Acrylic Platter static

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Garson, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garson

Garson Enthusiast Thread Starter

I recently cleaned my acrylic platter using some record cleaning solution and a brush. I was thinking because their properties are similar, it would be effective. It was. However, now my platter is getting a lot of static and clinging to records. Not enough to lift the 3 lb platter certainly, but static is THE enemy. Anyone have any recommendations to resolve this (short of an anti-static gun)?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd use a felt mat, just for decoupling and protection of my records. Wipe the platter with a dryer sheet to see if that helps before placing a mat on it. If you'd like some more platter mass, then a heavy, black rubber mat will help there.
    -Bill

3. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

You might try washing it with water and letting it air dry with no towel friction.

jesterthejedi, Garson and Ripblade like this.
  4. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

What he said...

5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I like the *looks* of acrylic platters but I'd never want one for this very reason.

6. Garson

A little distilled water on a microfiber cloth did the trick! Let that stuff air dry. Good as new. That was the first time I had that issue.

Soundslave, wgriel and Kristofa like this.
  7. Garson

you are the winner. Ding ding

Ripblade likes this.
  8. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Yay! I am glad it worked!

9. Garson

I’m glad this thread is still open. Eventually, the platter became statically charged again. Zero stat gun was the only true answer. After using for several months, I find I need to use it much less. Its a powerful machine that basically works with witchcraft, highly recommended.

jesterthejedi likes this.
  10. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

VPI acrylic platter owner (for years) & live in the northeast. I’ve never had an issue with static. I also don’t wipe the platter with a cloth, I’ll just use an anti static record brush on it occasionally.

11. Garson

It was only after using a brush and record cleaning solution to clean the platter that the static was an issue. Then it became a damn cumulonimbus. But the gun made my space static free. I can’t endorse this enough.

12. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

:laughup:

13. Marc Kremers

Marc Kremers Member

But why do acrylic platters gain static in the first place?

Mine was behaving so well and then suddenly it was static city.

Only thing I can think that I did differently before was use a static dust collecting cloth for two days as I’d misplaced my carbon brush.

Could it really build up charge from using that? And actually hold onto it for the next few days?

14. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Apparently so. Plastics can easily develop a charge and hold it...witness vinyl records. Just use the suggestion mentioned above and wipe the platter down with a damp cloth and let it air dry. Alternatively, the Zerostat appears to work well for that purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.