinced not to get it or that I don't need it! :D

v

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have several copies of the 2003 DSOTM SACD. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the biggest selling SACD ever released. But being a "completist" I'll probably grab the APO SACD as well :help:.

7. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

only reason im getting it

8. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I would be curious to know the date on the back of the package. Sometimes Analogue Productions SACDs sit around in the warehouse for years while they wait for vinyl sales and maybe some other unknown reasons. Does it say 2021 on it anywhere?

Hopefully once some people get theirs they will post pictures.

Chili Town likes this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'd agree Bill. A big part being these were also sold at retailers. I remember Wal Mart carrying it.
    I got my Japan Manufacture via a huge Amazon dump fest for 8 bucks shipped :laugh:

TimB and Bill Mac like this.
  10. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Hold on ! I'm coming ! :cop:

11. dotheDVDeed

dotheDVDeed Forum Resident

I bought my copy from Circuit City!

supermd, Galley and oneway23 like this.
  12. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

If they used the original dsd files from 2003, then the eq and such should be identical. You can’t eq a dsd file, only edit or amend tracks. If there a an eq difference then they either converted the dsd file to analog or 96khz digital or an analog tape source.
    All that being said, the SACD authoring can cause it to sound a bit different.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Still holding out for the original Parsons quad mix...that doesn't come connected to a bloated package of fluff and copies of what I already own.

Having spent years being told no, the 5.1 isn't as good...why reward them for stuffing what I really want into an expensive box set.

Obviously not Acoustic Sounds fault though, they had a hole in the market, and they're plugging it! :righton:

14. Isn’t the new DSOTM reissue in a book form like WHWH?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  15. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

This isn't a new thing for them..

16. DGC2001

DGC2001 Forum Resident

Which mastering is the redbook layer? 2011 ?

17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I’m getting it because I can’t own enough copies of Dark Side of The Moon. I still have my reel to reel tape of recording the LP off the radio in the 70’s.

18. Gamer_299

Gamer_299 Well-Known Member

idk if i listened to a dud SACD but i hated the SACD for DSOTM it was super compressed/brickwalled and AFAIK it was playing the SACD layer, im gonna get the DSOTM immersion version just for the Bluray with the 24/96 mixes i could care less about the cds and dvds.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. Rycherocker634

Rycherocker634 Forum Resident

Top ten reasons I am buying this.

10. I am stupid
    09. I am stupid
    08.I am stupid
    . 07 I am stupid
    06. I am stupid
    05. 4 copies of the same album, 2 copies of the same master isn't that many.
    04. Having a back up of my most listened to version seems smart.
    03. It looks beautiful.
    02. I would by ALL the Floyd in this format and put on a special shelf next to my marbles (yes, those are already displayed). (Yes I am single. No, no mother, no basement).
    01. Hopefully they will release Animals, and release it this way.

20. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Don't own it... like it... bought it...

21. Donlin

Donlin New Member

Fedex delivered mine today. SACD stereo sounds amazing, really love the sound of the drums. I don't have the 2003 SACD so this is very exciting to hear.

22. Louis

Louis Well-Known Member

Would love it if someone made rips of the stereo layer.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  23. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

well , if their 2O year-old discs are already disintegrating, then unless the problem is being publicly addressed by the company in its promotion of this release and assurances given to buyers that this new set fixes those production QC problems and is guaranteed to not suffer the same unneccessary fate, then this one is already off the rails and all over the ground.

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

This has nothing to do with any current SACD manufacturing. Crest, a company that started making SACDs when they were hitting their peak, manufactured very poor quality SACDs. They were called "Crest Crackers" - and I have a bunch. The kind of plastic they used and the way the two layers were put together caused the center hub of many, if not most, of their SACDs to crack in the middle. Sometimes that crack was minor, other times it was so bad it made it to the playing surface, which when air would get in the playing surface under the plastic would disintegrate.

I don't believe Analogue Productions ever used Crest to manufacture any of their SACDs.

I have some Crest SACD that have actual little pieces of plastic disappear inside my SACD player. An SACD spins at a higher RPM than a CD, that a cracked hub had a tendency to crack worse when spinning at high speeds.

Suffice to say, once Crest was out of the picture - they either went out of business or stopped making SACDs, all SACDs were left to be made by a few remaining quality pressing plants in Austria and Japan and have no issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.