Acoustic Sounds DSOTM SACD - Out now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor Martell, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Waiting for my copies of DSOTM and WYWH to ship from acoustic sounds.

2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Thank you very much for the information, MikeT ! That is great to know :righton:

MikeT likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Hmm. From that article:

Analogue Productions have confirmed that the CD layer of the new SACD has “improved mastering”

Improved how? No details on what it is. Yet another stereo remaster? Or do they mean improved in that it uses the 2011 stereo remaster on the redbook layer, while the 2ch and 5.1 SACD layers are identical?

Enough of you maniacs who have the 2003 version will get this, that we'll know soon enough with EAC reports and DR logs what is identical to what, I suppose.

TheAbsentMind, stevef and ispace like this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Not me...

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

When I bought the Immersion boxes I knew that'd be it for me.
    10 years later it's still true.
    :winkgrin:

6. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

No clue this was coming out. Bought it. Hoping.

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Mine is on the way, along with Sing and Dance with Frank Sinatra. They will bond during shipment to become "Sing and Dance with Frank Sinatra on the Dark Side of the Moon." :pineapple:

8. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Billy Infinity likes this.
  9. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

My order was on the doorstep without me realizing it. And days early - FedEx delivered themselves even though it was SmartPost.

10. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Most of all I want to know the presence of differences, I do not really care about appearance. I have a Japanese-made SACD 2003 and a blue-ray from the Immersion box. Of course, I want this new release from AP, but shipping to my country costs even more than SACD itself - $47.

TheAbsentMind and scobb like this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

So sad that I want this just because of the "book" packaging! :laugh:

It'd be the third time I bought this SACD - I bought a Crest Cracker the week of the original release, then replaced it with a Japan-for-US disc that turned up for cheap at a local Borders. And I also have the DSOTM Immersion set. :yikes:

To be honest though, I probably won't bite unless I get some amazing deal on it.

Victor Martell likes this.
  12. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I've had that happen. Probably just a sorting error but I like it.

13. mooncusser2k

Me too! It sure sped up delivery. :agree:

14. Gamer_299

Gamer_299 Well-Known Member

If its not compressed ill consider getting it, (it would be my first SACD and i would also need to get a 2nd PS3 that actually supports SACD) if not immersion set at least if i get the immersion i can use my external BD drive to rip it and not have to go on a long hunt for a hard to find version of a PS3

Devotional likes this.
  15. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I bought it even though the shipping to the UK is expensive but the pre-order UK prices aren't really that much cheaper. I have all the digital versions so it will be interesting to see where it sits.....I will give the Immersion and original SACD versions a spin in anticipation.....

16. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

How is the sound of the SACDs of DSOTM and WYWH in comparison to the Blu Rays from the Immersion sets?

17. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

From memory I think the Immersion DSOM Blu Ray is best-as my system improved I became more appreciative of the SACD of WYWH-I'm not sure if there is that much in it though between that and the Immersion Blu Ray....

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  18. Sgt. Abbey Road

Thank you for your reply. I think that I don’t need the SACDs because I have the Immersion box sets:)

19. mooncusser2k

Out of curiosity, why hunt down a PlayStation when other SACD players are available?

20. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I will give them another spin out of curiosity I haven't compared them for a while........

21. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

I've never listened to the Blu-Ray but will say my old SACD DSD stereo layer (Japan disc) sounds as close to the UK 1st press as digital can get, that UK 1st being the best of any imo (have UK 1st, 2nd, 3rd presses, MFSL, 30th, AU Quad & various digitals)

22. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

My SACD was made in the EU and think it's the best I've heard this album.
    The new version is £60, so an easy no from me.

23. "Fly Me To The Dark Side Of The Moon"

supermd, Lost In The Flood and GregM like this.
  24. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Having done some listening today here are my findings.

Interestingly enough the AP WYWH SACD has a softness that I think veers into slightly smudging the sound (something I think I felt initially when I bought it) and in contrast the Immersion 96/24 version sounds a tad more detailed, faster and leaner which to my ears suits the album better both sound similar to my ears volume wise. I think DSOM is a lot closer though arguably difficult to distinguish this may well be that the recording is a tad more smooth-vocals more lush etc and therefore the typical SACD smoothness evens out vs normal digital. I might argue the DSOM SACD is a smidgen louder. All discs were listened to on pure audio mode.

It will be interesting to hear how the new SACD sounds......

25. Sgt. Abbey Road

Thanks for this detailed information:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.