Actor Julian Sand R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by unclefred, Jan 22, 2023.

1. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie Thread Starter

Apologies if the search function was fubar but Sands went missing over a week ago in the San Gabriel mountains in California. Heavy snowfall went through the area as he began his hike. Due to the poor conditions, the search is limited to helicopters.

Julian Sands Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Hoping for the best but, honestly, pessimistic

audiomixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Hoping for the best.

I was rewatching Smallville last week and Julian was in some episodes.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Here is an individual who has a youtube channel, and after being contacted by media outlets (apparently about Mt. Baldy), he wanted to speak directly to the public about the dangers of winter hiking. Even if one hiked up these peaks in the summer, his point is that winter hiking the same route can be very dangerous, due to avalanches and hikers falling down and sliding . . . sometimes to their death.

5. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

There was an actor named Christopher Allport of whom I was familiar who died in an avalanche in Wrightwood, California in January 2008. He'd been in movies and television since the 1970s; not as well-known as Julian Sands but still a familiar face to me. Maybe some of you had seen him; he appeared on the popular TV show 'Mad Men' just prior to his passing.

I can't imagine what might've happened to J. Sands as I've never been mountain hiking, but I hope he's found soon -- preferably alive.

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

7. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Didn't know he was kind of an extreme hiker.

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Sad story.

adm62, MikaelaArsenault and 64FALCON like this.
  9. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Very sad. Boxing Helena is one of my favorite mindf&^% movies. Julian and Sherilyn Fenn are great in it.

MikaelaArsenault and unclefred like this.
  10. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie Thread Starter

he was in some interesting films, ken Russel's Gothic is a good example.

11. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Not just in Boxing Helena, Sherilyn Fenn is GREAT, period!

12. zed

zed Forum Resident

I find it odd how little press it is getting. Dude was such a cool looking actor. I feel like he had a second career coming up in playing some blue blooded villain. He's obviously dead and won't be found for sometime as I'm guessing he has become a meal for a mountain lion.

13. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Yes she is!

14. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

He was great in Warlock. Sad. Very sad.

vconsumer, MC Rag, Karnak and 2 others like this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I would never go hiking a California mountain during the winter with snow. It’s hairy enough when it’s dry. I wouldn’t be worried about avalanches so much as I’d be worried about all the loose rock.

I went hiking with a friend, a rock gave away (A lot of it is sedentary rock and not very strong) and I almost plunged my death over a steep cliff. But my friend grabbed my shirt and pulled me back. He’s Chinese and I’m half Chinese and I reminded him of Rita Hayworth in “the Lady from Shanghai.” How she quotes the Chinese proverb if you save a man’s life you’re responsible for taking care of him.

I’d say over the next 30 years I’ve bugged my friend for help a bunch of times, reminding him of that. Lol. The last time I asked him and reminded him, he rolled his eyes and said “I should’ve let you die…” Hah Hah Hah Hah

Funny thing is that quote may just be a fictionalized quote. Lol. I think I heard it in the Lady from Shanghai. Anyone remember?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

A Room With A View was the first time I remember seeing him way back in 1985 when I took my date (now my wife) to see it. Been a fan since. Hope they recover him soon.

jpelg, kt66brooklyn and 64FALCON like this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Actually I got my movies mixed up it was Jimmy Stewart in vertigo

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Shame... I hope he comes back...

longdist01, Karnak and kt66brooklyn like this.
  19. Hoping he’s OK but this doesn’t feel good.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

This is a youtube video about the Julian Sand case. The investigation is still ongoing, but I think this is a respectful summary of the situation:

longdist01 and zed like this.
  21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Canyoneering in winter is treacherous also. I post this video to draw attention to the incredible skill, determination, and courage that SAR displays. In January, two hikers were stranded in Subway, one of the most popular semi-technical (a few shorter rappels) in Zion National Park. They had already spent more than 24 hours in the canyon, and one of the two hikers was dangerously hypothermic. The only way to get to them and extract them was by helicopter.
    Stranded hikers rescue caught on camera at Zion National Park

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Drones for searching mountain slopes to dangerous to climb? Perfect! Score one for the hated drone.

23. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Not to sound mean, they not find him after winter season is over with.

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I would assume that there is some sort of tracking device that wouldn't cost too much to carry with you. I can understand wanting to get away and enjoy the wilderness, but if things get bad, I'd like to have to option - at the very least to let my family have some idea what happened.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm keeping positive vibes that they will find him.