Actor Robert Stack passes away

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by teaser5, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Dead at age 84. Loved him in 1941
    Best to his family

Peace
    Norm

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

crying during Dumbo!!

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

oh man...

My prayers to is family...

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

A very fine actor....Unsolved Mysteries aside, that wasn't quite acting, was it? But a fine voice perfect for the show; had weight and authority. And there was THE UNTOUCHABLES on TV; 1941, many other films, and I believe he voiced a character in the Beavis & Butthead movie that was pretty funny(something about a 'full cavity search' IIRC).

Seemed like a great guy. R.I.P.

ED

5. Matt

Matt New Member

My first exposure to Stack was Transformers: The Movie. Did the voice for Ultra Magnus.

R.I.P.

6. Matt

Matt New Member

Was also hilarious in Airplane! and great in "Written on the Wind." All highly recommended.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A great actor. Remember he played the sniveling co-pilot in "The High And The Mighty"? He gave my friend Deanna Durbin her first screen kiss in 1939!

He was great in the Bevis & Butthead movie as well.

We'll miss him and his great recognizable voice.

:(

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

For my money, Stack's greatest role was as Captain Max Kramer in Airplane!:

"This guy has no flying experience at all. He's a menace to himself and everything else in the air...yes, birds too."

"Our one hope is to build this man up. I've got to give him all the confidence I can. Striker, have you ever flown a multi-engine plane before?" (Striker: "No, never.") "****! This is a G--damned waste of time, there's no way he can land that plane...we ought to route him in Lake Michigan, at least we'll avoid killing innocent people!"

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

(Tower assistant: "Captain, maybe we ought to turn on the search lights now.") "No, that's just what they'll be expecting us to do."

"Ted, that was probably the worst landing in the history of this airport, but some of us here--particularly me--would like to buy you a drink and shake your hand . . and Ted, I just want you to know that when the going got rough . . ."

"Loneliness, that's the bottom line. I was never happy as a child . . . Christmas, Ted, what does that mean to you? It was living hell. Do you know what it's like, falling in the mud and getting kicked? In the head? With an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does, that never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question..."

"Municipal bonds, Ted, I'm talking double-A rating. The best investment in America..."

9. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I remember seeing Ernst Lubitsch's "To Be Or Not To Be" with Jack Benny and Carole Lombard on a bill at the Carnegie Hall Cinema in NYC, in the '70's, and being surprised to see Robert Stack as Benny's romantic rival.

But my favorite Robert Stack movie is the wild technicolor melodrama "Written On The Wind" directed by Douglas Sirk.
    He earned a well deserved academy award nomination.

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

"Full cavity searches! Each and every one of them. Don't stop until you get to the back of their teeth!"

Great man with a very distinct voice. Very funny in "Baseketball." Rest in peace.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll always remember him as Elliot Ness! R.I.P...Nie long life...

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

A fine actor and a nice guy. I once ran into him in Costco of all places. Like Leslie Nielson, he started out doing serious roles, but found another niche in comedies. R.I.P.

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

He was the perfect host for the "Unsolved Mysteries" TV sereies

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Steve, Deanna Durbin is still alive?! How old is she now?

Robert Stack was a terrific actor with a distinctive voice. He will be missed.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Stack's performance in "Airplane" was made all the more amusing because of his role in the granddaddy of all of those airplane disaster movies "The High and the Mighty" (as mentioned by Steve). The folks who made "Airplane" loved the kind of actors who played those roles because it was so funny to have them say ridiculous things with that super serious delivery.

Getting Robert Stack, Peter Graves, Lloyd Bridges and Leslie Nielsen to play those roles was a stroke of genius.

An earlier example of how well this approach could work was when Stanley Kubrick cast Sterling Hayden as General Ripper in "Dr. Strangelove". Coincidentally, Hayden played Captain Treleaven in the film "Zero Hour" from which Airplane was adapted and turned into a comedy.

If you listen to the commentary on the Airplane DVD, the filmmakers have nothing but praise for Robert Stack, saying that he, more than anyone, understood what they were trying to do and why it was funny. I think they even mention that he helped out explaining things to Lloyd Bridges who was a little bit concerned/confused by the whole thing. :)

Regards,

16. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

A golden 81, if a few websites can be trusted.

ED:cool:

17. I remember Robert Stack from the late 1960s TV show "The Name Of The Game". A couple of years ago Stack voiced a character on King Of The Hill called "Manitoba Cigarettes President". Never saw the episode but have always been curious about the character, since I'm from Manitoba.

A great actor. He will be missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.