Actor-Writer Spalding Gray Said Missing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steven, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven

Steven Senior Member Thread Starter

Link

NEW YORK - Actor-writer Spalding Gray has been reported missing, police said.

Police in New York City and in Southampton, N.Y., where the actor keeps his primary home, were searching for the actor. No further details were immediately available and the investigation was ongoing early Tuesday, said Sgt. Michael Wysokowski, an NYPD spokesman.

Gray's disappearance was reported Sunday, according to a story in Tuesday editions of the New York Times.

Gray, perhaps best known for writing and appearing in the autobiographical film "Swimming to Cambodia" (1987), had a history of depression and had tried to commit suicide in 2002, the Times reported.

His brother, Rockwell Gray, a professor of English at Washington University in St. Louis, said he had last seen the actor around Christmas.

"I wouldn't say he was in a happy state," Rockwell Gray told the newspaper. But "it wasn't unusual. He's been in a fairly depressed condition for some time."

Gray's wife, Kathleen Russo, told the Times she had been waiting for information about him but would not discuss his disappearance.

Gray co-founded the experimental Wooster Group theater in New York in 1977. He has appeared in such films as "Kate & Leopold" (2001), "The Paper" (1994) and "Beaches" (1988).

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

This is sad and weird.
    "The Paper" is one of my favorite movies but I can't recall which character he played. :confused:

Dan C

3. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Gray played the editor of the New York Times-style highbrow paper that Michael Keaton's character entertains an offer from.

His "monologue" films (Swimming to Cambodia, Monster in a Box, Gray's Anatomy) are all far more entertaining than they have a right to be, and well worth watching.

Hopefully he's all right, though given his history it's hard not to fear the worst.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

When the mind is not working properly, nothing matters...money, fame, health...VERY SAD...I wish him well and hope he's ok...

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

He wrote a semi-autobiographical novel recounting his depression.
    I quite remember one scene in the novel where he writes of his parents washing all the plates by hand before placing them in the dishwasher. Everytime I see my inlaws do this, I think of Gray.
    Jeff
    I agree, it's hard not to fear the worst.

6. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

From John Perry Barlow's website (a friend of Spalding Gray):

http://barlow.typepad.com/barlowfriendz/2004/01/coda.html

A few days ago, John also posted some nice memories of his friendship with Spalding:

http://barlow.typepad.com/barlowfriendz/2004/01/is_spalding_gra.html

I'll miss the guy. :(

7. GabeG

GabeG New Member

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

No, we don't know that he offed himself, though given his history, maybe this time he pulled it off....

Always found him to be an interesting fellow, wore many hats. When he appeared on Fran Drescher's "The Nanny" sitcom many years back, was kinda hard to believe, but I would guess they knew each other.

Let's hope and pray for the best. But gotta admit, this isnt one of those things that looks very good on the surface.:shake:

ED:ed:

9. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I read that that the last day Spalding was with his wife and son, they went to see the movie "Big Fish" , which shocked me, because the movie is all about a father-son relationship where the father dies.

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Perhaps this is what was on his mind that day....

Very unfortunate, "Swimming To Cambodia" is a great viewing experience.
    Hoping for the best,

Evan

11. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

They've found the body. :(

Story

12. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Alas, it's true.
    I would loved to have seen one of his monologues performed live.
    Now I never will.

13. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

15. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Now It can never be a Spalding Grey world. Just a Rick Dees world. (quote from a simpsons episode) Mr. Grey will be sorely missed in this house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.